18 replies to this topic

#1 trey_a

trey_a

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

Advertisement
Anyone else experience pain in your chest due to gas? I'm not 100% sure but I do not believe I have a heart condition as I am constantly belching and there is always belching when I experience the pain. A couple of weeks ago I drank some lemonade and instantly had sharp stabbing pains over my heart. I have bad anxiety/panic attacks so I was freaking out but then I started to belch a lot and had pretty bad reflux so I figured that was it. Then a few days later I had more gripping pain that lasted for 2 hours but when I took Gas-X I did burp some so again I figured it was gas related. Ever since I seem to have a mild chest discomfort. Not all the time or anything, and not necessarily right after eating. It can happen when I haven't eaten for hours. Even something as simple as a mint can cause it. I'm thinking it's the air I'm swallowing. I've had bad bloating problems and constant belching for a year now so I'm used to that but the chest pain is new. Anyone else?

Advertisement

#2 Belkys

Belkys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:02 PM

Hi, when my IBS is aggravated I burp all the time and very bloated. I also get very very short of breath and incredible pressure in my chest. One doctor told me I might have a heart problem. If that was the case why do I feel this way only when my IBS is acting up.Hope this helps.

#3 distressed

distressed

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:14 AM

If you are very bloated the gas can place pressure against your diaphragm making you feel breathless as it required more effort for your lungs to expand...dont worry...they still will.Gas anywhere can cause horrible pains of all types...one of the reasons that you can get terrible aches and pains post surgery is from gas accumulating at various points in your body from the anaesthesia. In an environment such as the digestive system where we can create gas...if this goes nuts...well can be the result and the stomach is directly under the lungs. Particularly if you are burping alot, that indicates raised quantities of gas in the stomach as opposed to the intestines.

#4 Lee

Lee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:14 AM

Yes Yes YesThis has been happening to me, exactly as you describe it. I went and had a heart stress test (on the treadmill) because the pain often spreads to my jaw and my teeth. However, my heart was fine.My gastroenterologist then prescribed a med for oesophageal spasm, called TAZAC. (However, my husband has taken this for acid reflux).It did seem to go away for awhile but has returned. I'm not sure whether my doctor thinks it is acid reflux but I believe it is gas.I also get it after drinking lemonade and it can start hours after food.I even get woken up in the middle of the night, in agony. I was in so much pain one night I nearly called an ambulance. The problem is the length of time it takes to go away.Lee

#5 painbgone

painbgone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:28 AM

My biggest problem is from gas. I have had horrible gas pains in the abdominal area since I was in my 20's (now in my 50's). I also get chest pains from gas and until I burp--it hurts. I do have a problem expelling gas (both upper and lower) and use Gas-X or Phazyme for aids.I have had numerous heart work-ups from a cardiologist--as I do have SVT (supra ventricular tachycardia)--however the cardio has checked me during the pain episodes and said it was from gas. I either swallow air when I eat, or upset (anxious) or from foods. Milk or ice cream gives me horrible gas. I have been experimenting with foods and keeping a list of the foods that give me gas pains.You are not alone with this problem!

#6 ta528

ta528

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:43 AM

One day last week I nearly called an ambulance. I had been awakened in the night with terrible pain in my esophagus. By 10 the next morning the pain was excruciating. I ate a piece of toast in hopes of alleviating the pain, but it just got worse. However, that is how I pinpointed the site of the pain because it was unmistakeable. Failing that, I could have sworn it was a heart attack.

#7 Gutsygal

Gutsygal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:07 PM

Hi there - since my mid-teens I too have had intermittent pain right under my heart. Originally, the family doctor at our HMO told me this was "an incarcerated fart" - and advised me not to drink soda or anything carbonated. About twenty years later my internist ordered an echocardiogram when I developed a loud heart murmur - and everything was fine. Since then (within the last eighteen months) I have had an EEG and a colonoscopy - everything was fine heart- and gut-wise. How similar my experience is to yours I can't say - we're all different of course. But I do know that gas can and does give me excruciating pain on occasion in all sorts of places.Hope you're feeling better soon...Take care, Lora

#8 u25db2

u25db2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:15 AM

I frequently get chest pains from gas and find it goes away after burping a lot. One morning I woke up with such bad chest pains I thought it had to be my heart but then I started burping and it went away again. It can be really painful though. I have had an ECG done in the past and it showed up completely normal.

#9 caputsky

caputsky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:57 PM

I, too, have been getting chest pains frequently which are a bit scary. However, since I suffer from GERD, I have just chalked it up to that. Plus, I know that were I to go to the hospital or doctor, that's what they would tell me. Ironically, the pains rarely ever are accompanied by heart burn. And I burp a TON. I have had that problem for at least 8 years, ever since I started being put on meds for my reflux. My roommates in college used to joke about my burps being "bi-tonal" because they would start at one octave and change to a different sound. Really weird, but it makes me laugh which sometimes can be helpful in terms of how I feel, hehe. Anyway, keep an eye on it and see if it changes or gets worse -- that's when you might want to go to the doctor.Julie

#10 celeste75701

celeste75701

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:00 PM

[[i]b]hi in answer to your question i have ibs i get gas so bad that it is in my chest and in my back and it hurts so much that i feel like its chest pain i have been checked for the pain by my doc and i was fine but,,, you need to be checked also dont ever ignore chest pain even if you think its gas go to ur doc and have it checked....[/b][/i] :(

#11 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:27 PM

It only happened to me once; but it was right around the time that a younger friend of mind had a heart attack, shortly after experiencing a similar pain. See your doctor. It is such a relief to find out you don't have angina that it is worth all of the doctoring you have to go through.Mark
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

#12 Brennas-Belly

Brennas-Belly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:57 AM

That used to happen to me years ago. I finally figured out that it was gas and stopped freaking out. I also figured out the gas was from chewing spearmint gum. I can tolerate peppermint, but not spearmint. I have found that laying on my left side will help get the gas out... if you know what I mean.Hope it gets better for you. :(

#13 baz22p

baz22p

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:49 AM

This all sounds soooo familiar - I suffer from chest pains (sometimes excrutiating and debilitating) and acid reflux. I mentioned this to my GP last week and he prescribed 'Omeprazole'. Since I have been taking them - an inhibitor of the production of stomach acid - I have been free of both problems The rest of my IBS is still there.Baz :(

#14 murli

murli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:49 AM

I have it in the morning , my abdomen feels liked jammed , after a long walk it goes away only to return in the evenings . I also experience some burning pain in the legs and heart . Recently I have had pain in arms ,legs , eyes because og gas . I am not able to identify foods which cause gas and bloating till date :(

#15 Eowyne

Eowyne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:12 PM

My chest pain got so bad that I actually did call the ambulance out. Did I feel like a real wally when they told me that the ECG proved my heart was healthier than most peoples and my oxygen levels were at 99% even though I'm a smoker (they were very sweet really but I felt like a right nonse!) I get really bad pains in my chest that are only alleviated by burping or flatulating. I get pains in my shoulders, my spine, my stomach and back due to wind. It worries me sometimes the pain in my chest, I get very breathless as wsell and I sometimes I worry about pulmanery embolisms and all sorts of things. It's hard to believe the IBS can cause such a diversity of problems. It's enough to turn a person into a hypochondriac...if it hasn't already :angry: I did have a result the other day however, I realised that drinking spirits directly affects most of my IBS symptoms and makes them ten times worse :D

#16 katiebabe

katiebabe

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:18 PM

i have had the terrible chest pains, i am nearly 100% they are due to trapped wind. When i went to the hosp the other week about it they put a heart monitor on me but said everything was fine. My heart rate is too fast though i know that. I also burp a lot at the minute with my unknown condition and sometimes can like palputations just after a meal when i am sat upright on a chair, ie tonight on the computer. weird. xx

#17 wildflowers2

wildflowers2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:05 AM

It happens to me too. I just take Gas -x b4 a meal and solves the problem.

#18 Kim69

Kim69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:38 PM

Yes I get a really sore chest too. I am fairly certain it's from gas. I had an ultrasound and the poor sonographer had trouble getting a good image oft gall bladder because of all the gas in the way.

#19 leisha

leisha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

I have IBS-C and had what I thought was gas pain (with belching) in my chest and upper left side of back when I inhaled. After taking Gas-X for a day or so with no relief, I went to the dr and found that my lungs were mildly inflamed after X-Ray (diagnosed with Pleurisy). I was given a steroid injection, a few days of Prednisone tablets, and a Z-pak...and VOILA...no more pain in chest and upper back when inhaling. Who knows what caused this, but I wanted to share.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here