#1 Patman75

Patman75

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:31 AM

Advertisement
Is anyone using refrigerated probiotics? I had heard that they contain live cultures. Does that matter? Anyone use them? Any feedback good, bad or whatever is greatly appreciated.Thanks!!
Diagnosed with UC November 2004, I felt aweful until until I started seeing a Nutritionist (CCN or DACBN) in Febuary 2008. Candida diet + supplements followed by a no processed foods diet without my triggers + supplements.
Take charge of your health. Find a support group, read books, change your diet, see a nutritionist
My Progress http://www.ibsgroup....showtopic=94551

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,890 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:16 PM

Both the refrigerated and the non-refrigerated probiotics are supposed to contain live bacteria (assuming the people making the probiotic are doing it right).I think the processing, and perhaps the strain, determine if the probiotic is heat stable enough to be out of the refrigerator.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 IBD/IBS Author

IBD/IBS Author

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:30 PM

I have always been told by GIs, nutritionists, DOs that the best probiotics are ones that need to be refrigerated - reason being that live cultures are the most productive in our guts and if the culture dies off - sitting on a shelf in the heat - then you're wasting your $$ and not getting the full benefit. Also, you want to look for probiotcs with a mixture of lactobacillus, acidophillus, and bifidus with AT LEAST 1 billion units of each.

#4 IBD/IBS Author

IBD/IBS Author

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:33 PM

P.S. For me, the best probiotics I've found are UltraFlora (rather expensive but has around 15 billion active organisms; and, Multidophilus by Solaray with around 4 billion. I found that when my D was active the UltraFlora really helped, and now that things are under control the Multidophilus is more than enough to keep things on track (anymore and I can actually get C).I have always bought these in health food stores, or Whole Foods should have them.

#5 Patman75

Patman75

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:03 PM

Thankyou Kathleen & Elizabeth
Diagnosed with UC November 2004, I felt aweful until until I started seeing a Nutritionist (CCN or DACBN) in Febuary 2008. Candida diet + supplements followed by a no processed foods diet without my triggers + supplements.
Take charge of your health. Find a support group, read books, change your diet, see a nutritionist
My Progress http://www.ibsgroup....showtopic=94551

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here