#1 Screamer

Screamer

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:51 PM

Advertisement
Hi guys! I suffer periodically (for no reason I can come up with) with an acidy feeling in my intestines. It literally feels "hot" in there and I get "hot" gas as well where every bit of gas that needs to come out feels hot and burning. Sometimes it affects my BM's, other times they are fine but I still have the burny stomach pain and the hot gas. It doesn't matter if I am C, have D or neither, it still happens and sometimes goes on daily for a few months before it eases up again.I do have GERD but I don't think it's related to that, I take Nexium for it and it doesn't bother me much. So does anyone know what actually causes this? Or what I can do about it? I've tried taking probiotics for it (take them anyway) and aloe vera (the inner juice only) but I'm just baffled as to what to do cause nothing seems to put out the fire!!! And I'm tired of it!Thanks in advance for any idea's!!
"Animals are my friends...and I don't eat my friends."
--George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Peaceful Prairie
Please feed an animal, click here
Go Veg!
My Blog
Amy-IBS-A-Sigh, oh well, they say variety is the spice of life :P

Advertisement

#2 Feisty

Feisty

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:07 PM

My oldest son was experiencing the same thing a year ago. After lots of tests and biopsies, etc, they found an ulcerated area inbetween the small and large intestines (I forgot what they call that area.......Flux, help me out here!!!) . He also had ulcers in his stomach. He was put on Ansacol. He is much better now and I think he said he is off the Ansacol. They suspect he may have the early signs of Crohn's, but they are not sure because the biopsies didn't show that. I hope you can find some relief soon.Sometimes I have that burning "hot" feeling when I pass gas, but I figure it is due to whatever I have in my diet at the time. It isn't an every day occurence for me.

#3 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:02 PM

Feisty,can you ask about this "area" and how they diagnose it?For me,it's mainly my lower sigmoid colon associated with my bladder.IT BURN!iT HELP TO POUR VERY COLD WATER ON IT.
---------------------------------
-->IBS INDUCED BY NSAIDS NAPROXEN
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
-Permanent discomfort/cecum&sigmoid stuck/trapped gas-
---->IBS-Type constipation normal transit time(diagnose with non-relaxing puborectalis december 2005)
--->Pubic nevralgia
***WORST PERMANENTLY SINCE RIFAXIMIN

#4 Screamer

Screamer

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:46 PM

Hmm thanks Feisty. I had a colonoscopy about 2 or 3 years ago (can't remember which, life has been a bit of a blur since the twins came along 4 years ago!) and nothing showed up but this burning just drives me nuts. I know I get it when I eat too much mustard or cook in mustard oil but I haven't really been eating anything too spicy lately and for a while there I was pretty much eating bread and potatoes and things were still burning :(
Peaceful Prairie
Go Veg!
My Blog

#5 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,853 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:17 PM

Sometimes excess bile can cause a burning sensation (it is irritating to the colon) so especially if you tend loose you might try LNAPE's Calcium or Questran.For some people pain can just feel burning even if nothing is actually acid or burning.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#6 Screamer

Screamer

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:21 PM

Sometimes excess bile can cause a burning sensation (it is irritating to the colon) so especially if you tend loose you might try LNAPE's Calcium or Questran.For some people pain can just feel burning even if nothing is actually acid or burning.K.

I do tend to get D but the Effexor XR is fixing that problem up for now, the calcium made me too constipated so I stopped it (gotta love alternating!). Questran also caused me worse burning for some reason. Thanks for the info though!
Peaceful Prairie
Go Veg!
My Blog

#7 Feisty

Feisty

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:34 PM

Sometimes excess bile can cause a burning sensation (it is irritating to the colon)

Yes. I'm wondering if you have too much bile. From what you have said, it sounds like you have acid reflux problems. That can definitely cause burning in the stomach and esophagus. I had it something awful until the surgeon fixed the hiatal hernia and did a Nissen Fundoplication to tighten the floppy valve at the bottom of the esophagus. I was getting so much backwash it was burning the esophagus. Lots and lots of heartburn and acid reflux. I couldn't lay down at all. I slept in a recliner for the last 3 months before surgery. I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagitis about 4 years prior to the surgery, but I had the symptoms a long time before diagnosis was made. Prevacid worked well for me for several years, but then the acid reflux got too bad and nothing worked anymore.

Feisty,can you ask about this "area" and how they diagnose it?

Spasman..........it's called the terminal ileum. He had an endoscope with biopsy and a colonoscopy with biopsy, a barium swallow/x-ray, ultrasound, and a scan to check the liver and gallbladder. It was the scoping that showed the ulcerations. And the barium swallow showed the narrowing at the terminal ileum.

#8 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:20 PM

THANKS FEISTY.My barium enema is normal :(...and they have not reach the cecum with the colonoscopy.I was in so much pain not being sedated.
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
---->IBS-Type constipation normal transit time(diagnose with non-relaxing puborectalis december 2005)
--->Pubic nevralgia

#9 hope*

hope*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:17 AM

Amy, i have that burning feeling at the moment in my lower right side and hot gas :( i have wondered what it is to :) i eat a lot of honey, could that be the problem?
Though lovers be lost love shall not. Dylan Thomas

All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

#10 Screamer

Screamer

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:00 AM

Hmm I don't know about honey. I guess it could be the fructose in it (the fruit sugars). I wish I could connect mine to a particular type of food but it doesn't matter what I eat I seem to get it if I'm going to! Maybe try easing up on the honey for a couple of days and see if it makes a difference. When I get it I generally have a really gassy feeling gurgling belly and it burns in there too, like when you have a gastro bug, only I don't always get D when I have it.
Peaceful Prairie
Go Veg!
My Blog

#11 hope*

hope*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 06:57 AM

It is hard Amy, i really believe my ibs is not food related, yesterday i hardly eat anything and had cramps most of the day like i was going to have a D attack, and nothing happened, i can only put it down to my period is less then a week away (i cant wait for them to stop) they say find your trigger food, i havent yet.
Though lovers be lost love shall not. Dylan Thomas

All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

#12 Vikki

Vikki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:44 PM

I actually have this sometimes myself. It feels like someone is running a hot poker through your intestines? They ache a little bit but mostly it feels like someone has set your bowels on fire. Sound about right?? For me, I find it happens when I eat something I shouldn't. For example, I'm lactose intolerant. I ate a pasta bake with melted cheese on top last night for dinner, which should be fine but I've overdone it a little lately with the lactose and this morning when I woke up, the burning was there. I also find it happens if I go to bed with indigestion. I seldom get heartburn or acid but I get very bad trapped wind and indigestion that stays in my stomach and bowels quite often. I read about it and somewhere it said that when your body doesn't properly digest something, it ferments in the stomach and/or bowel, causing the bloat and what can be horribly offensive wind. I wonder if the fermenting might be what causes the burning sensation.Try keeping a food diary for a while. Note what you eat and drink and when and then when you have the burning. If it is a food intolerance, it should be clear from that.

#13 Rowe2

Rowe2

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:59 PM

Hey Screamer! I've had this, too :(~ makes you want to find the nearest cool creek and sit right smack in the middle of it! LOL I am almost positive it is bile. Too much dumping into the colon, but not sure why. Gallbladder problems maybe?I am also on Effexor XR, and let me tell you, I know if I miss a dose. I'm only on 37.5 mg. once a day, and it keeps the D episodes down. Most of the time when I get D now, it's when I've been very stressed over a loved one. Hope you find some answers! :)

#14 Screamer

Screamer

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:13 PM

Phew so I'm not insane then! I'm glad some people know what I'm talking about! Yeah, I just wanna drink something to put the fire on the inside out! It just feels as if my entire stomach and intestine contents have turned to acid. And yes, my gas is not exactly pleasant when I have it. I just had a though, the Effexor is keeping the D away but it's giving me horrible gas and rumbly sore belly (seeing my GP about it today). I wonder if it's also causing this bout of burning?As for food intolerance, I've done an elimination test where I ate the basics and nothing else for 6 weeks and there was zero change in any of my symptoms :) I gave up on the whole food thing and pretty much eat whatever I want (well not dairy or spices or egg these days but that's ethical not IBS related). I'll ask my GP about it today I think. I've brought it up before but he usually just tells me that's IBS for you :( He did get my gallbladder checked out though.I also don't see any relation between my GERD and my acidy belly but maybe there is a connection there.
Peaceful Prairie
Go Veg!
My Blog

#15 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 07:57 AM

Hi honey :( .The burning sensation maybe exacerbate by triggers.However treat it as a pain!CHECK THIS OUT IN AUSSI LAND:THERMOGRAPHY FOR PAIN MAPPING:http://www.thermography.com.au/

Pain ManagementDITI provides the only method available for visualizing pain, and offers a valuable assessment of pain and pathology anywhere on the body. DITI is cost effective, risk free and provides instant images. Thermography Australia assists with a number of pain management techniques and monitors the outcome of these programs.

Posted Image
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
--->Pubic nevralgia

#16 Karma

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:58 PM

I have that burning stomach in my intestine area, too! It's so nice to know I'm not the only one. (Although, of course, I don't wish any of us had this). But that hot, burning sensation comes 'alive' when I'm really constipated. If I'm really constipated and have some citrus fruit, then it gets really bad. Unfortunately, I have no idea why that happens. sorry.

#17 Screamer

Screamer

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:57 AM

Awww Spas, did you just call me honey ::bats eyelashes:: :) Hmm that's interesting. I might just look into that. Thanks for the linky :) So I asked my GP about it yesterday when I went to see him. He said that is mostly a sign of colitis, but given that I'd been scoped 2 years ago and was getting it sometimes then, just not as often and all the biopsies had come back clear that he just didn't know what it is :( Hmmm if it's a sign of colitis shouldn't he be double checking or something? Karma, yup, you're definately not alone! I thought I was too, it definately gets worse with constipation or diarrhea but I do just get it sometimes for no reason too. I don't eat any fruit so can't tell if it gets worse with citrus but as I said before I know mustard oil is a big no no for me.
Peaceful Prairie
Go Veg!
My Blog

#18 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:56 AM

Awww Spas, did you just call me honey ::bats eyelashes:: :(

I did? :)It's because aussies are special people. :)
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
--->Pubic nevralgia

#19 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

FOR THOSE WITH BURNING SPOT,DID IT START BEFORE IBS?Screamer,if you can go there,it would be really helpful.I beleive this burning pain could play a major role in disturbing the bowel creating spasms and pain.It's always good to investigate pain without invasives test.
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
--->Pubic nevralgia

#20 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:42 PM

Interesting article from a neurological center(click on the link please):Pain: Hope Through Research:http://www.ninds.nih...hronic_pain.htm

Neuropathic pain is a type of pain that can result from injury to nerves, either in the peripheral or central nervous system (see The Nervous Systems in the Appendix). Neuropathic pain can occur in any part of the body and is frequently described as a hot, burning sensation, which can be devastating to the affected individual. It can result from diseases that affect nerves (such as diabetes) or from trauma, or, because chemotherapy drugs can affect nerves, it can be a consequence of cancer treatment. Among the many neuropathic pain conditions are diabetic neuropathy (which results from nerve damage secondary to vascular problems that occur with diabetes); reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome (see below), which can follow injury; phantom limb and post-amputation pain (see Phantom Pain in the Appendix), which can result from the surgical removal of a limb; postherpetic neuralgia, which can occur after an outbreak of shingles; and central pain syndrome, which can result from trauma to the brain or spinal cord.

Burn pain can be profound and poses an extreme challenge to the medical community. First-degree burns are the least severe; with third-degree burns, the skin is lost. Depending on the injury, pain accompanying burns can be excruciating, and even after the wound has healed patients may have chronic pain at the burn site.

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome:http://www.ninds.nih...c_dystrophy.htmChronic pain:http://www.ninds.nih...hronic_pain.htm
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
--->Pubic nevralgia

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here