41 replies to this topic

#1 rosiep

rosiep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:27 AM

Advertisement
I know this may sound really crazy, but does anyone's pain intensify when sitting? If I stand and walk around my lower IBS pain seems less. When I sit (which is most of the day, cause I have a desk job) it hurts much more. Am I nuts, or is this possible?

Advertisement

#2 Fen

Fen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:42 PM

Nope, not crazy. This happens to me too. My only thought is that gas maybe gets trapped if you're not moving around enough, causing pain?The difference with me is that when I get this pain, then it also hurts to stand/walk/do anything other than lay down :(

#3 Puppy3D

Puppy3D

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:07 PM

Hi rosiepI have exactly the same type of pain you have. I can only sit in a relaxed position. The problem is, when I sit the upper legs puts pressure on my tummy, like a tension. Its horrible. Also gas gets trapped when I sit too long. Do you have the same issues?
IBS pain

#4 rosiep

rosiep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:58 AM

Hello Puppy3D and Fen,I hurt the most while sitting at my desk at work and driving the car...must be the positions I'm sitting in. Believe it or not, I actually feel better when I'm moving around. I've just had a medicine change from Levbid to Donnetal, I'm hoping the Donnetal kicks in soon! Being in some sort of pain for most of the day is really starting to get to me! Thanks for responding.

#5 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,855 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:33 AM

check out thishttp://www.healthsco...8/373/main.htmlThis is pain at the rectum that can get worse with sitting so that may be an explanation for it.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#6 Fen

Fen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:42 PM

I've found that it helps tremendously to wear pants that are somewhat loose in the waist and (this is the most important) are a softer, flexible fabric. My pain is significantly worse when I wear pants that are stiff and cause pressure on my lower abdomen. While I've intuitively known this for some time, it really hit home the other day when I got stuck driving for several hours in my cute albeit stiff and somewhat tight jeans. AGONY!!I'm beyond the point of caring what I look like, if my pants are visibly a little big on me. I just want to be comfortable!

#7 dancinggirl

dancinggirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:35 PM

Your symptoms are describing me exactly although my discomfort is in my upper abdomen and even in my back when I sit. Does that sound familiar? This gets much worse as the day goes on. I am going to the doc tomorow to ask about this strnage bloating and discomfort. Whenever I go to the doc I always feel like a go on and on. Mostly, I just don't want this to be anything serious. I have had IBS D for a very long time , but have to say this symptom is pretty new. Can anyone give any advice or reassurance? The last time I had this much discomfort I had to have my gallbladder out!

#8 rosiep

rosiep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:21 AM

Yes, my lower back bothers me as well. And the pain often gets worse as the day goes on. I usually feel much better if I'm standing or moving around--sitting still really makes the pain worse. Laying flat often helps. Good luck at the doctor's--been there done that, as well. Sometimes I feel like my doctor just doesn't have patience with me. I'm actually thinking about switching docs.

#9 tjtj

tjtj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:13 AM

I was diagnosed with levator syndrome 8 mo. prior to IBS....it was more painful for me than the IBS in that it impacted my hips, legs and total pelvic region. It was diagnosed by my col/rect doc by manual exam. He relieved months of pain in about 5 minutes but it was very painful to let him do it. I would wonder how many folks may have both syndromes at some time or another since I question how much of both have to do with storing stress in mucsle groups. I used baths and a lot of mental coaching to releive the LS and it worked. I have not had the same success with the right abd. pain, that I just posted yesterday.

#10 jeannief

jeannief

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:06 AM

I have pretty much the same problem. When my IBS starts acting up (usually caused from stress) It feels like someone is sitting on my stomach which cause more pressure then pain. When I stand & walk around it's greatlly relieved. Guess I have to learn how to manage my stress better.

#11 plumber

plumber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:13 PM

This happens to me also. I have had this problem for over two years. I have had about every test you can have. With no results. If there is a doctor that knows what it is I have not found them yet. My Family doctor thinks it may be IBS. I have no diarrea plenty constipation. The pain goes away when I am exercising, running or laying down. It starts as soon as I get up in the morning. Seems to get better after I pass gas. I was hoping that somebody might be able to shed some light on this also. I can not believe that I am only the person that has this problem. The pain fells like a side stitch that you can get when running.If anyone has any suggestions I am listening.

#12 deezerdeezer

deezerdeezer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:25 PM

I too have this pain - it is noticeably worse when driving and sometimes sitting for long periods of time.Through this I found out that have Celiac disease, though I am not sure if the pain is related or not. I have had lots of tests done and other than slightly elevated inflammation levels, no one has been able to tell me what is going on. Has anyone that has this found out what it might be, or has it gone away with time or some physical therapy or something?Sometimes I wonder if it is stress related.. I have been trying to destress.Has anyone looked into the possibility that it is related to the abdominal wall? http://www.aafp.org/.../0801/p431.html

#13 bb0165

bb0165

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:33 AM

I'm experiencing the same thing since 1 year and a half... abdominal pain while sitting + trouble wearing regular pantsI'm not diagnosed with IBS and doesn't have related symptoms ...Does one of you found any answers or any clue ?

#14 Sorbsy

Sorbsy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:11 PM

I'm experiencing the same thing since 1 year and a half... abdominal pain while sitting + trouble wearing regular pantsI'm not diagnosed with IBS and doesn't have related symptoms ...Does one of you found any answers or any clue ?

I've had pain from sitting for long periods since I was a kid. Mine does not always originate in my intestines. I have a kind of dysautonomia that causes fluids to build up in my abdomen when I sit for relatively long periods (upwards of an hour), which most definitely does have an affect on my guts themselves. Bloating, aching, cramping, and even nausea often ensue. But for me, I'm diagnosed with both and this is a known issue.Secondly, iliopsoas muscles can cause abdominal pain if you have an issue with them or any attaching ligaments, and I know this from experience. The sensation is a constant ache that can radiate into your legs, and there can obviously be back ache associated with it as well. There are exercises to help ease this; I went to a physical therapist and the treatments were a godsend.Also, for all women: sitting is going to make any womanly issues you have worse. I had perimenstrual cramps for the first time a couple weeks ago, and it was agony to sit with them for more than thirty minutes. Hooboy. Bad bladders also don't appreciate long bouts of sitting.If you haven't been diagnosed with anything, I'd highly recommend a full work up as soon as you can, just to ease your worries. With my diagnoses, I know the cause, and I know the treatment. The only way to know is to get the tests.
"As a doctor I should be able to tell you what causes diarrhea. However, viewer, it is one of the greatest mysteries in the scientific world." - Dr. Steve Brule

Proud member of The "Mitral Valve Prolapse Dysautonomia" With Dysfunctioning Thyroid club; presently hosting a wonky GI tract, malfunctioning endocrine system, factor V Leiden thrombophilia, and morbid humour.

#15 deezerdeezer

deezerdeezer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:47 PM

I've had pain from sitting for long periods since I was a kid. Mine does not always originate in my intestines. I have a kind of dysautonomia that causes fluids to build up in my abdomen when I sit for relatively long periods (upwards of an hour), which most definitely does have an affect on my guts themselves. Bloating, aching, cramping, and even nausea often ensue. But for me, I'm diagnosed with both and this is a known issue.Secondly, iliopsoas muscles can cause abdominal pain if you have an issue with them or any attaching ligaments, and I know this from experience. The sensation is a constant ache that can radiate into your legs, and there can obviously be back ache associated with it as well. There are exercises to help ease this; I went to a physical therapist and the treatments were a godsend.Also, for all women: sitting is going to make any womanly issues you have worse. I had perimenstrual cramps for the first time a couple weeks ago, and it was agony to sit with them for more than thirty minutes. Hooboy. Bad bladders also don't appreciate long bouts of sitting.If you haven't been diagnosed with anything, I'd highly recommend a full work up as soon as you can, just to ease your worries. With my diagnoses, I know the cause, and I know the treatment. The only way to know is to get the tests.

How did you find a physical therapist that could help you with this? I have chronic left upper quadrant pain that I have not been able to get help for...

#16 Sorbsy

Sorbsy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:02 PM

How did you find a physical therapist that could help you with this? I have chronic left upper quadrant pain that I have not been able to get help for...

I have a an intuitive GP, she generally knows right where to throw me when I have a complaint. Nothing showed on my x-rays, so ligaments and muscular problems were assumed, diagnosed, and treated.Left upper quadrant abdomen or back? I'll assume abdomen. That's a popular place for cramps, I get them there when I've been sitting in a car on a long road trip, or if I've been lying on my back for too long. When I had a severe leg DVT in 2008 I was forced to lie on my back for days, MY GOD my upper left hurt, right under my ribs. The ache eventually spread to my upper right, too. I told doctors about it but they didn't know what it was, and it wasn't bad enough to really investigate. As long as I keep moving, it's never there.
"As a doctor I should be able to tell you what causes diarrhea. However, viewer, it is one of the greatest mysteries in the scientific world." - Dr. Steve Brule

Proud member of The "Mitral Valve Prolapse Dysautonomia" With Dysfunctioning Thyroid club; presently hosting a wonky GI tract, malfunctioning endocrine system, factor V Leiden thrombophilia, and morbid humour.

#17 bb0165

bb0165

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:54 AM

I'm a 31 years old man and i work as a programmer... so I have to sit all the time My pain is mostly in the upper part of the abdomen (epigastric region) mostly on the right side and affects low ribs up to the spine...But even if the pain is in the upper part...I still cannot wear normal pants... so I have to wear very loose sweat pants...Do you guys have tips for clothing ...Searching for pants that are not armfull for my problems is really a puzzle...If someone has the same problem and have found comfortable pants... could you share the links ?Thanks

#18 Sorbsy

Sorbsy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

I'm a 31 years old man and i work as a programmer... so I have to sit all the time My pain is mostly in the upper part of the abdomen (epigastric region) mostly on the right side and affects low ribs up to the spine...But even if the pain is in the upper part...I still cannot wear normal pants... so I have to wear very loose sweat pants...Do you guys have tips for clothing ...Searching for pants that are not armfull for my problems is really a puzzle...If someone has the same problem and have found comfortable pants... could you share the links ?Thanks

This is going to sound strange, but so far I've been loving looser fitting army fatigues. Like, the real deal. I'm thin and pretty well toned (despite lack of exercise), so I'm not sure how this would pan out for abdomens with more fat padding. They're not the prettiest, but guys can pull it off even better than women, I assume. ;)Keeping in mind I'm actually a woman and have monthly bloat on top of IBS bloat, so I have to contend with looking and feeling pregnant. These pants allow for it all.

#19 Mousekitty

Mousekitty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 04:29 PM

I'm also new here. So glad to see that I'm not nuts to think that standing and walking around a bit seems to help the spasms in my lower GI. Problem is, I have back problems too (due to a car accident in April 2010), so I can't walk for extended periods of time. I just got discharged from the hospital a little over 24 hours ago, and the pain isn't gone. As in the hospital, it isn't constant, but cyclic, coming and going like labor contractions - sometimes ten minutes apart, some times hours. Also, they tend to last anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes.Right now, I'm LIVING for those times (be them short or long) between HORRIBLE pain spasms. When they are not present, I feel fine - good to great, in fact. But when they hit, there is no world, only pain. My pain is so similar to the pain from gas (and yes, I tried symethicone, thinking it might help, and it didn't) and the pain I used to get very badly from menstruation (which is not the current issue, I know for a fact I'm not near that time of the month, even though my menstrual cycles are often months between each other due to polycystic ovarian syndrome).When the pain hits, it feels like someone is reaching into my lower abdomen, just above my pelvis, grabbing, and squeezing as hard as possible. I've willingly modified my diet this week, and haven't had much solid food at all, sticking to things like pudding, gelatin, chicken broth, and yogurt. I even went NPO (no food, no fluids, nothing by mouth) while in the hospital in an attempt to stop ANYTHING from getting to my GI tract [they even considered an NG - nasal-gastric - tube for a time]. When I was in the hospital, after about a day of horrible spasms and pain, they began to get better - treated with bental, lortab, and even morphine - but still never completely went away.So now I'm at home, and decided to place myself again on NPO. When it hurts, I get to the point of swearing off food entirely for the rest of my life! I'm almost scared to death of it, because the pain hurts so much. On the pain scale, it ranges from a 5-6 clean through a good 9,000 (yes, on a 1-10 pain scale, with one being the least pain and 10 being the most pain). I'm not pain wimp, but DANG! I want to die when it hits me. But when it's gone, I'm fine (with the exception of occasional diarrhea, which I'll take any day over the pain, and might also be existing/continuing because I haven't eaten solid foods for a while}.I think I'll try a walk when the next bought of pain hits. At least it's a beautiful day here today. I'm very glad that I don't have to go to work on Monday, because I'm not sure I could even get there. In fact, I'm not even worrying about work right now, because I know that there is plenty to worry about there and that I need to focus on ME for a while, and to heck with work!Sorry if this was a bit rambling, but I just had to air this out somehow. Glad to know I'm not alone. Misery loves company, I guess?Thanks,-mkEdit: As for clothing, I've worn nothing but hospital gowns and short summer-style dresses for days, so I know that wearing pants isn't causing or worsening my pain. Generally speaking, I rarely wear tight fitting clothing, especially pants, because I'm overweight. I've somehow lost around 30 lbs in the past few months (with out trying or attempting to lose weight, even though I know I need to), so the pants that I wear now are even looser than usual (I can take of my jeans now with out even unbuttoning and/or unzipping them). But right now, I'm so far beyond caring what I look like that I don't care what people think of me wearing loose clothing. My prayers and thoughts are with those who have their problems increased due to clothing, though! *hugs*!

Edited by Mousekitty, 21 May 2011 - 04:34 PM.

#20 lukajaare

lukajaare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:13 AM

Too tight waistband can be the cause of your pain because they hinder circulation amongst other dysfunctions which can cause abdominal pain. Well, this explains why you get relieved when you stand and move around; the pressure gets eased. Check your jeans/skirts and see how tight are they?

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here