5 replies to this topic

#1 kc99

kc99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 06:35 PM

Advertisement
Hello, I've been reading this bulletin board for several months, but this is my first time posting. I am thinking of trying some kind of probiotic supplement, but I'm not sure if that's right for me. I have had IBS for ~4 years now. The major symptoms are abdominal pain, bloating, and mild C that is controlled somewhat by a fiber supplement. Usually a normal day includes several trips to the bathroom, starting in the morning and continuing after lunch, and only after those several trips and a sense of "complete evacuation" does the pain start to subside, and then I feel relatively normal in the evening. Previously, I have tried Bentyl, which only made the C worse, and Zelnorm, which just caused massive D (which I never have otherwise). My next plan is to possibly try taking a probiotic supplement, perhaps Align or acidophilus; however, I am concerned that either of these (and especially Align) might worsen the C. In general, it seems like probiotics are much more effective treatments for IBS-D than they are for IBS-C. Has anyone tried probiotics for IBS-C?Thanks!

Advertisement

#2 Tiss

Tiss

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:32 PM

I have read where they are helpful for either. I just started on probiotiics after 2 weeks of amoxillin for an abscessed tooth. I have more gas but I've read (on the probiotics forum) that this is normal for a few weeks. It has not made my C worse.
Tiss

#3 Bethany Aubre

Bethany Aubre

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:50 AM

I have IBS-C and use the Acidophillus Pearl from GNC. It helps some with the bloating and seems to really help with my cramps, and doesn't worsen the C at all. Everyone is different though, so you sort of have to find something that works for your body, but I highly recommend the Pearls. Good luck!

#4 kc99

kc99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:36 PM

Hi Tiss and Bethany, thanks so much for your comments. This is useful information. My doctor mentioned that the majority of his patients also get their probiotics at GNC, so it sounds like a good place to start. Also I definitely know what you mean by the individual variability in the response to these kinds of things. So I imagine it will be a process of exploration...

#5 postmortem

postmortem

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:50 PM

it neither made it worse or better except sometimes i get diarhea not sure if its from the probiotics or just my dumb stomach.

#6 Jana21

Jana21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:08 AM

I have found that probiotics have really helped me. At first I just started eating yogourt with probiotics in it (Activia) and I found a big difference when I didn't eat it. Now, I have started taking acidophilous regularly; I do have softer stools. I'm not sure if it's helping with the cramping and gas yet but I'm going to keep trying.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here