4 replies to this topic

#1 cynthia

cynthia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:01 PM

Advertisement
I'm new to the fibromyalgia forum. I've been posting on the SIBO forum. I haven't been able to find threads here on the link between SIBO and fibro. Have there been any? Many with IBS have been subscribing to SIBO antibiotics. Are those with fibromyalgia doing the same? My son is a sufferer and I wanted to try the recommended antibiotic xifaxan. Would like to find any info on those who have done this too. Anyone?? Thanks

Advertisement

#2 M&M

M&M

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:20 PM

I am not aware of any link between SIBO and Fibromyalgia. I have read that SIBO is fairly common in Fibro patients, but it doesn't seem that the treatment for SIBO would affect Fibro. I did do a Google search, to see what kinds of articles are out there on the web about this topic, and here is a link to the results from my search!http://www.google.co...nd fibromyalgiaMaybe there will be some helpful information in there for you somewhere. Your son is a Fibromyalgia patient? If so, you might want to look at the threads on here regarding the new prescription drug Lyrica, that has just gotten FDA approval as the very first drug treatment specifically for Fibromyalgia!Please be sure to keep us posted on how he's getting on!
ME patient for the past 9 years

Illness is not something to feel ashamed of. It is not a sign of misfortune or defeat. Suffering is the fuel of wisdom, and it opens the way to happiness. Through illness, human beings can gain insight into the meaning of life, understand its value and dignity, and strive to lead more fulfilling lives. ~ Daisaku Ikeda

In life, it's not the bad things we do that hurt us, it's the good things we don't do. ~ Shmuley Boteach

#3 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,983 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:59 AM

Dr Pimental of whom you already know about did a study on SIBO and Fibromyalgia and sibo, which you can serch for.It is NOT looking like sibo causes IBS, but that some IBSers have both or some people just have sibo.This is really important SIBO is a FUNTIONAL problem just like IBS is a GI disorder of Function. So some of this depends on the root cause that someone would have sibo in the first place.It is also important to be tested for sibo using the right tests as they can give false testing results.It is highly unlikely SIBO cause Fibro.You have to be extremely careful with your son. IF he has IBS the antibiotics could potentially make him a lot worse.Long term it could even subject him to other potential problems.
I am not a doctor. All information I present is for educational purposes only and should not be subsituted for the advise of a qualified health care provider.

Please make sure you have your symptoms diagnosed by a medical practitioner or a doctor.

#4 cynthia

cynthia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:55 AM

Dr Pimental of whom you already know about did a study on SIBO and Fibromyalgia and sibo, which you can serch for.It is NOT looking like sibo causes IBS, but that some IBSers have both or some people just have sibo.

I don't know of any study that Pimental did that concluded that SIBO does not cause IBS. Please advise where I can find this.

#5 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,983 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:58 AM

"I don't know of any study that Pimental did that concluded that SIBO does not cause IBS. Please advise where I can find this."Pimental didn't do the study. That Pimental Believed that SIBO caused IBS in the first place was always speculation and has never been proven to begin with. Other centers have not be able to replicate his studies. People can have SIBO and not have IBS and have IBS and sibo and some just have IBS.However this study used better testing for SIBO then the lactulose breath test.NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - An abnormally high number of bacteria in the small intestine does not appear to be a major factor affecting the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, Swedish researchers report in the medical journal Gut. Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), or spastic colon, is a common disorder characterized by abdominal pain, diarrhea, cramping, and constipation. The syndrome is thought to arise from overactivity of the nerves in the intestine that control movement."The data do not support an important role for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, according to commonly used clinical definitions, in IBS," senior investigator Dr. Magnus Simren told Reuters Health.Simren and colleagues at Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, note that a high rate of bacterial overgrowth has been reported in patients with IBS, but these observations were based on tests that only indirectly measured bacteria levels.They therefore assessed small intestinal bacterial overgrowth by a direct test -- bacterial culture of small-bowel test samples -- among 162 patients with IBS and 26 healthy subjects. Cultures revealed the exact same rate of intestinal bacterial overgrowth in both groups, 4 percent.Signs of intestinal movement abnormalities were seen in 86 percent of patients with overgrowth and in 39 percent of patients without overgrowth. The investigators also observed that movement abnormalities did not reliably predict altered small-bowel bacterial levels.SOURCE: Gut, June 2007.In the above study four percent of the IBSers had SIBO as well as 4 percent of the control group who didn't have IBS had sibo.
I am not a doctor. All information I present is for educational purposes only and should not be subsituted for the advise of a qualified health care provider.

Please make sure you have your symptoms diagnosed by a medical practitioner or a doctor.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here