11 replies to this topic

#1 santee245

santee245

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:37 PM

Advertisement
Hi all! Here I sit in front of my computer trying to think up ways of sleeping tonight. I feel like I am so dumb. This is the second time I have fallen asleep on the heating pad. I have had pain in my left side for weeks, like others here it usually only lasts for me about a week or two. This time, I thought it might be the return of a kidney stone, had 2 taken out about 10 yrs. ago and smaller ones go through on there own. Well, I decided I would have a good nights sleep without pain, this started out with constipation, I know what I did, I ate about a half a bag of walnuts rather than throw them away. It didn't catch up with me right away, but a week later I was in bad shape. 2 weeks went by and no relief, no matter what I did. Then came the hems with trying to go to the restroom. I was to say the least miserable. I went and bought all the creams, lotions and wipes, and finally after another week of misery was able to finally get some relief. The pain in my left side continued and still continues, I decided to take an ativan, I use them for panic attacks only, and put the heating pad on my stomach. Well, you guessed right if you think I fell asleep. 2 hrs. later I woke with a sharp burning feeling where the heating pad was, of course I knew what happened because I had done it 2 yrs. ago and the burn was a little smaller, but got infected because I just wiped over it in the middle of the night and went back to sleep. This time I used my half a brain lol and threw the heating pad across the room. After I turned it off of course. I got up, went over to the computer and prayed that I didn't get burned as bad. Well, no such luck. This time it was worse. The burn was about the size of a silver dollar and the tissue around the burn was swollen and I thought to myself This is gonna hurt! Guess what? It did and still does. Luckily I had some silvadine left from when I burned myself before. I slapped some on and went back to sleep. Next morning was my daughters graduation from college and I had to go, I covered it with a bandaid and more stuff including antibiotic cream which I don't now if it worked or not. I guess with a burn no matter what you do you are going to get infection. I kept it as clean as I could, probably the cleanest my stomach has ever been lol. Today I went to the dr. and she just shook her head and gave me a prescription for an antibiotic and some more silvadine. It is a king size tub, I guess she expects me to do it again. Anyway, if you need to warm up your poor painful side or stomach here is a safer way to do it, I learned this from somewhere can't remember where. Take the biggest ziploc and they have some big ones, or hefty they all have big bags now.Wet a towel and pop it in the microwave, get it as warm as you can stand it, and then pop it in the bag and enjoy the warmth. You can reverse this for a cold pack with the towel and put it in the freezer, I would put it in the bag first, it will be pretty stiff.I hope I have saved someone from getting a bad burn. Does anyone know a safe food to eat while you are waiting for your stomach and stuff to calm down. I am sick of chicken soup. Thanks

Advertisement

#2 nerfmom

nerfmom

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:48 PM

It can be dangerous to use a heating pad, as you found out. I bought a new one not long ago that turns itself off if it is left on for a while. I have fallen asleep at night with my heating pad on, so this new one is much better. I don't have to worry about burns. I have been using my heating pad for my sore hip recently rather then my tummy area. Now that I am an "Old" woman, there are lots of places on my body that hurt. Yuck!!

#3 artjunky

artjunky

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:08 PM

I love my heating pad. It does turn off after 1/2 hour, so I don't have to worry about the burn. I actually prefer a hot soak, but have bad skin and can't do too many of those.
If the doctor still gave me a lollipop at the end of each visit, I'd probably be a much happier person.

Ignominious | Irate
Booty | Booty
Stimulation | Devil

#4 Jackee

Jackee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:36 PM

Hi Santee,I can definitely relate to what you are going through. I've learned to stay away from any type of nuts because I pay for it later. The reduced fat peanut butter though does not affect me at all. I hope your pain subsides soon and thanks for that wonderful tip about the ziploc bag and hot towel. Since I'm in pain right now I'm gonna try it :(

#5 TessaDarcy

TessaDarcy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:17 PM

I use thermacare pads and I LOVE them!

#6 desertroses

desertroses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:27 PM

I can't live without my heating pad and use it on my lower back or stomach every night, I am addicted I guess. I do use the ones that shut off in about 45 min, so I don't have to worry.In the past I have burned myself with the other kind though. I have really discolored my skin and the last time I saw my GI he looked down and then looked at me and said, please tell me thats from a heating pad. Hee Hee.

#7 citrimax

citrimax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:41 AM

I've been starting to use a heating pad when I get abdominal pain or cramps. I have no clue if the heat actually works in eliminating discomfort but it feels nice. However I am very paranoid about falling asleep with it on. If I am going to use it, I tell my boyfriend to check on me if I fall asleep and to take the pad off of me. He says it would be okay to sleep on it but I don't trust it!

#8 Sandman67

Sandman67

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:23 AM

Same here...I had another whopper of an attack Saturday night (9 hours of colon spams) and the only thing that offers SLIGHT relief is hot showers and the heating pad. (In 9 hours I took 5 hot showers and 3 hot baths!!! -can't wait to see my water bill.) I could have almost dozed off a few times in my office chair but stopped myself for fear of getting burned. Sounds like buying one of those heating pads that turns off automatically might be a worthy investment.

#9 Rubin10

Rubin10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:40 PM

Dear lady with a heating pad,The food that I eat for IBS. Soluble fiber: Spelt tortilla by Rudi bakery in Coop stores or Organic markets.Use this tortilla as a wrap for anything you eat: egg whites, chicken breast, etc.Great product in Whole Foods: Gourmet Tuna pop up can Tomato onion -easy to pick up for lunch. Enjoy

#10 WatcherOfClouds

WatcherOfClouds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for the tip, I think I'll try it now, cuz I missed school agin cuz of my stupid stomach. Anyway, I know it's boring, but try anything bland. As you've noticed, nuts are horrible, and I've noticed that spicy chinese or mexican food really sucks. Also, anything really greasy, like a lot of french fries or cafeteria pizza causes a little discomfort, so I skip the fries and dab the pizza with a napkin, which can also cut the calories. :( Anyway, good luck with your stomach. :)

#11 IBS_In_N_Calif

IBS_In_N_Calif

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:34 PM

Hi!Speaking of Low Fat Peanut butter has anyone had good results with low fat peanut butter? What is a good sugar free jelley? Fructose Is the ENEMY of everyone with IBS! FRIENDS, Please look and read the back of food labels. Even Gateraid has high fructose in it! I am afraid to try sugar free jelley or low fat peanut butter. I am trying to avoid everything that can give me abdominal cramps and diarrhea!I agree with those who buy a heating pad with a Timer built into it. You don't want to burn yourself if you fall asleep and you don't want it to overheat and start a fire.Best wishes,Raymond.

#12 Premo

Premo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:13 AM

I use a clean sock full of raw rice pop it in the microwave for 2 mins and i fall asleep with it all the time ...

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here