#1 thickthighs

thickthighs

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:00 PM

Advertisement
i found a website last night that has a list of foods we can eat and a list we cant it also has recipeswww.wholeapproach.com....apparently these people have been dealing with the yeast issue awhile and they know what they're doingmight try a recipe or two in a couple weeks,want to do the liquid fast next week

Advertisement

#2 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,983 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:14 PM

Thickthighs, this is a red hearing.There is NO candida, like they promote. I will post a Ton of info on all this.The diet can help IBS for other reasons."Its not "candida syndrome" and candida helps fight pathogens. The diet for candida however might help IBS."Another implicated source of food allergens is yeast, although a low yeast diet is not a recognized and validated diet. The usual yeast exclusion diet forbids a wide range of foods, including baked goods, milk products, commercial cereals and juices, meat products, B vitamin preparations, and foods containing added sugars. Thus, this diet excludes many of the foods to which IBS patients (and others) are intolerant. "This isn't even IBS researchers who are now looking at IBS with super high powerful miscroscopes and no overgrowth of candida. These are allergy people.There is no eveidence in IBS, in fact its already been ruled out as a cause back in 92People they actually test where they think they have this don't.Chronic CandidiasisUse: Treatment of a variety of ailments including allergy, irritable bowel, food allergy and intolerance, autoimmunity, arthritis and psychological conditions. Method: This approach is based on the concept that imbalance of gut flora results in overgrowth of Candida albicans within the gut. Release of fungal toxins results in a variety of symptoms including fatigue, arthritis, irritable bowel, food intolerance as well as psychological symptoms. These toxins weaken the immune system, predisposing to further symptoms from ingested foods and toxins. Treatment centres on dietary supplements, administration of antifungal drugs such as nystatin, and restriction of “Candida friendly” foods such as those containing sugars, yeast or molds. Evidence: Level II Comment: Candida is a normal gut organism, and immune responses (antibodies, cell mediated responses) to this organism are both expected and observed in healthy controls as well as those allegedly suffering from this condition. There is no evidence of overgrowth of Candida or altered immune responses to this organism in patients complaining of this syndrome. There is neither a scientific rationale nor published evidence that elimination of Candida with diets or anti-fungal therapy is useful for management. Evidence, claims and counterclaimsThere are only two types of therapies for disease; those that have been proven to be effective, and those that are unproven. The plural of anecdote or testimonial is not good clinical evidence. The medical literature is littered with the corpses of treatments previously claimed or thought to be effective on theoretical grounds, later discarded as unproven when subjected to careful study. ASCIA recommends against the use of unproven diagnostic treatments and treatmentsA multitude of tests have been proposed to detect “hidden allergies”, based on concepts of disease pathogenesis very different to those underlying Western medicine. These have no scientific rationale, and have not been shown to be reliable or reproducible when subjected to formal study. Not only are such tests unreliable in diagnosing allergic disease, they are also increasingly being promoted for the diagnosis and management of disorders for which no evidence of immune system involvement exists. ASCIA strongly advises against the use of these tests for diagnosis or to guide medical treatment. No Medicare rebate is available in Australia for these tests, and their use is not supported in New Zealand. If you kill the candida that IS SUPPOSE TO BE THERE naturally, you can open yourself up to other pathogens, because candida helps fight pathogens.There is a real candida infection in Immune compromized individuals such as aids and cancer.If you had real candida overgrowth in the colon which is rare you would be hospitalized.This might be keeping you from getting real effewctive treatments for IBS. Although the diet may help IBS it is also way to limiting.
I am not a doctor. All information I present is for educational purposes only and should not be subsituted for the advise of a qualified health care provider.

Please make sure you have your symptoms diagnosed by a medical practitioner or a doctor.

#3 thickthighs

thickthighs

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:16 PM

as you know eric,we can not get rid of ALL yeast because we need it in our guts..this diet is working for me and i dont smell as bad as i once did..but the smell is still there so farif its going to get me smell free im going to do ityou do whats best and works for you and i will do whats best for me :(

#4 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,983 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:36 PM

"get rid of ALL yeast because we need it in our guts" Exactly they help PROTECT us.By killing them you can open yourself up to bad pathogens. As well as bacterial alterations in general both from the diet and from any meds.Out of curosity though how can candida cause smell? This diet is probably working for you and has nothing to do with candida. Just reducing sugars can help gas production for instance or starches. Are you talking gas odor?There are some 500 gut bacteria speicies as well as other organisms, but candida do to the alternative community focused in on that one and the information itself is really bad information.One thing for sure which can cause odor is C-diff infection which can come on from messing with the gut flora, such as antibiotics. This is one of the most common ones as well.
I am not a doctor. All information I present is for educational purposes only and should not be subsituted for the advise of a qualified health care provider.

Please make sure you have your symptoms diagnosed by a medical practitioner or a doctor.

#5 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,983 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:41 PM

I would also be EXTREMELY wary of that website and the information therein.

#6 thickthighs

thickthighs

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:06 AM

i dont have c-diff eric..i used to work in a nursing home and i know what that is..its a smell you will NEVER forgeti dont know just how the fungus smells..i have heard it attaches itself to your liver and kidneys and that causes the smellbtw my fatulence isnt that problem, as far as smell is concerned..when i get nervous or anxious my body releases the poo smell..its not because of trapped feces because i use a warm water enema every morningi really dont have large amounts of gas because i have LG throughout the day..i know this because my butt hole is hott

#7 thickthighs

thickthighs

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:07 AM

thank you for your concern eric about that website..but im sure there are people there who feel the same way about this onehave a nice day

#8 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,983 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:06 PM

If you had it as an overgrowth ACTULLY effecting your liver and kidneys, you would be in the hospital with a blood infection and your immune system would have to be HIGHLY compromised."i dont know just how the fungus smells..i have heard it attaches itself to your liver and kidneys and that causes the smell"There is a lot of reasons for odor. Diet itself is certainly one of them, regardless of so called candida infection you can't see.Did you have a colonoscopy? Have you been diagnosed with IBS?I also take it your C.

#9 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,983 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:50 PM

FYI"Chronic CandidiasisOverviewIt has been proposed that the asymptomatic colonization with Candida might be associated with a variety of symptoms and cause a "Candida Hypersensitivity Syndrome" [599] This concept was popularized by William Crook, MD in his book The Yeast Connection [491]. Previously, C.O. Truss, a physician from Birmingham, Alabama had proposed the existence of such a malady [2257, 2259]. Other names that have been given to this presumed condition include: Candida-Related Complex Polysystemic Candidiasis Chronic Candidiasis (This term should not be confused with Chronic Mucocutaneous Candidiasis) The syndrome is theoretically due to an overgrowth of Candida albicans in the gastrointestinal tract or in association with mucous membranes. The syndrome is said to occur in connection with some or all of the following risk factors: Use of broad spectrum antibiotics Use of oral contraceptives Ingestion of diets rich in yeast-containing foods or readily utilizable carbohydrates. Pregnancy Tremendous attention by public media and health magazines has created a large body of uncritical publications on this topic [399, 486, 490, 2046, 2256, 2257, 2258, 2259, 2459]. There are no rigorous data to support these concepts. The whole idea is based on historical controls and no working definition has been ever assessed [220]. Although brief communications by the proponents have appeared in major journals [483, 484, 485, 487, 488, 489, 492], the actual studies performed by these physicians do not appear to have been subjected to peer review. The American Academy of Allergy and Immunology published a position paper in 1986 stating that the concept was "speculative and unproven" [84]. Later, a carefully designed study on the topic by Dismukes et al. demonstrated that the condition does not appear to be reproducible or verifiable [599].http://www.doctorfun...Candidiasis.htmIf candida WAS infecting your liver and kidneys it would be through the blood and this is called "Deep candidiasis (for example, candida sepsis) — In deep candidiasis, Candida fungi contaminate the bloodstream and spread throughout the body, causing severe infection. This is especially common in newborns with very low birth weights and in people with severely weakened immune systems or severe medical problems. In these people, Candida fungi may get into the bloodstream through skin catheters, tracheostomy sites, ventilation tubing, or surgical wounds. Deep candidiasis also can occur in healthy people if Candida fungi enter the blood through intravenous drug abuse, severe burns or wounds caused by trauma.""Deep candidiasis — When Candida spreads to the bloodstream, it may cause a wide range of symptoms, from unexplained fever to shock and multiple organ failure."http://www.intelihea...9339/31092.html

#10 postmortem

postmortem

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:55 PM

it's pretty hard to prove who's right and who's wrong. sorry medical journals don't always count. whether there is candida or not, as long as it helps thickthighs then it can have whatever name it wants. it might be better to try something than to be sitting ducks and wait for the scientific community to publish a study or med for this.

#11 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,983 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:35 PM

Postmortem"it's pretty hard to prove who's right and who's wrong."They have to prove the condition exists and so far they have not been able to do so. Even when they actually really look at people who claim they have it, they don't.An over growth would also be detectable in stool samples. This Postgrad Med J. 1992 Jun;68(800):453-4.LinksComment in:Postgrad Med J. 1993 Jan;69(807):80. The role of faecal Candida albicans in the pathogenesis of food-intolerant irritable bowel syndrome.Middleton SJ, Coley A, Hunter JO.Department of Gastroenterology, Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, UK.Candida albicans was sought in stool samples from 38 patients with irritable bowel syndrome and 20 healthy controls. In only three patients with irritable bowel syndrome was C. albicans discovered and these patients had either recently received antibiotics or the stool sample had been delayed more than 24 hours in transit. C. albicans was isolated from none of the control stool samples. We conclude that C. albicans is not involved in the aetiology of the irritable bowel syndrome.PMID: 1437926This was back in 96 and still has not happened"1: Fortschr Med. 1996 Sep 20;114(26):319-21.Links[Pathogenicity of fungi in the intestines--current status of the discussion][Article in German]Scheurlen M.Medizinische Poliklinik, Universität, Würzburg.The hypothesis that colonization of the intestinal tract by yeasts (e.g. Candida albicans) can lead to disease in immunocompromised individuals is currently being discussed controversially. Proponents assume that toxins produced by the fungi can trigger such complaints as irritable bowel syndrome of the chronic fatigue syndrome, and that such chronic or recurrent infections may be caused by an intestinal reservoir of yeasts. Opponents of the hypothesis, however, point out that no hard data on the pathogenetic significance of an intestinal reservoir of yeasts are available, controlled studies have failed to demonstrate the effectiveness of antifungal treatment. Discussions are however, hampered by a lack of objective data. The postulated pathomechanisms therefore need to be clarified, diagnostic criteria developed, and the efficacy of the proposed therapeutic measures shown by controlled studies. Until this has been done, assumption about the pathogenicity of yeasts in the bowel, cannot be taken as a basis for binding therapeutic recommendations.PMID: 8999002The alternative health community makes a ton of money off it all. What doesn't count is selling the speculation with NO PROOF to sufferers of IBS.Millions of IBSers have colonoscopies and no candida overgrowth. If you have IBS its important to treat IBS and getting side tract on something that doesn't exist or there is no proof it exists is a problem to someone getting the actual treatments they need.Killing the bacteria and flora in the gut is also not a good idea in IBS.once more"Evidence, claims and counterclaimsThere are only two types of therapies for disease; those that have been proven to be effective, and those that are unproven. The plural of anecdote or testimonial is not good clinical evidence. "Those sites are based on testimonials, not science.

#12 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,983 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:39 PM

By the way the leading cause of Misdiagnoses and is self diagnoses and this "condition" is a self diagnoses. In IBS now they are looking at the entire colon down to the moleular cell structures and no over growth of candida in millions of IBSers. They are extensively looking at gut flora in IBS and no over growth of candida?

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here