20 replies to this topic

#1 ibsdurango

ibsdurango

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:02 AM

Advertisement
I've had IBS for almost 2 years. Recently I've been having pain in my back and sides. Can IBS cause pain in the sides just below the ribs? The pain isn't that bad, but it feels almost like a slight stitch in the side. Can gas build-up (I have IBS-C) cause that sort of pain?Thanks

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,800 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:34 AM

The colon has bends in it under the ribs on the right and the left. These bends can be trouble spots and painful in IBS.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 KBDuke

KBDuke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:08 PM

I have the same pain, but always on the upper left side, just under the ribcage. They've done ultrasound, CT, colonoscopy, but of course nothing shows up. I have also concluded that I'm feeling the bend in that side of my large intestine

#4 painbgone

painbgone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:39 PM

This is where I get my aching as well--sometimes on the right and then sometimes on both sides. Mostly get these cramps after a BM--so I'm thinking muscle spasms and gas. They ease up with the heating pad or sometimes a Bentyl.

#5 poboyross

poboyross

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:45 AM

I've just recently developed this and have IBS D. It tends to be in the same places that yours are, I'm chalking it up to gas.

#6 lgc2494

lgc2494

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:43 PM

" it is a bit like a stitch, a pulling, tugging feeling on the left side just below my ribcage."Exactly. I've had IBS for about 3 years, and this week, for the first time, I started having a weird strechy feeling right under my left rib cage - kind of like having stitches there or the skin isn't stretching fully. Not a lot of pain, but annoying. There is only one small spot, about an inch lower, that has any pain, and it's minimal. Auburn, to answer your visual disturbance question, this week I've experienced quite a bit of "brain fog" - feeling loopy, can't think completely clear, sort of light headed. I've read on the forums where a lot of IBS sufferers experience this.I'm glad I found this forum. Some of these symptoms really get a person wondering.

#7 nerfmom

nerfmom

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:01 AM

I also have the under the ribs pain. I guess it is another IBS symptom. A caution on that, however, under the rib pain on the right side only could be gall bladder, get it checked. As for the brain fog, I call it senior moments of which I have many.

#8 xclairex

xclairex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:22 PM

This is exactly the kind of thread looking for! Normally I suffer with a mix of IBS but Friday just gone, I had a bad bout of D about 10 mins after eating, I have been constipated since and have this bloated feeling and the 'stitch'-like feeling just under my ribs and also near my belly button, and have had it in my back also.As for the 'brain fog', I get that too, very occasionally now though. I used to get quite dizzy/shakey as well, as if I wanted to fall over, but then it would shift.Its good to hear people are experiencing what you are, it doesn't half put your mind at rest!

#9 bettyblue

bettyblue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:13 PM

hi, i'm new here, i had my gallbladder removed in august and and have had trouble ever since, they have diagnosed me with I.B.S and my pain is where my ribs start and upper abdomen. i'm on the way to another visit to my doctor to try and get some help. it has been such an ordeal. :(

#10 nerfmom

nerfmom

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:47 PM

Hi, Betty,Welcome. You have come to the right place. Let us know what the doctor says and remember, we are all here for each other. Take care and much love.

#11 bettyblue

bettyblue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:24 PM

thank-you so much, i appreciate it!! i just saw my family doc last night, and she ordered tests for me finally, upper g.i and lower bowel scope, not until jan. until then i am taking tramacet for pain..anyone on this? xoxo

#12 newscat

newscat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:01 AM

I get the brain fog, trouble seeing too. I was thinking the brain fog was connected to depression and anxiety and just not feeling good. I think I may have had a gall bladder attack last night. I went to bed feeling fine but a little heaviness in the areas where ovaries are located. I sometimes get this feeling when my IBS is acting up a bit and I need a BM. Went to bed and tried to sleep and it was just like from under the breasts down I was vibrating under the skin and lots of action going on underneath. Went to bathroom and it was like my arms and legs were heavy and I was sick. Would have felt better if I could have thrown up. Tried to repeatedly and it hurt some -- not bad but didn't feel good -- right under the breasts. Couldn't BM. I was afraid gall bladder or heart attack, which just served to increase anxiety level. Fell asleep for a bit and then got up repeatedly. Finally by this morning I could go for a BM and the stomach stuff was eased. But it's still bloated and tender. What did I eat? We had Thanksgiving dinner at work yesterday. I ate some for lunch and some about 7:30 p.m. I didn't think I ate a lot but it was rich. This morning I got up and took a Pepcid AC then a few hours later I took two Tablespoons of Maalox Plus.All I have for the IBS is the fiber stuff and the prescription grainy stuff that you drink with water so that you can have BMs. It's like Miralax.I'd appreciate any tips. I'm going to try and stay liquid consuming today -- water, a little 7-up and maybe some decaf black tea, plain?I do have a doctor's appointment with my gp the monday after thanksgiving.

#13 mindy1597

mindy1597

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:29 AM

I just had an ultrasound on Friday to have my gallbladder checked. May have to have the HIDA scan as well. I have been ibs-c for over 20 years but the last few months every time I eat something I get horrible pains in my chest below the ribs and also bm's 3-4 times a day. I know a lot of people develop IBS after having their gallbladder out but wonder how having it removed affects someone who already has IBS? I'm sure it can't be good.
I wonder what it is like to be comfortable in your own body.

IBS 20+ years, hysterectomy & appendectomy.

#14 javaidjnu

javaidjnu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

mindy1597,

i have had IBS d symptoms since april 2010. then in 2011 my gb was removed after HIDA scan. the doctor said that HIDA scan has shown lower ejection fraction and that my IBS D might be due to it. he recommended removal of gb. after removal the symptoms have become worse.

now i have this almost constant pain on the left and right side of abdomen, and a burning sensation in stomach as well. post surgery there is some back pain as well..

#15 CORA

CORA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:53 AM

I also get the pains under my ribs and also a tightness in my chest and through to my back and between my shoulder blades. This is mostly happening when I am really bloated and usually after a BM? I can hear my the gurgling in my tummy too.its almost as though the gas has reached the chest cavity. Very distressing until it goes away. My bowel symptoms are not as bad as most people's. I mainly have pain and the discomfort of the bloating when I can resemble a pregnant lady.....and at 68 that I am not! I have suffers with IBS for over 20 years but it has got worse with age.cannot find a food that triggers it but I know that stress and being even a little worried can bring on an episode. My Dr is not very helpful so it's a case of self help. Glad to have found this site.

#16 IvyWinter

IvyWinter

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:08 AM

Also get this wonderful under the rib pain. It's almost like gas, but like someone said, more painful like a stitch. Sometimes, on rare occasion, it makes me feel as though i can't breathe in it hurts so bad/feels so tight. I wish i could massage it but being under bone that makes it difficult! im glad to know it is not just me. 

#17 Daniel365

Daniel365

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

Hi, my names Dan i am 26 years old

Recently (within the last 2 or 3 weeks) I have had this stitch like pain under my right 2 ribs too and this scared me so I went to the docs who thought it was a slightly collapsed lung which is common in young men. I had a chest x ray and this showed nothing which scared me even more, I also suffer badly from anxiety, stress, depression so at this point as you can imagine all of these things are sky high.

So then I found that people with ibs have this problem too.. and thinking back I have always had problems with my bowels I use to get horrific stomach cramps when I was a teen which would vanish after going to the toilet. passing a stool was always very painful when I was just a small child I can remember crying about it.

Now days I often get gurgling noises and pretty bad wind, the odd constipation and floating stools so im thinking this is ibs I have.

I also have brain fog, dizzy spells, vertigo and some other symptoms and I was just wondering if this sounded like ibs to you guys? Also how long does the pain under the ribs last? sometimes I have gurgling noises coming from the same area of the pain and after that the pain eases up. 

any replys or advice would be much appreciated. 

thanks

#18 postingtogiveinfo

postingtogiveinfo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:45 AM

I've been having similar issues with a wind/discomfort just under my lower left rib, almost feels like I could touch it.  I've also had a few nights of terrible coccyx tailbone pain that has come and gone a couple times.   Recently flatulence is way above normal and have been getting random pains around the abdominal area.  It's been going on for around 3 months now and originally had a simoidoscopy to have a look at the lower bowel which came back clean.  I also had an x-ray which was clear.

I'm not even certain it's IBS but seems to match the symptoms here and recently just tried excluding milk from my diet to see if this helps... it's too early to say but the symptoms are easing so will keep at it.

I've tried buscapan but that didn't really do anything, ibuprofen was mildly helpful and paracetamol was useless.

First thing in the morning it feels fine but as the day progresses it gets more noticeable.  Stress levels have been relatively high but not so much that I'd have thought it would have effects like this.  

I also had pain in buttocks occasionally, this can be greatly helped by doing the sciattica exercises (lying flat on your back, crossing one leg over the other's thigh and pulling the thigh up for 10 seconds and holding.  Doing both legs like this for 3 reps gave pain free feeling for a while although the nagging stretch/discomfort on the left rib remained).

Posting in case these help others.

#19 Veggiegirl02

Veggiegirl02

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:44 PM

I also have these issues...... Bumping did anyone and I mean anyone find a mean anyone find a miracle drug?? Did you actually find what it was?? I don't think anyone should be in pain for the rest of their lives. I honestly do not think that is okay........ 

#20 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,800 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

Different things work for different people.  There is no one size fits all miracle.

If your doctor refuses to run you through the usual meds (antispasmodics and low dose antidepressants) then you may need to find another doctor that actually will treat IBS.

The other route that works very well for some people is the mind-body route.  (clinical hypnotherapy)

Others can control it by reducing gas volume with a strict low fodmap diet and/or probiotics.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here