2 replies to this topic

#1 heidiw

heidiw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:46 AM

Advertisement
I am thinking of switching to psyillium husk since Miralax is getting a bit priceu for me vs. a 6 dollar jug of psyllium...but I have a question...how do I make a smooth transition from miralax to the metamucil? And does it cause gas and bloating? And, I'm kinda scared to go off the Miralax since it's been working for me, I really don't want to change but I'm in a tight money situation because my daughter is also on Miralax and both of us taking it makes it a pricey investment..so I'm assuming psyillium will keep me regular right? Any input is appreciated! :(

Advertisement

#2 BBinCT

BBinCT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:27 PM

Hi,I am a new member with IBS-C. I have been on Miralax for about 4 months and loved it. However, I feel like it's not as effective as it was int he beginning, I tried several times to wean off of it, but the bloating and C came back quick, so i went back on. I have also tried to switch to Physillum , and that worked alright, but the powder form is horrible to drink and thickens quickly making it even harder to take. Let me know how is goes. I am looking to transition to something else. I read on the boards, something about Acadia, but don't know what it is. -BBinCT

#3 Guest_Misaha20_*

Guest_Misaha20_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:38 PM

I've used LOTS of psyllium. If you are looking for cheap, get the generic stuff. Yup, it's gross, but it's cheap. My doc switched me to Miralax so I wouldn't have to do the fiber thing. I found the Miralax made it difficult to manage the BM. Had to use minipads. So I added a little psyllium to the Miralax and that helped. For a long time I tried to switch, with poor results. I simply started decreasing the Mira and increasing the fiber. I think I can't use psyllium right now. Too much bloating. I'm using Benefiber instead. Works pretty well. Down to 1/2 dose of Mira. I get a generic Mira from my drug provider. MUCH cheaper. See if somebody will order it for you. Big bottles. Same stuff.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here