No replies to this topic

#1 BS2913

BS2913

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:44 PM

Advertisement
Hi, I'm am overweight 50 year old male with no previous history of IBS, who recently began experiencing chronic acid reflux. I suspected that my bad dietary habits--eating big meals too close to bedtime, too much wine, etc.--were probably to blame. In addition to being more mindful of lifestlye and diet changes that could help, I also started taking Zantac 150 twice a day before meals, as directed. The acid reflux improved, but about 7-10 days after starting the Zantac, I began experiencing extreme bloating, cramping and diarrhea, which all seemed consistent with IBS. Wondering if there could be a connection with the Zantac, I went online, and discovered that researchers now believe that both proton pump inhibitors(Protonix, Nexium etc) as well as H2 receptor antagonists (Zantac, Tagamet, Pepcid, etc) can cause intestinal problems. Apparently, stomach acid kills off bad bacteria, and by suppressing it, users can be more susceptible to c. difficile colitis. I quit the Zantac, and have been taking apple cider vinegar cocktails 3 times daily, as well as yogurt with active cultures for the last 5 days and my symptoms have improved greatly (no more bloating/cramping and and the "D" is getting better by the day, though still not gone). I'm convinced the Zantac brought this on, and am wondering if anyone else has had any similar experiences. Also, I read that antibiotics are normally prescribed to knock this out, though that can also cause problems by killing off the good bacteria. I've been reading a lot about probiotics, and in addition to the yogurt, have also bought some DanActive and Kefir milk. I'd like to try this approach first, but am wondering if it will work and how to integrate the ACV, active yogurt, Kefir and DanActive for best results....Any input would be greatly appreciated! 1)

Advertisement

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here