Advertisement

Photo

Can Anyone explain Fecal Body Odor to me?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Brian0003

Brian0003

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:37 PM

Advertisement
I think I have this.....I have gotten pretty blunt comments on the way I smell every since I was in Middle School and I am in College now.You would think that the other students would have more important things to do at College than form a group after I walk out the door and disscuss how I smell.I wouldn't even have known this had not I seen a piece of trash lieing on the floor and re-opened the door to throw it into the wastebasket....Anyway, what exactly is a real-life example?

Advertisement

#2 SoLo Dina

SoLo Dina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:20 PM

FBO basically means you smell like poop. Some people appear to smell constantly, but for others the odor seems to come and go. For some, the odor seems to come from leaky gas. Some of us have gas that just seems to seep out of our behinds and we have no control over it. The gas can seep out at any time.Others seem to have the odor coming from their breath or through their skin. I guess maybe the odor can seep through the pores of a person's skin. There are things you can try to diminish the odor. Probiotics and activated charcoal are a couple. Do a search for leaky gas or fecal odor and you'll see lots of things listed. Good luck and remember you are not alone. There are several people here with the same condition. You will find lots of support and suggestions. Take care!!

#3 SoLo Dina

SoLo Dina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:28 PM

Something else: there's also a fbo website. I just thought you might want to check it out too. Hope you find some answers!http://gettingbetter.proboards82.com

#4 Haunted

Haunted

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:19 AM

I've read that fecal body odour in which the sufferer's odour comes through their breath and through their skin means that feces are backing up and going into their small intestine, which means their feces are absorbed into their blood and travel all through the body. Someone posted a topic about curing Fecal Body Odour here a while ago. Even though I don't have FBO, I still read it and found it to be quite interesting. I'll see if I can find it.EDIT:Here you go: http://www.ibsgroup....=Leaky Gas CureI've been wondering lately if antibiotics might be useful in treating FBO. Has anyone ever tried using them to treat it?

#5 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,853 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:30 AM

You might want to investigate TMAU. I've posted some info on this. http://www.ibsgroup....s...652&hl=TMAUWhile the common name is "fish odor syndrome" the smell actually ranges from fecal to fishy. The exact odor depends on a lot of factors.The main treatment for that is to limit choline in the diet. You can't completely eliminate it as it is an essential nutrient. but you can limit the amount you eat at one time so that you never take in more than you can immediately absorb and use. The excess that is not used is what ends up generating the odor.There is a urine test for TMAU.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#6 Brian0003

Brian0003

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:56 AM

........Well, I hope I don't have that!I don't think I have that, but if I did, that would really suck.

#7 groovemethod

groovemethod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:42 PM

I have it and it does suck. I have searched long and hard to find something to help it and i have found it. If you go to drugstore.com and type nullo in the search bar...read up on it it does work i havent had an issue for over 3 weeks

#8 Brian0003

Brian0003

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:42 PM

Thanks, I'll give them a try over the last few weeks left in summer.I'm still debating whether or not I have it or not.....My doctor diagnosed me with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction so when I get really constipated without actually feeling it(Very hard to explain) I might smell bad because of the constipation.Im basically always constipated unless I take laxatives/enemas.Nullo is an interesting drug, never thought a body tablet deodarant even existed.

#9 hermit

hermit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:34 AM

Nullo is an interesting drug, never thought a body tablet deodarant even existed.

The main ingredient is chlorophyl (vitamin K), it works by eliminating the 'bad' bacteria (anaerobic bacteria that dies when it comes in contact with oxygen) in the intestine/colon that cause the most offensive smells in feces.The source of the problem with me I think is also pelvic floor dysfunction/constipation.I've been on 'Nature's Plus Chlorophyl' for a couple of weeks and it doesnt seem to be doing much good for me - maybe I havn't given it enough time to work - the feces still smells like feces but not as offensive (I wouldnt call it an improvement)

#10 lionelsg

lionelsg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 02:40 AM

Hi, when I was in secondary school about 8 yrs ago, i had a classmate complain that his jacket stinked. I had earlier been sitting on it because he had left it on my chair. I was going through a really stressful time then, trying to cope with my studies and getting bouts of diarrhoea. I remember a few other unkind remarks but mostly I remember that incident. I was convinced there was a smell coming from my anus and i told my parents but they thought i was crazy and dismissed it. I was deeply upset and very angry all the time. I stopped going out with my friends after school and went straight home. I remember also sitting on the toilet seat and turning around and noticing a funny pungent smell even without any bowel movement. However, somehow i became stronger and I forgot about all that and continued with my life. Eventually I think the smell also went away. However, I was always conscious about how i smell and recently, ive been smelling fart smells in the car when im driving, it doesnt last long and always goes away, sometimes I dont know if the smell is from the outside and i always check to see if the air con is turned on to take in air from outside or to circulate air within the car and its always the latter so im kinda worried especially after reading about LG and TMAU. However, I also can smell other smells from outside like cocoa and solvent smells from factories while driving so it has left me confused. My gf doesnt say i smell but im convinced i have some kind of body odour. My brother and my sister also say I do not smell but when I was doing an internship at a company last year which was also stressful, i was met with very unkind remarks like fishy odour until I came home and cried one day. A co worker who was sitting behind me even sprayed air freshner once. Somehow I feel that my body odour is caused by a combination of stress and anxiety which causes IBS symptoms but I am not sure if its LG or TMAU i am suffering from or just plain stess. I also do not know how to go about asking my GP this and im just thinking of getting tested for TMAU but im not sure if the pharmacies carry some sort of test kit in my country. I am from singapore.

#11 Lorettaw

Lorettaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:15 AM

Hi, when I was in secondary school about 8 yrs ago, i had a classmate complain that his jacket stinked. I had earlier been sitting on it because he had left it on my chair. I was going through a really stressful time then, trying to cope with my studies and getting bouts of diarrhoea. I remember a few other unkind remarks but mostly I remember that incident. I was convinced there was a smell coming from my anus and i told my parents but they thought i was crazy and dismissed it. I was deeply upset and very angry all the time. I stopped going out with my friends after school and went straight home. I remember also sitting on the toilet seat and turning around and noticing a funny pungent smell even without any bowel movement. However, somehow i became stronger and I forgot about all that and continued with my life. Eventually I think the smell also went away. However, I was always conscious about how i smell and recently, ive been smelling fart smells in the car when im driving, it doesnt last long and always goes away, sometimes I dont know if the smell is from the outside and i always check to see if the air con is turned on to take in air from outside or to circulate air within the car and its always the latter so im kinda worried especially after reading about LG and TMAU. However, I also can smell other smells from outside like cocoa and solvent smells from factories while driving so it has left me confused. My gf doesnt say i smell but im convinced i have some kind of body odour. My brother and my sister also say I do not smell but when I was doing an internship at a company last year which was also stressful, i was met with very unkind remarks like fishy odour until I came home and cried one day. A co worker who was sitting behind me even sprayed air freshner once. Somehow I feel that my body odour is caused by a combination of stress and anxiety which causes IBS symptoms but I am not sure if its LG or TMAU i am suffering from or just plain stess. I also do not know how to go about asking my GP this and im just thinking of getting tested for TMAU but im not sure if the pharmacies carry some sort of test kit in my country. I am from singapore.

#12 Lorettaw

Lorettaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:48 AM

I have readed everyone replies and know just how you feel. Write this website down AlignGI.com I order this pill (2 month supply) cost $29.99 a box has a month supply. Cover all symptom of IBS its a gradual process; alone with this pill I also take Cholorphyll ( the triple capsule), Citrucel ( two capsule - 3 times a day for constipation) with a full glass of water a multivitamin and vitamin C - 500mg ( drink your water please at least 8 (8 oz) a day to flush you out. Eat healthy ( fiber ) is important - eat your food slowly so you don't swallow air ( causes gas) as well as swallowing beverages. Exercise is very important help move biles. Dairy - cheese, milk causes mucous. See if you are lacto intolerance. I keep personal hygiene products with me at all times in my tote bag (moist cloths - ones you can flush, FDS spray) you can buy your vitamins and cholorphyll fron GNC. I hope this infor is helpful.Lorettaw

#13 stinky too

stinky too

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:33 PM

I have it and it does suck. I have searched long and hard to find something to help it and i have found it. If you go to drugstore.com and type nullo in the search bar...read up on it it does work i havent had an issue for over 3 weeks

I tried all those things that are suppose to help get rid of odor inclucing Nullo, and none of them helpped. There are different ones with cholophyll and cooper in them . and none of them do anything.Devrom is another one you can check out. They are not expensive so try them for yourself if you have the extra coins to throw away. . Stinky

#14 lovecolours

lovecolours

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:12 AM

Have you tried changing your diet? I know my dad smells strong sometimes as he takes a lot of MEAT,spicy and all kinds of stuff. Or probably you could read up more about TMAU.

#15 loriesteele

loriesteele

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

I just found some  news that may help!!! I googled TMAu and I will be calling to see what can be done to get tested. I called the phone # of the lab in PA and it seems legitimate.  there are also labs in England.

Monell Chemical Senses Center

3500 Market Street

Philadelphia, PA

19104-3308

Tel: (267)-519-4700

Web Address: www.monell.org

I have high hopes that this will help!1

#16 thickthighs1

thickthighs1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

I know what you mean about being in the car and smelling something and being alone.You think to yourself that your not passing gas,so you try to figure out if its coming from outside...I have had that feeling/smell before.

I got rid of the smell by probiotics and APPLE CIDER VINEGAR..stop eating candy with HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP and you should smell better within three days..it worked for me.

But my case might not be as bad as yours..I have gotten myself down to not smelling bad unless I eat a lot of sugar.I have TAMU,used to smell like poo,now I smell like trash if I eat sugary snacks...but when I eat right theres no smell

Your right being nervous/stressful doesn't help our symptoms it make s it worse

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here