#1 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 11 February 2000 - 04:41 PM

Advertisement
I went for a mammogram today and I know some have asked the question before does taking calcium have anything to do with calcium deposits showing up on the xray and I was told it does not. I was told I have a lot of calcium deposits in the breast but nothing to worry about and it is not related to taking the calcium supplement.Linda
Linda (D-Type)If I don't take my calcium. Gall Bladder removed in 1976 and suffered with urgent diarrhea until I started calcium.

lnapents@aim.com

Advertisement

#2 Speedy

Speedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 February 2000 - 05:34 PM

LNAPE........read somewhere about calcium deposits building up on the heart and causing some type of heart problem.....can't remember where I read this.......do you know anything about this and whether supplements could cause this ?------------------Speedy

#3 HipJan

HipJan

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 11 February 2000 - 06:26 PM

LNAPE -- I think there could be different theories about this subject, but I like what you said...it's comforting to me! I had calcification appear in my last mammogram too and was kind of scared at first. Did anyone explain to you why calcium would end up there (esp. if not from supplements)?...just trying to get a little more clarification for myself. Is the body not properly absorbing calcium and it ends up in "odd" places? (At least, that's what I was told could be happening in my own case.) Or, could it have to do with "old" mammary glands?Thanks. I know that calcium and estrogen seem to be "attracted" to each other, from what I've read and heard and figured out. Glad yours is OK!
"Cast your bread upon the waters..."

#4 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 11 February 2000 - 11:29 PM

Speedy,I know taking calcium is good for regulating the heart beat. I do not know much about calcium deposits ending up there.HipJan,I will be having a visit with a female vascular surgeon is a couple of weeks and I will ask her theory on the calcium deposits in the breast or other places from taking calcium supplements and will let you all know.Linda
Linda (D-Type)If I don't take my calcium. Gall Bladder removed in 1976 and suffered with urgent diarrhea until I started calcium.

lnapents@aim.com

#5 Rose

Rose

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 12 February 2000 - 12:52 PM

To all of you who have calcification in the breast! From my first mammogram, I had calcification deposits in both breasts...so I had to repeat the mammography every 6 months for 18 months to make sure it didn't change. Lots of women have calcification deposits and for the most part than can be harmless..however they have to be watched very carefully. Generally harmless calcification show up on the ex-ray as tiny bright white dots sprinkled throughout the breast. In some women they can stay like that forever..never causing any problems. They become a concern if they start multiplying and moving together causing a "cluster", as is what happened to me. Another warning sign is if they turn from bright white to a dull and grainy-looking like tiny pieces of sand, which is also what happened to me...just in my left breast. When this happens and left untreated than can become pre-cancerous and eventually become malignant. Last summer I had to have the calcification in my left breast removed because it had changed from my previous mammogram. I was lucky they were benign, but if left untreated for any period of time who knows if I would have been so lucky. Because calcification deposits are so tiny doing a needle biopsy to check for malignancy is impossible..they have to be removed. Not a fun procedure at all but well worth the peace of mind. I'm not trying to scare anybody, but please take calcification seriously, especially if prior mammograms showed no calcification and all of a sudden it just pops up. It is probably "harmless", but needs to be "watched" to make sure no changes occur. As far as taking calcium supplements being the cause for these?? I seriously doubt it. Due to being a "C" type and the fact that calcium is constipating, I certainly don't take "Extra" calcium and I have them...so I doubt very much they are caused by too much calcium.------------------"Today is the first day of the rest of your life"Rose
"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"
Rose (C-type)

#6 MissyCat

MissyCat

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 12 February 2000 - 03:47 PM

Calcification in the breast has nothing to do with the amount of dietary calcium you ingest. This is from Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book. I'm in the middle of my own breast cancer scare (if you'd like to read about it, the url is: http://missy-cat.homepage.com/profile.html ). During this time, I've been researching everything I can about breast changes, lumps, and cancer, and every thing I've read says that calcifications in the breast are not related to the calcium you ingest.That being said, I want to urge all women to do their monthly breast self-exams (BSE) and to talk to your doctor about regular mammograms. If my lump turns out to be malignant, I will probably survive it because I caught it very early in my BSE - so early that I know it wasn't there last month.------------------Fear can hold you prisoner.......hope can set you free.Missycat >^.^<

#7 Persistance

Persistance

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 12 February 2000 - 03:51 PM

I didn't want to scare anybody, but I am glad for the last two posts. This is not something to be ignored and it has nothing to do with taking calcium.
Judy

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

John Donne

#8 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 12 February 2000 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for yourpost guys. I did have some lumps removed last May and everything came out just great. I will keep a close watch on this also.Linda

lnapents@aim.com

#9 justme

justme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2000 - 06:34 PM

I too had a calcification on a mammogram done last March. In order to be sure of what it was they did a core biopsy and luckily it was just calcium. I then had to go back in 6 months and they did report a slight change and now I'm due to go back again this March. I just started taking Caltrate in Aug. as I was just diagnosed in July with IBS and I have been wondering about taking the Caltrate. I've asked some questions but am not getting full positive answers...I seem to get a "we don't think type answer". I'm happy to see this post and have a little more to go on and I fully intend to ask some more questions on this next exam. This is such a great board and full of much more info than just IBS.

#10 Guest_BETTIE_*

Guest_BETTIE_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2000 - 11:48 PM

Linda,Thanks for this great topic.Please keep us updated.......We still appreciate the info you gave us on the Calcrate Plus (purple and white box). It has indeed helped so many folks.........------------------LET'S ALL PRAY FOR A CURE TO THIS IBS SOON!BETTIE

#11 Kelli

Kelli

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 February 2000 - 12:15 AM

Hi everyone, I have been reading these BB's for awhile but this is my first post. When I read the posts about calcifications I had to reply. It's a subject I am very familiar with. I have had two biopsies in the same breast for calcifications within 3 years. Both were negative. My surgeon said they are NOT caused by calcium intake. In fact, they are not sure what causes them. It seems that some of us are just lucky! Although 85% of calcifications are benign it's important to keep a close eye on them with follow-up mammo's etc. If I can be of any help to anyone please feel free to e-mail. Kelli

#12 Guest_BETTIE_*

Guest_BETTIE_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2000 - 12:43 AM

Kelli,Welcome to the board......------------------LET'S ALL PRAY FOR A CURE TO THIS IBS SOON!BETTIE

#13 Rose

Rose

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 13 February 2000 - 12:26 PM

Missycat,I'm sorry to hear you are in the middle of a breast cancer scare. I seem to remember reading sometime last summer that breast cancer runs in you family? I can't remember exactly..a sister maybe? It runs in mine also..my mother died of it and her sister (my aunt) had it also. I have had two lumps removed and calcification deposits removed..all of which were benign, but each time was frightening...so I empathize with what you are going through. I remember consoling myself with the knowledge that at least if they were found to be malignant..they were detected early because I keep up with my monthly breast exams and mammograms as do you. I will pray that yours turns out to be benign also. When are you having you biopsy?------------------"Today is the first day of the rest of your life"Rose
Rose (C-type)

#14 JeanG

JeanG

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 13 February 2000 - 12:48 PM

Hi Kelli, and welcome to the Board! It's good to have you here. JeanG------------------I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! ANDMay the "farce" be with you. JeanG
*** Seeking accurate information in the fight against IBS ***

#15 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 13 February 2000 - 03:01 PM

Kelli,Thanks for the input on calcium and calcifications in the breast. I seem to have a lot of them and I had surgery last May to check out some suspious looking ones. It all turned out fine and I know just how scarry you become when you think you may be facing breast cancer. We all must do the monthly exams and keep up with the doctor recommended mammo's. I know I do.Thanks again,Linda

lnapents@aim.com

#16 MissyCat

MissyCat

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 13 February 2000 - 04:11 PM

Sorry I'm off the topic here.......Rose - I had the fine needle biopsy last Thursday, but I won't know the results for a week or two. You're exactly right - the lump is very small, so if it is malignant (surgeon says it doesn't feel like a brest cancer lump), I've caught it erly and I know I can fight it. That's why BSEs are so important - I know this lump wasn't there last month.I have 2 sisters diagnosed with breast cancer at ages 40 and 42. Oldest sister has now been cancer-free for 5 years. Middle sister (I have 4 sisters) just finished all her treatments and is on her way to frequent monitoring. In addition, we had 2 aunts who lost their battles with cancer - one had breast cancer and one had ovarian. The current research indicates that if it is genetic, breast cancer and ovarian cancer are linked. Scary.I found it to be therapeutic to pour out my feelings in writing while I've been going through this; if you're interested, the web site is http://missy-cat.homepage.com/profile.html . ------------------Fear can hold you prisoner.......hope can set you free.Missycat >^.^<

#17 HipJan

HipJan

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 13 February 2000 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for this discussion. My earlier mammo. had come back as "normal" from both the hospital and the doc's office, but the technician kept telling me during the mammo. that I had a lot of calc. showing up. I had tried to follow up with my doc's office but didn't get too far...now, I believe I'll try to contact the hospital directly and ask if I should return for a 6-month follow-up.
"Cast your bread upon the waters..."

#18 MissyCat

MissyCat

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 15 February 2000 - 12:54 PM

bump------------------Fear can hold you prisoner.......hope can set you free.Missycat >^.^<

#19 Rose

Rose

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 15 February 2000 - 01:27 PM

Missycat,I read what you wrote on your home page. You put into words exactly what I was feeling every time I had to go through this. Hang in there, hon..sounds as if you will be getting good news from your biopsy. It's hard to do, but try to stay positive.------------------"Today is the first day of the rest of your life"Rose
Rose (C-type)

#20 Kelli

Kelli

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 February 2000 - 02:52 PM

Thanks eveyone for the welcome. It's nice to feel like you have something in common, unfortunatly, it has to be breast cancer scares and IBS.Missycat, I read your page and your feelings are so similiar to what if felt with my biopsies. It's amazing how similiar. I don't have the breast cancer in my family but I do have lung cancer (my father, his sister and their mother all died from it.)I just quit smoking a little over a year ago. We also have alot of heartdisease in my family. I also feel that I need to get in shape! Quitting smoking really adds pounds.I am glad your surgeon gave you some positive feedback. I feel that if they were not almost positive they wouldnt say it. So it really sounds good!This discussion reminded me that I am almost due for my 6 month mammogram and surgeon visit and the thought brings those small feelings of fear that we know so well. Well, sorry to have rambled on. Just wanted to let you know that you are so not alone. If you or anyone else would like to talk, my e-mail address is Kjs6661 ###aol.comKelli

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here