Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

abdominal pain while standing for long periods

20K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  heidiw 
#1 ·
I have IBS-C and am on Levsin for my abdominal pain, but it puts me to sleep. I just started a new job and have to stand for 6 hours straight. After about 3 hours I can't stand the pain anymore. Does anyone else have this problem and is there any other antispasmatic I can take at work without making me sleepy? I don't know how much longer I can hold out in this job.

#2 ·
Is your pain located in the lower rigth side?

#3 ·
Hi - sorry to hear about your problems but it could be a result of muscle tension. I have had long running problems with my pelvic region (pain in the right-hand region of the groin when stanind, sitting etc) and my physio identified that all my muscles were overly tense and weakend. Now this was the result of a chronic problem but it is possible that you are over-tensing that region which is contributing to the pain. It's also possible you have injured something and your body is shielding the injury by contracting the muscles. I've been undergoing stretching exercise which has helped alleviate my groin pain and I can stand/walk for longer periods.

#4 ·
my pain has always been on the right upper side of my abdomen...but this pain seems to feel like stomach cramps almostRich C - thanks for the info..now that you mention that it may be the problem...because my ab muscles have been sore for the last couple days...do you have any info on stretching to get my muscles back in shape?

#7 ·
There is a book that get's quoted a lot when people mention pelvic pain and it's called "A Headache In The Pelvis" or something along those lines. I could try explaining them to you but it may result in you injuring yourself
They are fairly basic though and follow along the lines of yoga techniques. Scout around on the net and you may find diagrams or more information. CheersRich

#5 ·
#6 ·
I had a hydascan when they were trying to find a diagnosis which turned out to be IBS-C....my gallbladder is working fine, I guess...thanks though Spasman
I'm thinking it's a muscle related thing...mixed with the anxiety of a new job...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.