Advertisement

Frequent Soft Stools...anyone else with this problem?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sabfan79_*

Guest_sabfan79_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2000 - 10:31 PM

Advertisement
Hey All! I don't suffer from IBS-C or IBS-D. I'm actually right in the middle. Most of the time I have soft stools and a few bowel movements a day. Does anyone else have the same problem? I could sure use some advice on how to have a normal bowel movement. I've tried a bunch of stuff, including Caltrate Plus. Any suggestions? Thanks everyone.

Advertisement

#2 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 03 August 2000 - 01:48 AM

How did you take the Caltrate. If you want to email me I will see if I can assist you in working out the right dose for you.
Linda (D-Type)If I don't take my calcium. Gall Bladder removed in 1976 and suffered with urgent diarrhea until I started calcium.

lnapents@aim.com

#3 Guest_ME2_*

Guest_ME2_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2000 - 05:49 AM

Since you are in Canada, you could ask your doctor about Dicetel (pinaverium bromide). I also have the "loose stools" in the morning several times till cleared out. I found that 1/2 pill twice a day works for me - adapt to suit. Hope you find something that will help you.

#4 Simon Woo

Simon Woo

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 03 August 2000 - 07:20 AM

Me too! Sometimes I have to go up to 6 times in the mornings before everything clears up. The first BM is not so bad, then it gets increasingly softer.I took Caltrate Plus for 2 weeks (twice a day) but didn't see any improvements...<< SiMoN >>

#5 MartyG

MartyG

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 03 August 2000 - 01:16 PM

I've had this since last year after taking a dose of antibiiotics and then being diagnosed with thyroid and being put on medication (Armour). Currently my doctor and I are trying to "tweak" the dosage to see if that will help. If anyone has any suggestions, am interested in hearing.I now take 3 caltrate plus 1 gram of L-Glutamine 3 x a day.[This message has been edited by MartyG (edited 08-04-2000).]

#6 Guest_ACMAN_*

Guest_ACMAN_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2000 - 01:29 PM

This is exactly what I have. The first stool in morning is not bad, but the 4 after that get worse. The later ones also come with some cramps. When I have to go,, I have to go NOW! This summer has been the worst for me. I don't really know what has changed.I had a colonscope(?) last spring, they told me I had a sensitive bowel. (No kidding Mary Popins!) After reading here, I tried Caltrate. It seemed to really help at first but has no effect anymore. Maybe I should take more and more often? When I went to the doc, he told me to try Metemucil. That really helped a lot for a while, now, not so much. I am wondering if taking an enema the night before might help straighten things out. Any one tried that?

#7 Guest_al_*

Guest_al_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2000 - 03:22 PM

TRY FIBOGEL FOR SOFT OR LOOSE STOOLS. IT IS VERY GOOD AND TOTALLY SAFE. IT IS MADE FROM A FORM OF FIBRE CALLED PHSYLLIUM HUSK.AL

#8 Guest_Art Vandelay_*

Guest_Art Vandelay_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2000 - 05:04 PM

This is the same problem I have. The doctors don't ever seem to have a clue. I have tried citracel and that worked for about a week. The doctor put me on dicyclomine and that worked for a few months. Now I am back to where I started. It gets frustrating.

#9 Simon Woo

Simon Woo

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 August 2000 - 01:36 AM

It is realy assuring to see that you guys are also having the same problems as me. Do we all agree that the solution is to find something that can bind our stools? I miss those days years back when I go to the toilet once for the day and that would be enough. Has anybody developed anxiety attacks because of this? I have because I need to travel on the train to work every morning.Would welcome all emails to talk about this and hopefully find a solution. Thanks!<< SiMoN >>

#10 Nicol

Nicol

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 11 August 2000 - 06:36 PM

You know, soft stool is the best kind of stool to have. It is the happy medium between constipation and diarrhea. I would not worry about your stools being soft but I would worry about the pain, cramping and anything else associated with the soft stools.

#11 Guest_ME2_*

Guest_ME2_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2000 - 07:08 PM

Nicole, it is all connected. This is not normal. These soft sausage-like stool takes forever to "process" and the whole time I'm cramping badly and breaking out in a sweat. This happens several times over several hours and I must stay close to a bathroom the whole time. The cramps go on and on. When the stools are more normal, all the other problems diminish or disappear. Also for me, it is not what I ate just before the attack - it is what I ate yesterday (which makes a food journal very helpful). Anyway, things are looking up for me - I just hope they stay that way!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here