4 replies to this topic

#1 onedayatatime

onedayatatime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:55 AM

Advertisement
iget pain that feels like trapped air in the left part of my chest and sometimes into my shoulder,i get scared that its my heart,but stress test was normal,i have hiatal hernia,gerd,ibs-c,does anyone else get these pains?what works for you?oh yah also bloat very bad

Advertisement

#2 NancyCat

NancyCat

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:51 AM

Yes, I often get the same pain in the same area. I also have a hiatal hernia but I dont think its connected to this pain. I believe I read (forget where) that "non cardiac chest pain" is a symptom of IBS. Its good that you had your heart checked out just to be on the safe side. My heart is fine too.I lie down on my left side with my head a bit elevated and rub my lower back. This, for me @ least helps to get the gas moving. I can feel it move. I dont know why when air is put into your abdomen, either by a test or your own gas, that you feel the pain on the left side, sometimes its in my shoulder/arm (feels like it anyway), I've asked dr's, no one can give me the answer, except that for some reason it goes to the left. I think maybe since the left side of your chest is where your heart is that maybe there isnt enough room in there for all the gas so we/you feel pain more there.I'm pretty sure that you cant feel it when your heart "hurts" rather you feel the pain/pressure on surrounding structures. Sometimes I can be feeling fine and all of a sudden a "bubble" pushes up in my chest, either stays there (get a squeezing pain then) or it moves up, w/a feeling of pressure/everything coming up towards my throat.Also I notice this more when I am C, and it sort of makes sense. Pushing to try to go probably pushes the gas up and I'm pretty sure that the bacteria in poop causes gas so if you are C it would make sense to feel it/have more gas then.I take 10mg of pepcid about an hour before I have dinner, I dont think it helps with gas but it does help (me) in keeping things down (position) My gastro suggested I try zantac as she says its stronger, but so far the pepcid is working well at once a day/dose. (normal dose is 2x day) Hope this helps :(
Nancy

#3 Layk2001

Layk2001

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:54 PM

Hi guys,I have just read your posts and had to reply. I too get sharp like twinges in my chest and my shoulder blades. They are more like twinges in my shoulder blades and sharp like twinges in my chest now and again.I was freaked out i was havng a heartattack at 31. I went to my doctor and he checked my pulse, listened to my heart etc but didn't seem to be too concerned.I only get this now and again. I have a stomach virus at the moment and am getting shoulder twinges.I did read though that shoulder pain can be gall bladder too but i get it on and off not necessarily when i eat fatty foods like they say.

#4 onedayatatime

onedayatatime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:08 PM

yes i did have my gallbladder checked and its fine,heart is fine doc says its trapped air but even though i know this it still scares me,wish i could make it stop

#5 Cherrie

Cherrie

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:19 PM

Hi if you've had your heart checked and it's okay, then it's very unlikely to be your gallbladder -- gallbladder pains are mostly on the right (both front and back). Have you had your pancreas checked (just to stay on the safe side)? I've never had GERD with back pain -- it is very rare, but I did hear some cases of back pain with GERD. Sometimes gas can cause back pain, too, if everything else checked OK.Hope you get some relief soon.
Let your love flow outward through the universe, to its height, its depth, its broad extent - a limitless love, without hatred or enmity. Then as you stand or walk, sit or lie down, as long as you are awake, strive for this with a one-pointed mind; Your life will bring heaven to earth. -- Sutta Nipata

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here