4 replies to this topic

#1 mrswoody

mrswoody

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

Advertisement
I had a bowl of Raisin Bran this morning for breakfast. Fast forward to this afternoon and I got a stomach ache. Okay, no big deal, I'll just go the bathroom. Once there, that stomach ache turned into really bad pain. A pain that went so far as to even make me feel a little nauseous. I'm wondering if Raisin Bran has insoluble fiber. Its the only thing I've had to eat so far today! I always take Metamucil first thing in the morning and then again in the afternoon and that helps. I'm not always 100% but I don't experience much of these "bowled-over-in-agony" type pains anymore so I'm hoping to pinpoint the cause. If anyone has any info on the type of raisin bran's fiber (the box sure didn't!), I would greatly appreciate it!!

Advertisement

#2 Cherrie

Cherrie

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:48 PM

HiIs the raisin very sweet? I always found the over-sweetness of raisins bohter my stomach... (sorry I'm not sure what kind of fiber raisin bran has).Cherrie
Let your love flow outward through the universe, to its height, its depth, its broad extent - a limitless love, without hatred or enmity. Then as you stand or walk, sit or lie down, as long as you are awake, strive for this with a one-pointed mind; Your life will bring heaven to earth. -- Sutta Nipata

#3 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,890 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:22 PM

Raisin bran is wheat bran which is typically mostly insoluble fiber (no food is 100% one or the other)I think the only bran that counts as soluble fiber is oat bran.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#4 mrswoody

mrswoody

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:25 PM

Thanks!

#5 Guest_adhregina_*

Guest_adhregina_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:08 PM

Hi,I have IBS-D with a lot of abdominal pain... sometimes, so severe that I have prayed for God to take me! Believe me, I know what it is like rocking back & forth on the toilet!!!I also have been alternating with Raisin Bran & All Bran for breakfast for a good year now, but do not see a connection. Most foods if troublesome, I'll know right away... ongoing joke in my house is "let's time Daddy to see how long it takes him to go", ha ha.Thus, not sure how breakfast could affect you later on in the afternoon but, we're all different a little.I see that two moderators have answered you as well. I cannot really add much more. Not that they have the "guru" status, ha ha. Again, I see nothing wrong with the above Kellogg's cereals. I also take Metamucil and Benefiber plus, some grounded organic flaxseed though, have suspended the fibre recently for testing positive for C. Difficile... that's another story.Take care Mrs. Woody... if you decided that the cereal is a trigger food then by all means suspend taking it for a month... then return.Tony (nice guy in rural Saskatchewan, Canada)

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here