8 replies to this topic

#1 ArcherChick

ArcherChick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:50 PM

Advertisement
Hi all! I hope everyone is feeling well today. I am new to this forum so any help would be very much appreciated...I've had colitis now for about a year and a half. I am 21 years old. I always take immodium when i have D flare up. If i'm out somewhere and I feel like I'm going to have to use the restroom I usually take two of them and it stops it so I don't have to go at all...I was just wondering if anyone knows if too much immodium is bad for you? Or if I shouldn't be taking it to prevent the D???Thank you so much in advance!!! :(

Advertisement

#2 Liberate

Liberate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:11 PM

No, Imodium universally accepted as a safe drug. Beyond that, 2 is nothing.

#3 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,895 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:24 PM

Generally the only time they worry about Imodium with diarrhea is for some of the acute diarreha diseases where you really want the body to be in flush quickly mode.For something chronic like colitis, as long as the dose is not constipating, you should be ok.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#4 SLBEL3

SLBEL3

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:02 PM

I would say it's generally safe. However just be careful about constantly using it. I've been using it for 13 years now, and over the past maybe 5 years i have to take 12-15 immodium tablets to slow me down enough to go out. Sometimes it's only a couple days a week, and sometimes, like now during my kids sports events I have to be gone for like 8 hours every single day so I have been taking 12-15 pills ever single day for the past week, thankfully though I still have bm's thru the day just not D. My docs are aware of this but don't seem too concerned about it. But my body is building a resistance to it and soon it's not going to work for me anymore. I don't want that to happen to anyone.
Love, hugs, and prayers
Sandi
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Live life to the fullest, while you can, because you never know when you won't be able to anymore.

#5 wearyone

wearyone

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:30 PM

Hi all! I hope everyone is feeling well today. I am new to this forum so any help would be very much appreciated...I've had colitis now for about a year and a half. I am 21 years old. I always take immodium when i have D flare up. If i'm out somewhere and I feel like I'm going to have to use the restroom I usually take two of them and it stops it so I don't have to go at all...I was just wondering if anyone knows if too much immodium is bad for you? Or if I shouldn't be taking it to prevent the D???Thank you so much in advance!!! :(

I have had diarrhea-predominant IBS for 35 yrs and have taken Imodium since it came out on the market. It doesn't sound like you are misusing it all and you are lucky that only two will stop it so quickly. I have taken 7 in 24 hrs which far exceeds the recommended dosage and made myself nauseated, and it has taken a long time for the bowel to come to life again afterwards, but other than that nothing serious has happened. Imodium doesn't work too well for me anymore as I have used it so heavily for so many years, so my doctor is starting me on a low-dose antidepressent. In any event, I wouldn't exceed the recommended dosage on Imodium and try not to use too much or you will become tolerant of it like me.

#6 wearyone

wearyone

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:42 PM

I would say it's generally safe. However just be careful about constantly using it. I've been using it for 13 years now, and over the past maybe 5 years i have to take 12-15 immodium tablets to slow me down enough to go out. Sometimes it's only a couple days a week, and sometimes, like now during my kids sports events I have to be gone for like 8 hours every single day so I have been taking 12-15 pills ever single day for the past week, thankfully though I still have bm's thru the day just not D. My docs are aware of this but don't seem too concerned about it. But my body is building a resistance to it and soon it's not going to work for me anymore. I don't want that to happen to anyone.

Wow, I just read your blog. The most I've taken is 7 in 24 hrs and it made me kind of nauseated, and feeling like I need to sit or lay down a lot. I, too, can still have bm's right through the Imodium and I do think that is a sign that we are becoming tolerant to it. It doesn't work real well for me anymore for treatment of D if it has started, but it still works fairly well preventatively if I take enough. I have to start the day before an event for it to work. It is still the best over-the-counter med I've found.

#7 gottogo

gottogo

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:28 AM

Immodium has been causing problems for me. I usually am IBS-C. However I also suffer from GERD. I took meds for GERD which caused the D. Then I had to take 2 immodium to stop the D. Now my problme is the C. So I posted here, but feel now that I need to go over to the Constipation section and post to get an answer to my C without having to take laxatives.Just 2 did me in. I guess I will not take immodium anymore since it really stops me up. yuck!

#8 tltrull

tltrull

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:14 PM

Immodium has been causing problems for me. I usually am IBS-C. However I also suffer from GERD. I took meds for GERD which caused the D. Then I had to take 2 immodium to stop the D. Now my problme is the C. So I posted here, but feel now that I need to go over to the Constipation section and post to get an answer to my C without having to take laxatives.Just 2 did me in. I guess I will not take immodium anymore since it really stops me up. yuck!

Maybe you can just start out with less.....maybe 1/2 a tab. or 1. Calcium with each meal may also help, one with low magnesium, like Caltrate D(purple bottle).

#9 Forrest

Forrest

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:39 PM

What i have found about Immodium a little to much is not good on your liver,so i watch what i take!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here