11 replies to this topic

#1 AlexaLynn

AlexaLynn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:23 PM

Advertisement
Please someone give me some advice on how to help an extremely distended abdomen. I've had IBS for 6 months and never had this problem. After I told my docotor my abdomen is distended he has me on Miralax, prune juice, Metamucil, and Align to try and cure it. It has been about 3-4 days and it's only getting worse. Please someone tell me something they've done to get rid of the distention. I would love some advice and feedback.

Advertisement

#2 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:43 PM

Read the Poor kiwi post,i gave her my ideas...Miralax,MOM and fibers supplements are pro-bloating.
---------------------------------
-->IBS INDUCED BY NSAIDS NAPROXEN
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
-Permanent discomfort/cecum&sigmoid stuck/trapped gas-
---->IBS-Type constipation normal transit time(diagnose with non-relaxing puborectalis december 2005)
--->Pubic nevralgia
***WORST PERMANENTLY SINCE RIFAXIMIN

#3 AlexaLynn

AlexaLynn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:08 PM

What is the KIWI Post? I have gained 10 pounds in two days. My stomach and torso is so distended that I'm sitting here and crying. I'm stopping the Metamucil but my docotr won't let me stop the Align. Can you give me anymore tips or help? I'm so uncomfortable and embaressed that I won't even leave the house.

#4 tiredofthebloat

tiredofthebloat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:20 PM

Other than Zelnorm nothing has helped me. This is a normal occurence for me and is basically my "normal". When I have days and my stomach is not distended and painful I am on top of the world. I live with this abdominal distention and pain and many times it can take my breath way. I have to undo the top of my pants/skirts to help alleviate the pain at the end of day sometimes.I am sorry but I don't agree with those who say they can't work or leave the house due to IBS. I have struggled with this for over 10 years and live through the discomfort, you learn to cope. Yes I am frustrated as hell and wish for a cure but I don't let it depress me or keep me from doing th ings. I just do them and be done with it.With that said I don't see why you can't leave the house?

#5 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:04 PM

I assume you have trapped gas.This is a form of constipation.Lay down on your left side with a firm cushion underneath your trapped gas.Try to do multiple burping.Then change on the rigth side and so on...The added pressure of the cushion promote gas movement.If you add heat it works even better.Here my post from the constipation forum:If you want diarrhea ,there is Dulcolax.Expect cramps if you are a new user but i found it less irritating than Senna.One thing when you are exacerbated is suppository!!!It can release lower trapped gas!I haven't tried Amitiza yet but i may try it.
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
---->IBS-Type constipation normal transit time(diagnose with non-relaxing puborectalis december 2005)
--->Pubic nevralgia

#6 AlexaLynn

AlexaLynn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:27 AM

My problem isn't having a bowel movement. I have bowel movements daily. It's gas and my stomach looks like I'm three months pregnant. I don't know what to do.

#7 IvoryFingers

IvoryFingers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:57 AM

Especially with severe bloating like yours, I wouldn't be surprised if you have a trigger food that you may be completely unaware of.I still get bloated from EVERYTHING I eat, but I've seen a significant improvement since I've stopped eating fruit. A friend of mine (A biology student, but not an actual doctor mind you) informed me that Fructase enzyme is one of the first enzymes you'll lose if you have damage to your intestinal lining, and I've certainly found that fruits and fruit juices blow me up like a balloon often just a few seconds after eating. If I take my shirt off, I can watch myself go from flat to bloated like some creepy magic trick.It's also worth mentioning that as your abdominal muscles get stretched out, they're less effective at eliminating gas, and tend to flop out at the slightest pressure. Try as hard as you can to get exercise every day, and try to find a source of protien that doesn't get you distended to help build those muscles back up (I use whey powder. It's nasty, but I seem to absorb it fine)Good luck (and be careful of sugars and tough fiber)

#8 Jessicaa78

Jessicaa78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:32 AM

Hi, I have a problem with this too. I no longer experience this often. It comes from your stomach producing large quantities of gas. I would go on a raw foods diet (fruit, vegetables and most importantly NO BREAD) I would also buy some glycerine suppositories as it tends to help people pass gas. Good luck!

#9 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:58 PM

Especially with severe bloating like yours, I wouldn't be surprised if you have a trigger food that you may be completely unaware of.I still get bloated from EVERYTHING I eat, but I've seen a significant improvement since I've stopped eating fruit. A friend of mine (A biology student, but not an actual doctor mind you) informed me that Fructase enzyme is one of the first enzymes you'll lose if you have damage to your intestinal lining, and I've certainly found that fruits and fruit juices blow me up like a balloon often just a few seconds after eating. If I take my shirt off, I can watch myself go from flat to bloated like some creepy magic trick.It's also worth mentioning that as your abdominal muscles get stretched out, they're less effective at eliminating gas, and tend to flop out at the slightest pressure. Try as hard as you can to get exercise every day, and try to find a source of protien that doesn't get you distended to help build those muscles back up (I use whey powder. It's nasty, but I seem to absorb it fine)Good luck (and be careful of sugars and tough fiber)

Interesting theory about fructase.Is there any scientifc fructase enzym seller?To move gas,sit on a washing machine and put it at "Spin".The shaking help promoting movement of gas.
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
--->Pubic nevralgia

#10 jvh42

jvh42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:23 AM

I get a distelled abdomin too and the pain from the gas can be very intense. It hurts like death and I've been short on solutions. One thing I found that has added some benefit and relief is Charco Caps. Go Here: http://www.amazon.co...h...9276&sr=8-2

#11 darenz

darenz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:39 PM

I have similar symptoms to you for 4 years now - metamucil made me worse, fruit makes me worse, esp juices can be bad cos of speed with which they are absorbed I now avoid all fruit especially dried - have you considered candida which causes constant bloating and is associated with diet/sugar consumption? Herbalist/naturopath can muscle test to confirm then help with supporting tinctures if positive. Good luck

#12 GuyNamedChris

GuyNamedChris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:24 AM

You can try a product with Simethicone in it. I believe Gas-X has simethicone. It does not get rid of gas, it just helps it get out easier.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here