16 replies to this topic

#1 justaguy377

justaguy377

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:51 AM

Advertisement
Recently I have been much more observant of what is exactly causing this smell eminating from the anus area. I definitely now feel the "leaky gas." I mean, I have to concentrate to notice it, because it is very subtle. It is fairily constant, maybe less after a bowel movement, i'm not sure about that though.The gas is "shallow." As opposed to "deep" like normal flatulence, which feels like it comes from inside you. Leaky gas feels like it is coming from somewhere very close to the anus. I think this "leaky gas" is very warm, because sitting makes my underside very, very warm and uncomfortable.

Advertisement

#2 nelly2

nelly2

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:04 PM

I also have some sensation. I agree, it feels like a shallow release versus passing gas normally. I feel it when I'm sitting and change positions. I also feel it after I release urine. It is much more present when I have to have a BM. It is much decreased when I'm evacuated.

#3 justaguy377

justaguy377

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:40 PM

I have a strong feeling that this problem is from an anal fistula. Or "an abnormal connection between the epithelialised surface of the anal canal and (usually) the perianal skin." Probably this is how some type of foul gas is coming out unwittingly through somewhere around the anus area. It is obviously different from normal flatulence. Minor surgery is required to correct this problem.Only a colon surgeon (proctologist?) can detect this problem.That is what I got from some reading on the web.

#4 justaguy377

justaguy377

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:03 AM

Anal FistulasAn anal fistula is an abnormal connection between the anal canal and the skin outside the anus. They are very common and are almost always the result of an abscess described above. They usually become obvious within a few months of having an abscess, but sometimes only show up a year or so later. They often manifest with more subtle findings, such as mild discomfort, persistent drainage, foul odor or simply a firm lump around the anus. For some patients the diagnosis of a fistula only becomes apparent after they develop another abscess in the same location as the first one. The treatment of fistulas is much more complicated than for an abscess. They do not resolve on their own and will generally cause problems for many years unless dealt with surgically. Surgery involves usually putting a patient to sleep and exploring the fistula tract. We usually try to identify the internal opening inside the anus. When we have done that, the fistula tract needs to be opened up along its entire length, cleaned out and allowed to heal.The problem with opening the fistula tract is that it often goes through part of the sphincter muscle and opening the tract may involve cutting some of this muscle around the anus. A person can have some of the muscle of the anal sphincters cut without much trouble, but if too much of the muscle is cut, then there is a risk a patient may develop trouble with control around the anus. This usually means difficulty controlling gas, but sometimes if too much of the sphincter has been cut, it can mean trouble with controlling stool. The term to describe this problem is fecal incontinence.Rest assured that it is the highest priority of every surgeon who operates on fistulas to make sure that nothing is done which will irrevocably injure the anal sphincter and cause someone to have control problems. For this reason, every fistula requires individual assessment at the time of surgery. If the tract of the fistula is felt to be quite shallow and not involve much muscle, then it can almost always be opened up without risk and allowed to heal. If, however, there is any concern about whether there is perhaps too much muscle involved, then surgeons have a number of tricks they can employ to cure a fistula.One of the most common of these is placement of a reactive seton suture. A reactive seton is simply a silk suture which goes around the entire fistula tract and which stays in the patient for usually 2 or 3 months. During this time, the suture partly cuts through some of the muscle, similar to the way a wire might cut through an ice cube, allowing the muscle to reconstitute as it cuts through. In some instances the suture works its way through the entire tract and simply falls out after a few months and the fistula is healed. In most cases, however, we need to carry out a second minor procedure in 2-3 months in order to cut out the seton and complete the opening of the fistula tract. Because our primary concern is not causing any undue injury to the sphincter muscle, we are very cautious when doing fistula surgery and will always err on the side of safety. This means that some people will need to undergo a 2 or more small operations over 3-6 months in order to get the fistula to heal safely. While this seem like a big production for a small problem, it is necessary in order ensure that people do not experience significant problems post op. Finally, each fistula is different. Some patients have them dealt with in one operation, some require several procedures. The key is to treat each fistula individually and make decisions based on how much muscle is involved. When dealing with fistulas, patience is the highest virtue and worth practicing.

#5 justaguy377

justaguy377

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:03 AM

http://www.colondoc....cessfistula.htm

#6 thickthighs

thickthighs

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:03 PM

i came to that conclusion last night..when my anus starts to burn i know theres leaky gas coming out..so i have toi get up and go to the bathroom even if i dont do anything..have to get away from peooplei have noticed this after a crazy bout with diarhea,when my bowel is irritated i can smell FBO alothave to find something to get rid of this problem without surgery

#7 here4help

here4help

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:15 PM

Hello Justaguy377 and everyone else!First, I can't tell you how long I've been actively working on what is wrong with me. I have learned a quite a few things from this forum already.I have always had lots of gas, since I was a child. My Mother had IBS when she was alive. 18 years ago I had an anal fistula that was opened up like Justaguy377 described earlier. I believe that I have been passing gas without knowing it for years, but now it is worse. What is scary is that I don't have gas pressure or know that I am passing gas. If I drink diet drinks or use artificial sweetener, I have a clear liquid come out of my rectum. I have stopped drinking all diet drinks and don't drink much caffeine. I am lactose intollerant and avoid dairy products unless it is a "safe time" when I will not be around anyone for a couple of days. My question is this. I have tested foods and all of that, but don't know when I'm passing gas. When I had my colonoscopy it became very apparent that I could not control what was coming out of my rectum on the side where the anal fistula was cut open. Colonoscopy, blood tests, stool samples, liver tests, all clear.I work in a close office setting and this gas is terrible. I can not smell it most of the time, but my co-workers certainly can and I feel terrible.Any ideas or advice?Thanks again for having this forum. No one else is actually discussing these issues.

#8 bill lopez

bill lopez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:39 PM

hi here4help. i go thought the same problem. People like me and you just have to live with it . In till we find the cure because i know there is a cure for this problem.
Bill

#9 justaguy377

justaguy377

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:25 PM

here4help,did they do surgery for your anal fistula?

#10 thickthighs

thickthighs

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:09 PM

exactly i always know when im releasing the gas when im sitting because it feels hot under my butt at the anus..when somone site behind me my stomach starts to turn and i know it will ahppen momentarily

#11 here4help

here4help

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:29 AM

Justaguy,I had the surgery about 18 years ago. The fistula was very painful and was really nasty. The doctor told me that later in life, it could cause problems. I didn't know what he meant but now I believe that it could have created a "corridor" or "valley" that leads out of me. I don't know when I have gas and don't smell it because it is behind me. I've tried Flat d pads, charcoal tabs, peppermint pills and starvation. Would you believe me if I told you that just water makes me gassy.I know that my Mother had IBS, but nothing like mine. I don't have any of the typical IBS symptoms other than feeling like I never finish my bowel movements.Thanks for any help.

#12 here4help

here4help

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:30 AM

Thickthighs,I can't feel it like that but occasionally feel a tickle or a rolling sensation around my anus.

#13 justaguy377

justaguy377

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:54 AM

here4help,is it possible that the fistula is causing the problems? the smell? maybe you should get it checked out with a colorectal surgeon again? i have set an appointment with a surgeon which will take place in a few months to see if i possibly have any condition like a fistula, fissure or something that is causing my smell. apparently the gastroenterologist i went to see isnt ruling out pelvic floor dysfunction either.best of luck to you

#14 fARTIST

fARTIST

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:39 AM

hey all. i have the same problem with leaky gas. i think it started in high school sometime, maybe junior year, so for about 6-7 years. and it has had a big affect on my lifestyle, its hard to go out into public or do public things. And for the past few years it has really ruled my life, and since then ive been trying to find out how i can cure the problem. ive tried probiotics, hyrdrochloric acid, eating as healthy as possible, just about everything and anything i can think of. ive felt a time when it wasnt present(maybe), i think its when im very active and working out regularly and have not as much stress as usual, but i really dont know...but ive also get the same feeling as 'thickthighs' and 'here4help'. my anul area does feel warmer at times, and im guessing thats when LG starts. and i also feel that 'tickle or rolling sensation around my anus' whenever i guess its present. and i also feel some pressure above my anus, just below the coccyx bone. it seems like thats where the warmth is coming from. ive gone to a couple doctors and asked them about it, but at the time, they said they couldnt smell anything. but im gonna go to the doctors soon and see what they say...

#15 thickthighs

thickthighs

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

i think im gonna see aproctologist..he/she will have heard of this problem and maybe have a solution

#16 fARTIST

fARTIST

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:48 AM

hey thickthighs,please let me know how that goesthx

#17 geminilady

geminilady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:26 PM

Thank God that I finally have someone to talk to about this!! I had anal fustula surgery ten years ago, and feel that it ruined my life! I, too, had trouble with leaky gas at first, but it has gotten much better over the past ten years. The problem that I have is that I feel like I have two rectal openings, and my bowel movements are VERY difficult. When I do have one, the stool is not very large in diameter, and is "snakelike" in length. I also feel that I am never completely clean!!! I am a very clean person, and am almost compulsive with my hygeine, but no matter what, I feel unclean! Needless to say, it has greatly altered my quality of life. Thanks for listening!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here