22 replies to this topic

#1 PrincesMommy

PrincesMommy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:29 PM

Advertisement
I know that with IBS you are supposed to feel better after a bm... but I have a sensitive spot in my upper right abdomen that feels painful from time to time and lately if I am constipated even after I have a bm, I will feel a pain there... nothing hugely painful but I can feel something, like it is sensitive...Does it mean that it is NOT IBS if I have pain after bm? It usually last for a couple of minutes and stop....

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,857 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:38 PM

IBS can cause pain anytime, anywhere in the abdomen.Some things are more common, others less.For about 70% of IBSers they have a hypersensitive rectum and the pain from that goes away when it empties. Not much else can cause that pain that goes away after a BM thing so if you have that then it is really likely you have IBS. But you don't have to have this pattern to have IBS. That is why it isn't the only symptom in the criteria and it isn't required to get a diagnosis of IBS.That doesn't mean other parts of the colon can't be painful even right after a BM, but any pain you have when the rectum is filled goes away when it empties.Even in normal people you can fill the rectum enough to cause pain and that goes away once it empties. In IBSers with rectal hypersensitivity the amount of filling that should be OK ends up feeling painful.I know of no specific disease that only causes pain after a BM but no other time. IBS can cause pain at any time.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 rjc

rjc

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:12 PM

I have pain after a BM too...was thinking I was the only one.

#4 Ohiomomof2

Ohiomomof2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:00 PM

Count me in as well. Sometimes the pain is defined to one or two spots and it is like a twinge, other times my whole gut just feels "sore", like something was scraped along it. Sometimes it goes away quickly, and other times it continues on and off like that all day. The amitriptyline I am on seems to dull it somewhat, but I can still feel it. I may need to up my dose or switch to something else.

#5 rjc

rjc

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:39 PM

Do you have IBS D or C?My pain is in the lower center stomach area amd I don't know if it's spasms or cramps but I feel pretty good before and sometimes really bad after and for up to 12 hours on abdominal pain on bad days....wish I knew exactly what was going on and how to prevent this nasty symptom.

#6 leilanilea

leilanilea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

Hello, I signed in to try and get some feedback on severe diffuse cramping pain after relatively non-painful bowel movements. When first diagosed with IBS about 20 years ago, I did have relief of pain after movements. However, that changed as I became older. Yes, my doctor is aware, and I'm also an RN so understand the possible significance of changes. The pain often radiates to my mid and/or lower back, and can last for hours. BTW, I've tried to change font size, but doesn't work -- just get formatting marks -- will the changes take effect when I send my comment? Thanks

#7 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,228 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:19 PM

leilanilea Welcome :(Do you still have your Gall bladder and/or has your Dr ruled that out as the source of this pain?
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#8 leilanilea

leilanilea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:21 PM

Hi, without going into your diagnosis, I would like to add some information in case you might not know. The large bowel travels up the right side of the abdomen (ascending colon), turns and runs across the top of the abdomen (transverse bowel) and then travels down the left side (descending colon) to the rectum. It is common to have pain in either of the areas where the bowel makes its turn, as gas can easily become trapped in those areas (right or left upper quadrants under the ribs,), and this might be what you are feeling. It can be extremely painful, and often gallbladder problems are considered, due to the right upper quadrant pain. I don't want to diagnose your condition, but hope this is helpful. (This assumes we're addressing your right and left as you face forward, not the viewpoint of someone looking at you. :-))

#9 leilanilea

leilanilea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:24 PM

Yes, but thanks for your question -- you might look at my post below about right and left upper quadrant pain.

#10 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,228 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:46 PM

So I don't know what you mean by this:

Hi, without going into your diagnosis, (Whose diagnosis are you talking about here?) I would like to add some information in case you might not know. The large bowel travels up the right side of the abdomen (ascending colon), turns and runs across the top of the abdomen (transverse bowel) and then travels down the left side (descending colon) to the rectum. It is common to have pain in either of the areas where the bowel makes its turn, as gas can easily become trapped in those areas (right or left upper quadrants under the ribs,), and this might be what you are feeling. It can be extremely painful, and often gallbladder problems are considered, due to the right upper quadrant pain. I don't want to diagnose your condition, but hope this is helpful. (This assumes we're addressing your right and left as you face forward, not the viewpoint of someone looking at you. :-))

Who are you talking to here.. sorry but I am confused. lol (Just so you know... I do know about anatomy and am familiar with the colon etc but thanks.)I thought YOU were asking about this:

Hello, I signed in to try and get some feedback on severe diffuse cramping pain after relatively non-painful bowel movements. When first diagosed with IBS about 20 years ago, I did have relief of pain after movements. However, that changed as I became older. Yes, my doctor is aware, and I'm also an RN so understand the possible significance of changes. The pain often radiates to my mid and/or lower back, and can last for hours.

You are not asking...????And then next you are trying not to go into Whose diagnosis??? Sorry .. either its been a longer week than I thought or I have lost my mind completely. lol Can ya clear up what you are actually asking about?? And then maybe I can offer ya an idea or two...??
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#11 leilanilea

leilanilea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:31 PM

sorry, trying to post to RG or RJ! I obviously don't have the hang of where to enter my comments and such yet -- sorry for confusion, and sure hope this is the right entry to reach BG

#12 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,228 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:33 AM

Wait if it is rjc you have done it right. So no worries! You don't HAVE a question then am I right??? LOLo-m-lawd... am I thick-headed or what tonight??? LOL Well hope you enjoyed at least a chuckle at my befuddledness..... :(YOU have the hang of things... I don't....not tonight anyway. LOL

#13 Ralph9898

Ralph9898

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:20 PM

My lower left side abdominal pain is usually more noticeable after a bowel movement. Bowel movement generally does not alleviate my pain. My pain seems random--no real pattern I can figure out.

#14 aaronw

aaronw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:18 PM

I get a bit sore after a BM too nothing to worry about but drink a lot of water?? if your BM is hard to pass?

#15 CloudStrife

CloudStrife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:23 PM

Just curious, have any of you been diagnosed with diverticular disease? I was, and I also have the same problem. I feel the tender area when it cramps. Personally, I think it's the diverticula. I'm not sure about treatment, but I would like to know.

#16 hasenfuss

hasenfuss

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:24 PM

I felt good 2 days ago with just one normal bm . Yesterday I had 4 normal looking bm's but the frequency bothers my colon even when the stool looks normal. It's a different kind of ache from diarrhia pain. It feel almost like a muscle ache in my bowl because I used it so much for pooping. Maybe it's the kind of pain you have after a b.m ? That's my kind of "after" bm pain.

#17 Jaimee

Jaimee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:23 PM

Count me in as well. Sometimes the pain is defined to one or two spots and it is like a twinge, other times my whole gut just feels "sore", like something was scraped along it. Sometimes it goes away quickly, and other times it continues on and off like that all day. The amitriptyline I am on seems to dull it somewhat, but I can still feel it. I may need to up my dose or switch to something else.

Sometimes ill be fine and ill just go to the bathroom and then 10 min later im in sooo much pain mostly on the left side it feels like someone punched it so many times.. i am taking anti spazzing pills but they also just dull the pain. I upped my dose and got horrible headaches. and still didnt feel better. im in pain right now and took tylenol seeing if it will kick in.
[[real.open.unique]]
[[peace.love.skullz]]

#18 mytummyhurtsGeez

mytummyhurtsGeez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:07 PM

I also have pain after a bm, never during. I don't have diarrhea or constipation on a normal basis. I should probably mention, in my adolescent years, I did have constipation and would wait for a week to have a bm. Since my pain, I have had a colonoscopy and a ct scan. It seems to be normal, but because of that, I have been thrown into the ibs category. I have pain for hours after a bm. It is in the lower part of my abdomen, about 3 inches under my bellybutton. It feels to me as though someone is pinching my innards with the tip of their nails. I am recently experiencing minor nausea as well.

#19 mwb

mwb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:16 PM

Hello, I signed in to try and get some feedback on severe diffuse cramping pain after relatively non-painful bowel movements. When first diagosed with IBS about 20 years ago, I did have relief of pain after movements. However, that changed as I became older. Yes, my doctor is aware, and I'm also an RN so understand the possible significance of changes. The pain often radiates to my mid and/or lower back, and can last for hours. BTW, I've tried to change font size, but doesn't work -- just get formatting marks -- will the changes take effect when I send my comment? Thanks

#20 mwb

mwb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:19 PM

I just joined the forum and saw this post--I wondered if you ever got any response to it--I often have pain in my stomach (not my lower intestines) after a bowel movement and then it often radiates to my mid and lower back as well. Did you ever find any answers to this? I haven't been formally diagnosed with IBS, but have a lot of abdominal pain--but no constipation or diarrhea-- and have had it ever since I got pregnant with my fourth child, nearly three years ago.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here