9 replies to this topic

#1 obsyr

obsyr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:17 PM

Advertisement
Hello fellow IBS'ers... Anyone else get bulges from their IBS? I was diagnosed 25 years ago with IBS and get flare ups of 3-4 months or sometimes just a few weeks. Anyway, after being on antibiotics (which turned out not necessary) two separate rounds in mid-December to mid-January I now have a little bulge in my stomach. It's just to the right of my belly button. I first noticed it in December and it didn't hurt, then after I went to the doc's last week complaining of my IBS, I pointed it out. Though it is not visible to the doc or my husband, I can feel the difference, especially if I lay down (I'm not a very big person). My doctor has been treating my IBS for 20+ years. He listened to my intestines and said they sounded very angry. He poked and pushed around my stomach/intestines. He concluded he thought I riled up my intestines from the antibiotics and the puffiness (bulge) is probably pockets of air and feces (sorry...ew). He also said that as we get older our body is not symetrical and as muscles weaken, things can look uneven. Bottom line... I was sent away, told to take the "good bacteria" for a week, drink lots of water, etc. I have horrible food allergies and I did "cheat" and was on a non-fat ice cream binge for a couple of months (October - December) and yes, I'm allergic to milk. Oh...just so no one asks...I had a endoscopy and colonoscopy last year and were both normal.HELP!!! Love you guys,Marilyn

Advertisement

#2 tiredofthebloat

tiredofthebloat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:38 PM

That is interesting. I was at the GI a couple of weeks ago and when she was poking around my belly she felt something to the left of belly button. It was tender when she was poking as where some areas. She continued to poke and then had a hard time finding it again. The next day it was sore where she was poking but after that nothing. She didn't seem the least bit worried either.

#3 J.S

J.S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:37 PM

I am really glad that someone posted this as I have always noticed a little bulge just below my belly button but always just thought it was "baby fat" even though no amount of exercise made it go away.Let me know if you figure something out that helps with it.

#4 obsyr

obsyr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:12 PM

I'll keep in touch. This site is a bit of a life-line for me right now. The IBS this time is messing with my head. I've had bulges in my lower left side before from this...for months at a time. Because it is in a new location, new pain it brings new fears.Thanks

#5 jvh42

jvh42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:38 AM

Interesting, I have a little bulge to the right of my belly button too. It too is not noticable to my doctor and only my wife and I notice it. I have had several x-rays and even a ct scan of my abdomin and pelvis only to discover a large amount of gas in that part of the colon. You're not alone and I always worried a little bit about it since I've had multiple hernias in the past. I'd maybe check to see if it's a hernia but otherwise, your doctor's probably right with his diagnosis.

#6 obsyr

obsyr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:17 AM

wow, it's nice to see someone else with something like me...this makes me insane. I worry so much of the unknown even though I've had so many tests over the years and last year a colonoscopy and endoscopy that were normal. It seems every time something different pops up it scares the daylights out of me. That's exactly what my family practice doc said...right side bulge is air, gas, etc, unhappy intestines, IBS. blah blah blahSaturday night I was so sick... Hadn't gone to the bathroom in almost 3 days (don't know why) and then about an hour after dinner I felt the pain coming on (pain during this episode was on the left side). I ended up in the bathroom for the next couple of hours crying, standing up, sitting down. It was horrible. I couldn't breathe, my heart was racing, the pain in my intestines was awful. I took it easy yesterday and when I ate dinner last night (very light dinner) I had another run to the bathroom but it was on a much smaller scale than the night before. My poor insides are very unhappy. I called the gastro doc this morning for an appointment, though my husband said -- he's just going to verify what you know. First appointment I could get is March 18th, but had them put me on the appt. cancellation list.Thank you for anyone who is listening.

#7 Bing

Bing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:20 AM

I have a similar bulge on the lower right side, usually in the morning, the entire right side feels tender and tight then, it usually does actually. I massage it, press it with care and most of the time it decreases in volume and I pass some gas.

It comes and goes but lately it's there every morning. The discomfort, can't call it pain really, often spreads to the side and back as well.

It used to worry me but I'm pretty sure it's just trapped gas building up at a certain spot.

#8 DbabyWallace

DbabyWallace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

I also have bulges in my abdomen.. They tend to form when I haven't had a BM for a few days or a few hours after a meal. Most constipation occurs in the cecum (lower right side of abdomen) and in the rectum (lower left side of abdomen). Marilyn, I'd definitely say get an x-ray simply to see if you have accumulated gas or stool in parts of your abdomen. Sometimes you can massage this mass to get it moving through your intestine even though its painful. Yeah, antibiotics have done absolutely NOTHING to help my pain or bloating. If anything, they make my IBS symptoms even worse. Do you use laxatives consistently?? Chronic laxative use can cause your intestines to lose their elasticity  and get kind of "flabby," which I can also cause bulges in your abdomen. Keep trusting your own body. You know what's normal and what's not. I'm sorry you are experiencing pain, Marilyn. : ( God bless.

PS: The doctor seriously thinks you have this bulge from antibiotics back in JANUARY? That really seems like a stretch! 

#9 Bing

Bing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:02 AM

Most constipation occurs in the cecum (lower right side of abdomen)

I googled 'cecum location', seems like my bulge location and discomfort.

#10 DbabyWallace

DbabyWallace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

I googled 'cecum location', seems like my bulge location and discomfort.

I'm going to a masseuse tomorrow who specializes in helping patients with IBS. She does reflexology with the feet (certain locations on the foot stimulate the bowels, chinese medicinal roots) and also will rub the stomach. It sounds kind of creepy, but lots of us rub our stomach when there are weird bulges in our stomach or pain. I will let you know how it goes!! I've talked to other people who have gone to her (even though their cases aren't as severe) and it seems to be helpful. Maybe there is someplace in the Netherlands where you could get something similar done... ??

Oh, and also... Maybe you should experiment one night with Miralax or an osmotic laxative (they're not addictive) to simply clear out your intestines. This might get rid of the bulge for a few days. There might be trapped stool near or in your cecum. This might also decrease the gas you have each morning. Just a thought. : )  

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here