#1 sailaway

sailaway

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:23 AM

Advertisement
[xposted from D forum]Advance apologies for the gross factor, but... I can't pass gas without mucous (and usually a little bit of D) coming out. Obviously, this is 1) uncomfortable, 2) horribly inconvenient, and 3) sometimes humiliating.History: I was diagnosed with IBS-D about 10 years ago by my gastro. It is stress-related, and sometimes it goes away completely for months to years at a time (so I know it's not celiac or LI). It's been about 2.5 years since my last really bad stretch with my IBS. I have tried the diet, the calcium, various of the lesser IBS drugs (immodium, those dissolving pills for the spasm/pains), more exercise, and acupuncture. All those things work to some extent, but the best thing is to eliminate stress (not always possible). I'm a teacher, so summer isn't so stressful, except I just went through a move. I come and go from this board depending on my IBS.My question: does anyone else have this problem, and if so, how do you deal with it?thanks,sailawayp.s. There was just an article in my local news about a woman with colitis who was stopped by a cop, begged to go to a bathroom, and ended up having to go behind a tree. She's suing. I hope she wins BIG!!

Advertisement

#2 sailaway

sailaway

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:10 PM

Apparently I *am* the only one with this problem. God, that's depressing.

#3 Haunted

Haunted

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:41 AM

Sometimes I also pass mucous when I pass gas. It doesn't happen that often, but I still find it very annoying when it does happen. When it happens it usually means that I have unfinished business in the bathroom. I really don't know what causes it.I have IBS-A btw.

#4 fairfax

fairfax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:02 PM

Apparently I *am* the only one with this problem. God, that's depressing.

Hi, sailaway. Oof. I have just endured the registration process on my slow computer so I could tell you that you're not the only one. Unfortunately, that's about all I can tell you, since I have no idea what's the deal with the over-production of mucous.My IBS (primarily C type, unlike yours) is pretty constant. I was diagnosed years ago, like you, but haven't had asymptomatic times. I manage it, mostly, with exercise, drinking lots of water, trying to keep the insoluble fiber intake consistent. I can usually manage the constipation by drinking black cherry juice. I take stool softeners daily. If the constipation gets bad, I take about a half-teaspoonful of plain milk of magnesia.But this mucous business is new and exciting :( . That's happened within the last year or so.I rarely pass gas spontaneously; that control is probably a symptom in itself. Mostly it's because I am too inhibited, but especially lately, it's because I can't be sure what's going to happen. Will it be the innocent release of wind, malodorous but tolerable when I'm by myself? Or will there be a mucous-y surprise?OMG, how I hate this discussion. Hate hate hate it. But this is the place, right? Okay: I have noticed that when my abdominal bloating is more severe, and is accompanied by pain, I can go to the toilet and pee a little, with nothing else happening. I know to wait, or to try to lean over while pressing my abdomen, and before long, offloading of gas and mucous ensues. Sometimes it's clear, sometimes, yellow-tinged. Sometimes a blob plops into the toilet; sometimes the evidence is only on the TP.So why are we making this unwelcome substance? I don't know. I mean, I know that the human gut is lined with and protected by mucous-producing tissues. And I know that my nasal sinuses produce mucous in massive quantities when I'm suffering from allergies or when I have a cold. So are our intestinal mucous-producers stuck in over-drive because of they've reached a threshold of constant irritation or spasms? Maybe after sufficient disruption of motility, some switch gets stuck, sort of.I feel certain it has nothing to do with infection - it seems to be plain old mucous. Now, the pain and distention I can often relieve (partially - always partially) by taking hyoscyamine sub-lingual tablets (generic for Levsin), but it has done nothing about the mucous itself.Are you afraid, like I am, that this is the first step toward an incontinent old-ladyhood? By the way, I am past menopause, but very active.

#5 sailaway

sailaway

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:27 PM

Hi fairfax! Welcome to the board. Incontinent old-ladyhood... god, I hadn't even got around to worrying about that yet! :( In all seriousness... incontinence is a reality already for some of those of us with D-predominant IBS (a whole other problem).For me the mucous-y gas is a sign that if I don't get my IBS under control, it's about to get a lot worse. The bad cycles start with regular gas, then mucous-y gas, and then after a few months all hell breaks loose. I, too, HATE having to talk about this!! And I'm afraid to fart in case there's a nasty suprise! I have blood in my mucous (I've had tests several times, it's always from internal hemmies/inflammation), too, which is kinda scary to see. It makes me wonder if the mucous is produced because of the hemmies - ? Scuse me for asking, but do you have them too? Once I was medicated for them (suppositories) and the blood and mucous went away for a while. Maybe I'll try asking for that again. Interesting that the levbid works for you - I tried it and never really noticed any effect. but I'm glad it helps you!sailaway

#6 megflyin

megflyin

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:07 PM

mucous in the stool can be indicative of fat malabsorption. You can do a fecal fat test to confirm.

#7 SeekingHope&Info

SeekingHope&Info

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:38 AM

I have to do enemas because of incomplete evacuation, and end up having to wear depends for the next several hours because of horrible 'messy' flatulence, and much, much mucous. Definitely homebound for the duration of this episode.Evelyn

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here