3 replies to this topic

#1 Ibby

Ibby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:22 AM

Advertisement
I was reading the post about chlorophyll & constipation. Anyone had any experience with this? I'm so afraid of taking something that will cause cramps since I pass out . I'm thinking if eating green foods cause cramps wouldn't taking a supplement containing them. It seems such a simple remedy for C. What do you think? thanks.

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,394 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:00 AM

I've never noticed much change in stool consistency from chlorophyll when I've taken it. (for odor control)Not sure you can automatically assume that if a whole plant causes something that one single compound extracted out of the whole plant will have the same effect. Now preparation would effect this. A freeze dried whole plant that is ground up may be different than something extracted as a single compound. Some of the other things in some dark green veggies (like broccoli) are known to cause gas which may increase cramping all by itself. http://www.drugs.com...hlorophyll.html does list diarrhea and stomach cramps as a side effect. I'm not sure if you would get the cramps directly, or because you tend to get cramps when you have diarrhea anyway. No idea how much you'd have to take to loosen up the stools.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 Ibby

Ibby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:29 PM

I read that the alfalfa seed can causes Lupus like symptoms in some people. I wouldn't think the seed would be used but who knows. I also found that NOW has an organic alfalfa leaf which has a lot of chlorophyll. I may try that. Everything has a negative. Thanks for reply.

#4 goofygutgal

goofygutgal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:38 PM

Chlorophyll did not agree with me and I lean toward IBS C. It actually produced quite a bit of gas without much "solids" and the solids that did make an appearance were very dark in color. I thought it a waste of money.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here