Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Gas/Bloating/Distension when I don't eat

40K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  trey_a 
#1 ·
Ok,One thing I am curious about....what causes gas when I don't eat? I understand food fermenting etc but I am not someone that gulps air, and it is not the food...its when I don't eat or my meal is several hours later than usual.I actually get a lot of gas and I get some distension because my pants get tighter etcany ideas? I'm wondering if it bile dumping into my intestine without any food present (as I don't have a gallbladder)Also, activated charcoal does dramatically reduce the gas. All i can think is the charcoal is absorbing something, either the gas itself or whatever causes it

#2 ·
Not sure what causes it but I have similar problems. I do have my gallbladder but it's basically non-functioning. I never had any issues with gas or bloating before developing gallbladder problems. Normally I eat within a couple hours of getting up but if I don't I will get very bloated and eating something actually relieves the distention! However if I eat too much (as much as a normal person would eat at one time) I will get more bloated and stay that way for hours. I'm still learning that I have to eat often and in small amounts. I'm not doing very good at that even though the alternative is to feel terrible all day. You'd think I would learn my lesson.
Sorry I can't be more help but maybe you can try to eat smaller amounts more often and see if that helps.

#5 ·
If anything my stool goes pale...so I am assuming that is an absence of bile...Doesnt make sense to me that when I eat a low fat diet, in small quantities, and only go to the loo once a day that things go so pale.Unless thats a sign of bacterial imbalance, cause the food should be in there long enough for the bile to stain it...24hrs on average should be heapsThe thing is it only is pale when I feel ill, when I feel good its a very normal poo brown
Im confused as to whetehr i should be trying bile supplements, probiotics, bile sequestrants or what?? The probiotics have helped a little...but 5 weeks later its a help...not a significant fix...All I know is all of this is relevant in someway and my body is telling me something....just cant work out what its actually asking for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.