3 replies to this topic

#1 RonnieM

RonnieM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:54 AM

Advertisement
Im very scared guys.I have an uncle who's best friends wife was in the hospital last week with sever colitis problems (Dont have all the details as i been sick all week myself with IBS and a sore throat)But apparently (seems from what i heard about the case) She was in the hospital with sever stomic problems. and the Dr's said they wanted to try one more medication on her before they had to do a surgery. Well it seems the meds worked great! she was up and around in her hospital room for 2 days and then.........she got even worse then before. End up she went to surgery and (Again from what i gathered?) she got a staff infecting that spread from her tummy to bladder and liver and she died on Friday.Guys I'm so sorry for her and her family she was only 43 years old.Now i am worried even more about the "What If's?"Dose anyone know if IBS-D and colitis are same or different? and i didnt know a person can die from colitis?Can you die from IBS-D?My heads spinning here? I dont know what to think now?Not trying to scare anyone, i hope to get some answers?

Advertisement

#2 Screamer

Screamer

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:33 AM

Don't panic! They're two different things. They can have similar symptoms which is why if your IBS D or C is unresponsive to medication they generally send you off for a colonoscopy to check that you don't have colitis. Colitis causes ulcerations along the bowel and those ulcerations can bleed and cause anemia etc. They usually get treated with steroids and sometimes that's enough but occasionally in really severe cases they need to take out some of the bowel as it just won't heal.The staph infection can happen to anyone who has an operation really. It's caused by bacteria that gets into the wound. Some types of it such as MRSA or Golden Staph can be deadly and she most likely died from the staph infection rather than the IBD (colitis). IBS does NOT cause ulcerations and you won't need surgery to correct it. Nor will you bleed from it. I'm sorry for the family's loss :( But you'll be fine.
"Animals are my friends...and I don't eat my friends."
--George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Peaceful Prairie
Please feed an animal, click here
Go Veg!
My Blog
Amy-IBS-A-Sigh, oh well, they say variety is the spice of life :P

#3 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,902 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:20 AM

Two different things.I assume you mean ulcerative colitis (there are different kinds of colitis it can be from an acute illness rather than something chronic like ulcerative colitis).IBS-D might make you wish you were dead sometimes, but it is not the same thing as ulcerative colitis and does not have the same consequences.Staph infections are a risk from any surgery and are not specific to colitis.Ulcerative colitis is an autoimmune disease where the body attacks itself and sometimes the colon becomes so damaged from that they do need to remove it.IBS is called a functional disease and isn't treated by suppressing the immune system (the drugs they gave her were probably potent steroids) but is treated either by easing the symptoms, or by treating the nervous system of the gut that seems to be the problem. Functional problems can be a miscommunication issue (wrong messages sent, or messages responded to incorrectly) and the nervous system is part of the communication system.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#4 RonnieM

RonnieM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:02 PM

TY both very much! that made me feel alot better knowing all this.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here