27 replies to this topic

#1 stebbs

stebbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:30 PM

Advertisement
I'm thinking about taking immodium daily. I've tried everything to help other then that. Just wondering if anyone uses it daily and if you have built up a tolerance to it?

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,904 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:49 PM

It seems that most people who use it daily are able to do so for the long term without problems.In the studies the same amount split into two doses a day 12 hours apart often give more control than the same amount all at once in the morning.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 clareuk

clareuk

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:09 PM

I take 2 immodiums in the morning, I did try splitting them up but it never worked for me. I also take one a bit later on in the morning. For me this helps me through the day at work. I had trouble when I would take them one day and not the next. So taking them everyday keeps everything more controlled. I don't have problems with getting backed up either.Hope this helps.Claire
I have suffered with diarrhea for over a decade now. I'm constantly trying to find the reason why I suddenly got this and how to get rid of it. I hope that I might be able to help someone else suffering with this, by sharing what I have learnt along the way.

#4 degrassi

degrassi

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:20 PM

I take immodium daily and have been for about 7 years.Right now I take about 2 pills but I adujust it to how i'm feeling that day.I've never had any issues with taking it daily.

#5 irritable bowel syndrome

irritable bowel syndrome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:31 AM

Yes my sister used imodium and did find relief for irritable bowel syndrome symptoms.

#6 Ashers86

Ashers86

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:39 PM

I usually tend to pop one whenever my stomach feels weird and I'm not at home.. seems to work.I go through a box of 24 Immodium in just over a month.. but one pill doses usually work.Although this idea of taking one a day sounds like a good idea.. just as long as no one says they've had problems with it....
IBS-D since October 2006; officially diagnosed with IBS in November 2006. Switch to C in May - December 2008 caused by anti-depressants.
Current health issues: Depression, Anxiety, Social Anxiety, Asthma/Allergies, IBS, & GERD.
Current Daily Medications: Prozac 20mg, Prevacid 30mg, Seroquel XR 25mg.

#7 just a guy

just a guy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

I pretty much did the same as the above post and took immodium almost daily when I felt blahhhh. It did serve its purpose backing me up for a day or so. I got into a habit of taking it almost every morning sometimes twice to get through work and now it doesn't work very well anymore. I haven't tried taking more than the recommended so I guess I could try that but that is gonna get expensive. Still doctors don't say there is anything wrong with doing it.

#8 Meda1992

Meda1992

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:11 PM

Personally, I've found that unfortunately, the more I use it, the less it works. So, the only time I use it is when I travel, which is fairly frequently. I know I will need it to work then, so I suffer with D or 7 - 10 BMs/day the rest of the time. Also, I think that in my case, I have a bacterial infection that has never been erased, lo these 14 years. In spite of several flagyl treatments and many colonoscopies, all of which say I'm normal except for small areas of slight irritation (!). My problem is not so slight, however! The other day, I took 3 Immodium, and although I made the plane trip home, they didn't stop my GI tract as they would have in the past. So, my advice is to use them sparingly. Sorry.

#9 IBS...a pain

IBS...a pain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:40 PM

i take imodium daily and have done for the past 8 years, i couldnt cope otherwise. i washouse bound for the first 2 years that i was diagnosed but imodium is my life saver.ive had 2 colonoscopies and both times my doctor informed my that taking imodium dailyis ok. sometimes i need up to 8 a day if im really bad but i havnt built up a tolerance andits doing me fine

#10 Siddick

Siddick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:12 AM

I do take Immodium also daily but i think of side effect like hemorrohoids.

#11 Ashers86

Ashers86

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:43 PM

Might be a little unrelated, but no point in starting a new topic...Has anyone else noticed a hard time going again after the Immodium? It's not so much constipation.. but I noticed it hardens so much it has literally ripped my rectum! Not fun... painful, and bloody. Kind of scared me....
IBS-D since October 2006; officially diagnosed with IBS in November 2006. Switch to C in May - December 2008 caused by anti-depressants.
Current health issues: Depression, Anxiety, Social Anxiety, Asthma/Allergies, IBS, & GERD.
Current Daily Medications: Prozac 20mg, Prevacid 30mg, Seroquel XR 25mg.

#12 pigeon

pigeon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:06 PM

I take three each morning, means I can get through work. If I'm feeling a bit grumbly at work I'll take another two to top it up. I asked my doctor if I would build up a tolerance and she said no I won't, but only time will tell I guess! I try and have breaks every so often, maybe spend a weekend indoors without taking any.Does it annoy anyone else that most packs of Loperamide only have six tablets in them?? I went into Boots the other week and to buy the bumper pack of 18 you had to go to the counter and ask for them (no doubt getting asked hundreds of questions about why you need so many!) mortifying!

#13 snoi

snoi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:11 AM

I used to take them every day, and it did seem like I needed more and more as time went by, which happens to some people but not everyone, apparently. Since I started doing Linda's calcium 6 months ago I only take immodium once in a great while, just to be SURE-like if I'm travelling, or if I know I'll be eating unusual food or something. Usually I don't really need it at all, just makes me feel more secure...

#14 duffman45

duffman45

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:51 AM

I take ammodium daily, more so on days when I'm out and about or know I'll be traveling. If I ever go out to eat I'll usually take 2 a half hour before I eat then another 2 just prior to, or during the meal. If I'm traveling or out on the town, sometimes I'll take several throughout the course of the night. If I'm at home or doing the normal everyday to and from work routine I might only take 1 or 2 in the morning and that may be it, depending on how I feel. I know it seems like a lot but I've decided that I would do pretty much whatever it takes to lead a somewhat normal life. I've been doing it like this for a couple years now and I've had no Ill affects. I talked to a couple doctors about it and was told that because the drug works directly on the intestines and is never processed through the liver, it has no negative side affects for prolonged use and very rarely leads to building a tolerance. So it should work just as well the first time you take it as it will the last.

#15 punky1976

punky1976

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:00 PM

I buy my loperamide 2mg tables at COSTO, they have the in house kirkland brand. I think I pay $8 for 2 bottles of 200 count lopermide. I use about 100- month depending on my symtoms. The memberhsip alone is worth it, you can get 400 tables for $8 or get 24 immodium for $6 bucks at a grocery store. No brainer,

#16 xxmrs-txx

xxmrs-txx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:16 AM

Hello, Ive taken imodium daily for some time now. I usually take 2 first thing in the morning, and if I get a flare up during the day I take 1 for each flare up. I can normally get by just taking the 2 in the morning, but if im nervous or stressed i sometimes need an extra one during the day. i havnt had any ill effects from it and it doesnt make me constipated either.hope that helps :(

#17 Scorchedpath

Scorchedpath

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:10 AM

I used to take immodium only after I started to have problems because once I took it, it seemed to disregulate me for the next few days. My gastroenterologist insisted that I needed to take it regularly as a preventative. Since I started taking one in the morning and one in the mid-afternoon about three months ago, I have gone from being virtually housebound to getting back to a pretty much normal routine. My doctor insists that you do not build up a tolerance to it and the research that I have done supports that. My doctor recommended Immodium Advanced which contains simethicone that helps to pass the gas by binding the gas bubbles together. I believe that has relieved some of the gas pain as well. I would be devastated if the immodium gradually loses its effectiveness but I have every confidence it will not. I think that some of those who believe that they are developing a tolerance might be experiencing a worsening of their IBS that then requires a higher dosage.

#18 newgirl60

newgirl60

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:33 AM

Try asking doctor for a prescription even though immodium is over the counter drug. There is a prescription lopermide ( immodium) that is in capsule form and I buy it by the 100. It is not individuallly wrapped in those horrible childproof blisterpacks that you need a scissors to open. Makes life easier and its very cheap. Only drawback is I still need some of the tablet form also cause sometime I take 1/2 tab. This is a fine balance, need to take just enough to slow you down but not cause constipation...tricky but you will get used to doing that. Daily immodium has literally given me my life back.

#19 Scorchedpath

Scorchedpath

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 03:05 PM

I can buy a bottle of 96 loperamide caplets (2mg) at Wal-Mart for six or seven dollars. It is sold under the Equate brand. Imodium Advanced is quite a bit more expensive. I think I paid about eleven dollars for 42 caplets also at Wal-Mart. Of course you can buy the generic loperamide and the generic simethicone and take them together and get the same thing as Imodium Advanced. It is true that you have to calibrate very carefully how much you take and when so as not to stop everything up entirely, especially if you take calcium as well. I have found a very nice balance with two Imodium Advanced a day. I never miss a day and it seems to even things out very nicely and predictably.

#20 sage1979

sage1979

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:51 PM

I have had IBS-D since 2003 and I take immodium daily! I do think I have built up a tolerance because I could easily take 6 a day now? I hope that helps and wish you the best of luck

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here