84 replies to this topic

#1 HLM

HLM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:34 AM

Advertisement
Hi I am new to this site and it has been so helpful! :) Here is my situation and question. I have had IBS for many years but my symptoms seem different than most. I have major attacks about once every 6 weeks. I wake up usually between 2-5 am with terrible ab pain, it feels like I am being hit in the stomach with a baseball bat. I usually get up and go to the bathroom because I think I have to vomit, but then I break out into cold sweats and the pain increases. I ALWAYS end up fainting, the last time I was out for about a min. (husband timed it) :( My question is....does anybody else always faint when they have an episode? and is there anyone that only has episodes occasionally vs. every day/week? Thanks for your insight

Advertisement

#2 Cherrie

Cherrie

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:42 AM

Hi and welcome.So sorry about your severe pain. Pain that wake you up at night is NOT a typical IBS symptom, though -- I'm wondering if you have had tests to say otherwise?IBS pain can be really severe, although I have not personally heard anyone else passing out... which is also why you need to make sure that it's IBS -- but then again, I'm not too sure about this, you may want to hear what other members say before getting worried...How often IBS occurs and lasts is very individual. Some have about the same symptoms every day. Others are OK but then will have flare ups. I haven't heard anyone's occurence of symptoms being as regular as yours, though.I'd suggest that you go talk to your dr and see what s/he thinks...Cherrie
Let your love flow outward through the universe, to its height, its depth, its broad extent - a limitless love, without hatred or enmity. Then as you stand or walk, sit or lie down, as long as you are awake, strive for this with a one-pointed mind; Your life will bring heaven to earth. -- Sutta Nipata

#3 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,805 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:43 AM

IBS can vary, it isn't always every single day, a lot of people have symptoms a couple of times a week to a couple of times a month.The pain at 2-5 am thing is not typical of IBS, so may need to be evaluated as that might not be IBS (if it is upper right it could be gall bladder, for instance)Abdominal pain (as well as several other stimuli) can trigger the vagas nerve and cause fainting. http://www.mayoclini...syncope/DS00806 has some info on that.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#4 Erika41

Erika41

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:57 PM

I totally get where you're coming from! Thank God I'm not alone!!I'm fine most of the times but then I get a pain in my lower abdomin (left side) that is sharp (like a sharp gas pain). Then it increases in pain and I feel that I'm going to be sick (feels like I could throw up or eliminate) and either on my way to the bathroom or once I get there the pain is so bad that I start passing out. Now I don't always pass right out sometimes I can get just to the edge and if I can eliminate I know it will be over sooner. But if I pass out as soon as I come too I eliminate and then am exhausted. The only major difference it sounds to me is that my "attacks" happen at any give time day or night. Usually more in the evening I've noticed. I've had tests on everything and I'll I've been told is I have IBS with a Vasil Vegil reaction. Meaning the central nerve in my body thinks the pain I'm feeling is overwhelming and then that is what makes me pass out. Which I don't belive and am in the constant search to find out what is goind on or what is Irritating my bowls to eliminate from my diet. It is very frigtening and embarrasing when it happends. I have had episodes before but always thought it was something I ate since it would happen once a year or sometimes longer. Now I've had it happen more regularly (up to every other day for 2 weeks) that I'm back at the dr to have more tests run just to be sure it's "only" IBS. It's awful.

#5 metoo62

metoo62

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:26 AM

I am just glad to know I am not alone. I used to have IBS bad, but they figured out 90% of mine was lactose intolerate and the other 10% is stress. So I still do have IBS episodes, but now it is only 2-3 a year and that is when I get myself overbooked. But still when I have those it is between 2-5 am and then I usually pass out everytime. I always felt awful, because when I have fell I have busted my lip and given myself a black eye from passing out in the bathroom. Try to explain that to someone when they ask "What happened to you?". It is just so embarrassing. :) :(

#6 Smmns4

Smmns4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:44 PM

Erika41 and Metoo62,Hi. I am new to this sight and so glad to see that I am not crazy & there are others who experience this. I came across this discussion & your response after entering a search for IBS and Fainting. With my fainting episode today, I was on a mission to find some kind of answer or make sense of this all. The signs and symptoms that you, Erika41, describe are exactly what I experience. And that most maddening is there seems to be no pattern or specific diet or situation that causes. I'm a 35-year-old mother of two and had tests run probably 4-5 years ago. The Dr's also diagnosed it as IBS with the Vasil Vegal reaction. Basically the Dr's said that IBS is just a matter of watching your diet. Because there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to the episodes I find it hard to do so. My attacks occur 1-3 X's a year. Today was absolutely awful. My family and I were on our way to an event when I felt the "attack" coming on. I had my husband pull into the nearest restaurant. I barely made it inside & into the bathroom. Once inside I passed out while on the toilet and embarrisingly enough came to on the floor after I had soiled my self. It had only been a minute or two. How do you explain that to your children. Or what frightens me the most is that it can come on at anytime very easily being when my children, 6 & 4 are in my care. My episodes do happen regularly however, today was the first episode I have had to this extreme & specifically being in a public place.Any of your findings on helping to deal with this whether diet, medications, natural remedies are greatly appreciated.

#7 bumblebee1

bumblebee1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:26 AM

I am glad to know that I am not the only one with this problem. I am awaken by abdominal pain which gets really severe once I get to the bathroom. I always pass out from the pain. Sometimes the pain is followed by sweating & vomiting. This has been happening for about 17 years now. It used to happen maybe twice a year. Now it happens about 6-8 times a year. I think sometimes it has to do with being latose intolerant because it happens sometimes after eating anything with dairy products. Just yesterday I was at work and ate cake which I found out when it was too late that it was filled with cheese cake cream. The pain started immediately after eating the cake. Thank god I had my medication, I never leave home without it. It is a pill that you put under your tongue that helps to stop the pain and hopefully stop me from passing out. Sometimes I have to take 3 pills before the pain eases up. Since I started using this medication I have only passed out once. I am seeing a Gastrologist and he told me IBS is just a name used when doctors don't really know what is going on. It's like putting a band-aid on a large wound. I have already had many test. I now have an appointment to see a Neurologist. :(

#8 Lucija Petricevic

Lucija Petricevic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:34 PM

ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU GOT WELL TESTED. i WAS TOLD FOR YEARS THAT i HAD AN IRRETABLE BOWEL SYNDROM. iN THE END IT WAS A PARASITE.CHECK ORGANIX PROFILE AND PARASITOLOGY TESTING FROM METAMETRIX LABORATORYhttp://www.metametrix.com/content/HomeOR GENOVA LABORATORIESACIDITY OR ANY TYPE OF STRANGE TOXIN CAN COME IN THE URIN TEST ( ORGANIX PROFILE)THEY ALSO SEND THE LIST OF THE LACK OF NUTRIENTS OF THE BODY AND ALLERGY POSSIBILITIES.TRY TO FIND A DOCTOR WHO KNOWS THIS LAB, AND IS INTERESTED IN NUTRITION AND PREVENTIVE MEDICINEhttp://www.nutrition.....ia Metametrix

#9 1234patty

1234patty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:35 PM

I am 35 and have had IBS since 16. Diet and stress are the main triggers. I have a lot of sinus drainage too, which causes my stomach to be upset, sometimes leading to IBS symptoms. Morning time is usually the worst for me. My body just needs a little extra time in the a.m. I pass out as well, when I have severe episodes though. Maybe once or twice a year. Those episodes come far and few. High anxiety, drinking too much alcohol, and smoking cigarettes have been big contributors of mine in the past. Since my college days are long gone, I don't drink too often and I quit smoking some time ago. But I do have anxiety, usually produced from the fear of having an episode while out in public. I am not able to go in public due to not being able to relax. I have tried several times to work through this anxiety, but have not been successful. I do know that acidophilus is an excellent source to help with symptoms. Go to your local health food store and ask for the highest potency they have for IBS. Peppermint tablets, also found at your local health food store, are also a wonderful source for stomach aliment. There are some folks who use these gel tablets instead of medication prescribed by their doctor. What has worked for me in the past is to watch how much sugar, wheat, and dairy I ate...maybe cut all or most out, and exercise. Not drinking too much alcohol and getting 8 hours of sleep helps, too.

#10 1234patty

1234patty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:48 PM

I am 35 and have had IBS since 16. Diet and stress are the main triggers. I have a lot of sinus drainage too, which causes my stomach to be upset, sometimes leading to IBS symptoms. Morning time is usually the worst for me. My body just needs a little extra time in the a.m. I pass out as well, when I have severe episodes though. Maybe once or twice a year. Those episodes come far and few. High anxiety, drinking too much alcohol, and smoking cigarettes have been big contributors of mine in the past. Since my college days are long gone, I don't drink too often and I quit smoking some time ago. But I do have anxiety, usually produced from the fear of having an episode while out in public. I am not able to go in public due to not being able to relax. I have tried several times to work through this anxiety, but have not been successful. I do know that acidophilus is an excellent source to help with symptoms. Go to your local health food store and ask for the highest potency they have for IBS. Peppermint tablets, also found at your local health food store, are also a wonderful source for stomach aliment. There are some folks who use these gel tablets instead of medication prescribed by their doctor. What has worked for me in the past is to watch how much sugar, wheat, and dairy I ate...maybe cut all or most out, and exercise. Not drinking too much alcohol and getting 8 hours of sleep helps, too.

#11 TrayLeeKautz

TrayLeeKautz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:56 AM

Thank you for starting on this exact symptom!! I just had my 5th attack where I ended up fainting (and this time I was driving my daughter to the orthodentist and had to stop the car quickly before I hyperventilated and blacked out.. I think that is what bothers me most.. the first time and 2nd time the pain was so intense.. and only after quite a bit of extreeme pain, hypeventilating, sweating.. did I pass out.. the last 3 x's.. I would feel a bit nauseous.. and then in a matter of a few minutes I can't feel my hands/arms.. I have a hard time breathing (but the pain isn't as intense)..and I blackout. Is this so with you all? Is this my body shutting down before the pain gets too intense? I'm just trying to understand.. (and by the way.. it also seems that milk products are my worst enemies..that and too much greasy foods. :( I have been taking Heather's Acacia for one year.. and this has helped me eat pretty much normally throughout the year (other than the attacks). I highly recommend it! www....com

#12 Ltrainhazmat

Ltrainhazmat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:04 PM

I am 26 years old and have been having these attacks since childhood (i think). As a child I would pass out randomly places (but most often in bathrooms) and doctors said I had an 'unknown fainting disorder). As I grew older I could explain what was happening to doctors and eventually was diagnosed with IBS. Personally, I don't buy the IBS diagnosis because my attacks occur almost always at night and wake me up from sleep and from all the research I've read, this is rare in IBS...yet we all experience it.Throughout the years and millions of tests, cameras in various places, and attempted treatments I finally started to try to make some sense of it all myself. I discovered that foods with wheat gluten such as breads and pastas and some beers, ice cream, and worst of all anything containing NutraSweet were just not something I should ever eat unless I was prepared to be passed out on a bathroom floor someplace covered in sweat and hopefully not anything else. Also, I learned to drink lots and LOTS of water with my meals. Finally, when the pain comes (and it inevitably does no matter how well i eliminate trigger foods) I've learned that pushing on my lower left abdomen or lying on my left side often helps me eliminate or pass gas and avoid fainting altogether.Personally, I don't think I pass out from the pain. Yes, it hurts really REALLY bad, but I believe I might faint because of intestinal distention. Which, to my knowledge, basically means that my intestines expand so much that it pinches a nerve and makes me faint. Once I got over the embarassment of what was happening to me, I shared with my sister and found out that she was having almost identical attacks. Now we trade tips we've learned and at the very least can joke about our plight with each other. Regardless of the cause, to me having the diagnosis of IBS doesn't help at all if no one knows how to fix it. So, if anyone finds their miracle cure, please share it with me!!!

#13 leight09

leight09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:53 PM

Hello,I am 34 and have had stomach problems since I was a baby. I have always had bad pains and severe diareah a few times per week. For the 3rd time in my life, I totally passed out on Friday from the pain while on the toilet. Most of the time, I can breathe through it. It's embarrassing, but this is getting old. Ive been to a gastrointologist, and had a colonoscopy & other tests 2 years ago after my 2nd pass out...the big factors (cancer, etc,) came back negative. But no more info on a diagnosis. I think I have a mild form of Lactose intollerance...milk is no biggy, but ice cream can cause major problems. Sometimes it has no reaction, other times...it kills me! I have narrowed it down (I thought) to this: no ice cream or heavy creamy stuff (cheese cake, heavy cheeses) on an empty stomach. Well, this time it was a chicken pot pie from Bob Evans...holy smokes! I'm totally lost...any one else have some thoughts???

#14 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,130 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:56 PM

leight09Welcome :(Just reading the list of foods you have had alot of trouble with, what came to mind was not the lactose content.. but the fat content.I think if you look more at the fat content of your food choices and try to keep to a low fat diet.. you may have much more success avoiding these severe episodes & fainting.Many IBS'ers have trouble with heavier fat content meals...And your Bob Evans Pot Pie rates VERY high in fat content. ( whopping 49 grams of fat per serving.. I could hardly believe this...)Check it out:http://caloriecount....-pot-pie-i58198That could even give people who don't have IBS some trouble. LOLI know, it's unreal right? Who would have thought.. a chicken pot pie. Just comfort food, right?Well between the fat in the dough and the cream gravy... wowee. NOT a good choice it turns out.So see if you can just keep to lower fat foods and keep checking labels and such and here's hoping you never faint again!All the bestBQPS I assume your Doc checked out your Gall Bladder, right? If not.. might be an idea to have that checked out. If you have had life long trouble.. could be you may have been born with a narrow bile duct etc.. Ya never know so I would get that checked.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#15 cleung

cleung

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:09 PM

Did the doctor finally say what's wrong with you? I have exactly the same symptoms, again going through doctors and going thru test after test. They still haven't diagnose me with anything, except "possible IBS", but then they haven't done anything, no medication, no pain medication, nothing. It's been a year of different tests and I am quite sick of it. I have a feeling they must have missed something, they seems to focus on my liver, which three ultra sound now shows up nothing wrong with my liver.

#16 sapphiresherry

sapphiresherry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:00 PM

Okay, so mine is a little different but I think might apply here too. I get gas trapped in the intestinal tract (or at least it feels that way) and it comes with the severe pain that some have talked about. I am usually laying down when this happens in fetal position trying to pass the gas (and I seem to have great difficulty doing that). I get extremely lightheaded and come close to passing out, but haven't ever gone to the point of passing out. I think if I was walking or standing or on the toilet I could very likely pass out. I was diagnosed with IBS about 20 years ago, had trouble for a couple of years, and then it seemed to all but disappear from my life. Now, since November of 2008 it has been back with a vengeance (sp?). However, the symptoms aren't like they were when I first was diagnosed. I am wondering if my IBS has morphed with new symptoms or if there is something additional going on. For example, the vagas nerve thing. I want to thank y'all for sharing this information because now when I see the GI doctor in 2 weeks I can ask about this...I appreciate it.

#17 Guest_Glenda C._*

Guest_Glenda C._*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:01 PM

About 6 weeks ago I woke up at 2 am with severe Diarrhea. I was sitting on the potty and I started sweating like crazy , and then I got Very Dizzy , I knew I was going to pass out so I tried to make it to bed , well I collapsed by my husbands side of the bed and was almost totally blacked out , My husband asked what was wrong and I said I had Extremely Severe abdominal pain and I needed to get in bed , he picked me up and put me in bed. That was very frightening.

#18 Cathy in CA

Cathy in CA

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:02 AM

I'm not a doctor, but it seems like what you are all describing has a name: defecation syncope. It is indeed a vasovagal episode.Basically it means fainting caused by having a bowel movement. It has to do with the vagal nerve and blood pressure drop so little oxygen to brain.I too have had this experience, although not since I was put on a daily beta-blocker medication for something else. I never experienced the fear you all have because it didn't happen often and I already knew about the vasovagal reaction from nursing. Knowledge really is power. Look it up in books or internet. One site I read even said it often occurs in the very early morning hours. I have copied a couple of explanations from internet sites below to get you started.Then please .... discuss it with your doctor......1 site said:The most common cause of syncope is a vasovagal attack - also termed neurocardiogenic syncope. Examples of vasovagal syncope include emotional fainting and situational syncope (caused by cough, urination, or by defecation. Vasovagal syncope may also be associated with symptoms such as sweating, nausea, and a clammy sensation. Syncope is diagnosed through: ---A careful history and physical examination ---An electrocardiogram ---24-hour Holter monitoringAdditional diagnostic tests include: ---Echocardiogram ---Tilt-table testing ---Event recorder ---Electrophysiological testing ---Carotid artery ultrasound......another site explained it:Defecation syncope: The temporary loss of consciousness (syncope) upon defecating (having a bowel movement). Syncope is the temporary loss of consciousness or, in plain English, fainting. The situations that trigger this reaction are diverse and include having blood drawn, straining while urinating (micturition syncope) or defecating, coughing or swallowing. The reaction also can be due to the emotional stress of fear or pain. Under these conditions, people often become pale and feel nauseated, sweaty, and weak just before they lose consciousness. Situational syncope is caused by a reflex of the involuntary nervous system called the vasovagal reaction. The vasovagal reaction leads the heart to slow down (bradycardia) and, at the same time, it leads the nerves to the blood vessels in the legs to permit those vessels to dilate (widen). The result is that the heart puts out less blood, the blood pressure drops, and what blood is circulating tends to go into the legs rather than to the head. The brain is then deprived of oxygen, and the fainting episode occurs. I hope this helps you,Cathy

#19 Guest_Glenda C._*

Guest_Glenda C._*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:23 AM

Excellent Information Cathy , thankyou for posting it.

#20 stevenscott

stevenscott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:57 PM

You guys are not alone, I go through these symptoms all the time. The blood pressure drops can be very serious. If you look at some of my posts, you can read what I have suffered from. It is pure hell going to the bathroom.I wish I had an answer that will help you..

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here