15 replies to this topic

#1 john.walsh.made@gmail.com

john.walsh.made@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:34 AM

Advertisement
Hi everyone,It appears that I am a bit of a medical mystery. Basically, for the last year now I have had abdominal pain (lower right) practically every single morning. It usually starts at about 6/7am, and he pain is somewhere between sharp and dull. It is enough to wake me up and stop me getting back to sleep. When I get up out of bed, the pain gradually subsides over about an hour without a bowel movement, or is much more quickly eleviated by a bowel movement. I have been to a couple of doctors and had a colonoscopy, which was all ok. Generally the doctors have said "it might be some form of IBS" though they also say that i do not show other symptoms; I rarely have constipation or diarrhea. I have tried avoiding various types of food (wheat etc) caffine and alcohol, but these show no improvement.Does this sound like IBS to any sufferers out there??Thanks,John

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,863 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:58 AM

There is something called Chronic Functional Abdominal Pain which is pain like IBS when there is no change of stool consistency or frequency from before the pain started.Some doctors haven't caught on that there are about a dozen or so Functional Bowel Problems. Most of them end up being some part of the symptoms of IBS but not enough for the whole package.The pain is treated the same way you treat IBS pain so it doesn't really matter if they call it IBS or CFAP. An antispasmodic on waking might be helpful (or a time released one taken at bedtime). I'm not sure if it is severe enough or lasts long enough that you would want to take a low dose antidepressant. It really does sound like functional pain. That is the time of the day the colon "wakes up" and is at its most active. This is the normal daily rhythm of the colon. It is quiet during sleep then has a burst of activity around dawn (5-7 am). This is the most active your colon will be all day. There is also a burst of activity after meals but that lower level of activity doesn't seem to be enough to trigger symptoms. Usually the morning burst is about 3X the activity level during the night and after meals is about 2X more active than the middle of the night.That the pain goes away faster after a BM may mean you have a bit of rectal hypersensitivity so it tends to send pain signals at fill levels that should not be registering as pain. That is also a very typical thing with functional bowel problems.ETA: You seem to have the most problems with that morning burst, some people will tend to have after meal issues more than morning issues, it really depends on how things go bad from those normal internal signals. There can be other triggers for IBS/CFAP as well.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 john.walsh.made@gmail.com

john.walsh.made@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:38 AM

Thanks- I REALLY appreciate the time you took to respond. Will post any progress!

#4 Rich C

Rich C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:10 AM

I have similiar problems with the right side of the abdominal and also suffer with similiar pain after eating large meals and ejaculation. After doing the rounds of various consultants and tests, I'm currently seeing a physio who believes that central nervous system is basically in overdrive. I'm a very anxious and nervous person who finds it difficult to relax so she thinks that the nerves and muscles are remaining tense and tight thus making the IBS issue worse. I'm in the process of trying to learn to relax but with a stressful job this isn't easy and it's going to take a long time to crack this problem completely...Hope you get your problem sorted.

#5 Guest_n.c.heston_*

Guest_n.c.heston_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:12 AM

Hi John,I am a 32 year-old male and seem to have been going through the same type of pains as you. Nearly every morning for the past thirteen or fourteen months I have had abdominal pain. I would describe the pain as somewhat dull, but persistent strong enough to sometimes wake me up and keep me from sleeping. I almost never have stomach pain except for in the morning. It usually goes away after a few hours. It seems to improve with eating though I haven't noticed any relation to bowel movements like you noted.When it first began I thought maybe it was coffee drinking but I have found no correlation to that. I also tried to find a correlation between foods, but to no avail. After a oouple of months I went to a doctor and was tested for H. Pylori (ulcer causing bacteria). The test came back negative. I was given a time released anti-acid. (Omeprazole I think), which didn't really seem to help. It is now over a year since this started. I have since moved to Africa with the peace corps and the problems have continued. Two blood tests have always come back fine. Stool test found no abnormalities. Three months ago I was again put on Omeprazole and I thought(or maybe imagined) it was helping, but after 6 weeks the pain was still with me. Two months ago I was again tested for H. Pylori (H. Pylori can be naturally present) and the test came back positive. I was put on a two week course of antibiotics(ammoxicillin and metronidazole or something). Finished the antibiotics and no change. A week passed in which I remained on the Omeprazole, but was finished with the antibiotics. I returned to the doctor two weeks ago and was given a different 14 day antibiotic regimen and the omeprazole was switched to a different anti-acid. I am now finishing this course of antibiotics and there has been no change in my recurring abdominal pain. The antibiotics seemed to have had no effects. The antiacids also don't seem to do anything either. The pain is always there in the morning waking me up and keeping me from sleeping. It doesn't seem to matter if I don't eat at all in the evening or have a huge meal late at night. I am kind of lost as to what to do and my options for testing here in Africa are quite limited. Can you give me an update on what your case has turned up John?Thanks,Nathan

#6 Becky0000

Becky0000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:34 AM

Hi. My pain is also lower right and mostly mornings too. Mine comes and goes and has been that way for over 30 years! I've had years where there was nothing and then it comes back sometimes lasting for several months. I haven't been able to put it down to any one type of food but I know when I'm stressed it always comes.I'm quite an anxious person by nature and when I have a bout of this pain it causes more anxiety, this in turn aggravates the condition. I haven't found anything that actually helps except to relax! Easier said than done I know. The doctor gave me mild tranquilisers and they definitely helped but I don't like to take them unless I'm staying home for the day so I usually just get on with work and try to live with it. I don't have anything else like diarhea or constipation, just this dull ache.All the doctors I've been to through the years have said Spastic Colon or IBS and put it down to anxiety.

#7 Sorbsy

Sorbsy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:28 PM

Hmm....the pain you all describe is extremely similar to mine, but I have never had it wake me up. Even if colonoscopies are clean now, it might be worth repeating if it doesn't change in the future.My pain comes and goes very randomly. It hurts more in the morning if I ate before bed, and definitely can hurt more before a bowel movement. It's never just in the mornings, though, and even though it's headquarters seem to be in my right lower quadrant adjacent to my terminal ileum, it can move around in my colon.I've been told by four separate doctors now that they're not inclined to be terribly worried in the absence of blood, anorexia, and other "red flags," unless the pain wakes me up. I can see their point, because the pain really only starts when my guts do. Pain and a feeling of "emergency BM" is a mainstay for me in the mornings, but again, it has never woken me up. Only one bout of bacterial colitis and a couple viruses have ever done that.
"As a doctor I should be able to tell you what causes diarrhea. However, viewer, it is one of the greatest mysteries in the scientific world." - Dr. Steve Brule

Proud member of The "Mitral Valve Prolapse Dysautonomia" With Dysfunctioning Thyroid club; presently hosting a wonky GI tract, malfunctioning endocrine system, factor V Leiden thrombophilia, and morbid humour.

#8 Eowyne

Eowyne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:26 AM

I have irratable bladder syndrome as well as IBS (brought on and irritated by IBS) This causes me to wake up in extreme pain because my bladder thinks its over full or with no feeling in my bladder at all. This causes a lot of pain and flatulance in the morning and I have had this for at least two years now. I doubt this is your problem but just to let you know it can happen. X x

#9 jacques125

jacques125

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

Complicated subject for sure. I've had morning abdominal pain for over 25 years with the following symptoms:
  • Yes, I've been diagnosed with IBS and have had symptoms most of my life
  • I have a history of anxiety disorder however, I am much better since retiring and do not take medication for it
  • I eat just about anything including spicy foods. I'd rather put up with IBS symptoms than give up on certain foods since enjoying eating is such a big part of life.
  • I have dull pain every morning usually taking about an hour to regain normal comfort level which for me is always a slight dull ache throughout the lower abdominal area
  • Pain usually starts around 4am to 5am and is always prevalent when I wake up in the morning.
  • Built up air and gas usually leads to episodes of burping and less likely flatulence which reduces upper/lower abdominal pressure and therefore increases comfort level.
  • Pain level decreases after bowel movement which for me is usually 1-2 hours after I wake up
  • I rarely if ever have these symptoms when taking a nap in the afternoon
  • I am one of those people who do not get thirsty very often and do not perspire hardly ever (never have used deodorant)
  • I've had all the tests including lower and upper GI, colonoscopies, etc. always finding no problem
  • My type of IBS at this stage of my life is primarily the diahrria type (rarely feel constipated). However, my bowel movements can be normal or loose with slight diarrhea every other day or so. Diahrria seldom lingers for days on end.
  • I am however susceptible to irregularity when traveling with severe abdominal issues staying overnight at high altitude destinations
A couple of suggestions that have helped me over the years:
  • Try drinking a glass of water before going to sleep at night
  • Try eating more fibrous food, especially at nightime (popcorn for example)
  • Take as few medications as possible (I even found that daily aspirin made problems much worse over time)
  • Try walking a bit before going to sleep at night
Good luck my IBS friends. Chronic Functional Abdominal Pain is a chronic condition that we will live with all our lives so chin up and let's learn as much as we can about this debilitating problem since medical science can only guess how to address it.

#10 blueludo

blueludo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:20 AM

Hi. I'm really glad to have found this forum because you're describing very similar symptoms to the ones I have had for the past couple of months. Most mornings around 5.30-6am I am woken with a dull ache on the lower right side of my stomach and lower back. The pain isn't severe but it's bad enough to stop me going to sleep and make me worry about having all sorts of conditions which I've been reading about on the net, including prostatitis and kidney disease, although I don't think I have these problems as I don't seem to have a swollen prostate, sharp pains or difficulty urinating etc. No problems in terms of the consistency of my bowel movements either.The pain passes after an hour of getting up and walking around the house. It passes more quickly if I'm able to take a ######, but often I find I don't need to. Sometimes I'm quite gassy in the mornings too. Anyway, the long and the short of it is that I think this is more due to a psychological problem than anything intestinal. The Greek word for mouth is 'stoma', hence stomach, and I really think that my stomach is speaking to me. For a long time I've had problems with depression and anxiety, for which I'm in regular therapy, but these pains have only come on after a particularly difficult time. I hope if my mood improves that they will clear up. I'll keep you posted.Thanks again for posting your experiences, which have reassured me.Jblueludo@hotmail.com

#11 blueludo

blueludo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:22 AM

Kind of weird that the s word just got edited out of my post on a forum for talking about intestinal problems ...

#12 Kartz

Kartz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

Hi, I am 26 year old Male and currently a student. I have had the stomach problem ever since I was 16 and around 10 years, 'the' stomach ache in the morning devil has been visiting me many times. I have gone to several doctors, done several tests over the years. Tests come negative most of the times, sometimes showing gastritis. A doctor even said that I am just hypochondriac and nothing is wrong with my system. I wouldnt know what to do and what to say about that! But I noted that just grieving over it doesnt help. Getting up in the morning with a biting pain is just a condition which occured in my system due to some reasons. Currently I take the Omeprazole which solves the problem most of the times whenever it occurs. As jacques125 mentioned, I too take medicines only when it is really necessary.

I saw this page and wish to share it in case it is helpful for any of you. It sure fits very well for my case:

http://www.wikihow.c...ng-Stomach-Ache

I think the problem was mostly to do with my irregular lifestyle and eating habits.

Complicated subject for sure. I've had morning abdominal pain for over 25 years with the following symptoms:

• Yes, I've been diagnosed with IBS and have had symptoms most of my life
  • I have a history of anxiety disorder however, I am much better since retiring and do not take medication for it
  • I eat just about anything including spicy foods. I'd rather put up with IBS symptoms than give up on certain foods since enjoying eating is such a big part of life.
  • I have dull pain every morning usually taking about an hour to regain normal comfort level which for me is always a slight dull ache throughout the lower abdominal area
  • Pain usually starts around 4am to 5am and is always prevalent when I wake up in the morning.
  • Built up air and gas usually leads to episodes of burping and less likely flatulence which reduces upper/lower abdominal pressure and therefore increases comfort level.
  • Pain level decreases after bowel movement which for me is usually 1-2 hours after I wake up
  • I rarely if ever have these symptoms when taking a nap in the afternoon
  • I am one of those people who do not get thirsty very often and do not perspire hardly ever (never have used deodorant)
  • I've had all the tests including lower and upper GI, colonoscopies, etc. always finding no problem
  • My type of IBS at this stage of my life is primarily the diahrria type (rarely feel constipated). However, my bowel movements can be normal or loose with slight diarrhea every other day or so. Diahrria seldom lingers for days on end.
  • I am however susceptible to irregularity when traveling with severe abdominal issues staying overnight at high altitude destinations
A couple of suggestions that have helped me over the years:
  • Try drinking a glass of water before going to sleep at night
  • Try eating more fibrous food, especially at nightime (popcorn for example)
  • Take as few medications as possible (I even found that daily aspirin made problems much worse over time)
  • Try walking a bit before going to sleep at night
Good luck my IBS friends. Chronic Functional Abdominal Pain is a chronic condition that we will live with all our lives so chin up and let's learn as much as we can about this debilitating problem since medical science can only guess how to address it.

#13 DbabyWallace

DbabyWallace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

Hi, I am 26 year old Male and currently a student. I have had the stomach problem ever since I was 16 and around 10 years, 'the' stomach ache in the morning devil has been visiting me many times. I have gone to several doctors, done several tests over the years. Tests come negative most of the times, sometimes showing gastritis. A doctor even said that I am just hypochondriac and nothing is wrong with my system. I wouldnt know what to do and what to say about that! But I noted that just grieving over it doesnt help. Getting up in the morning with a biting pain is just a condition which occured in my system due to some reasons. Currently I take the Omeprazole which solves the problem most of the times whenever it occurs. As jacques125 mentioned, I too take medicines only when it is really necessary.

I saw this page and wish to share it in case it is helpful for any of you. It sure fits very well for my case:

http://www.wikihow.c...ng-Stomach-Ache

I think the problem was mostly to do with my irregular lifestyle and eating habits.

Kartz, I feel you. I've been to SO many doctors and many of them fail to take me seriously. I'm a sophmore Nursing student and the schedule is literally wreaking HAVOC on my body. My IBS symptoms have left me feeling disabled throughout the day with the pain. It's hard to do school or anything at this rate. I'm pushing through, I admire your endurance. Having this for 10 years? ... You are a strong individual. I appreciate you mentioning the Omeprazole. I will have to research this medication and see if it might help with my IBS. Do you suffer from bloating or abdominal distention? I wonder if Omeprazole would help with the bloating?? 

#14 jsorel

jsorel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:24 PM

Hi,
I have been suffering from abdominal cramps that start when i wake up early in the morning and lasts about forty five minutes. The symptoms are exactly the same as you have described in the [post. have tried several prescription and alternative forms of medication.

The other day a friend gave me a tablet of SPASFON-LYON to try for the next time that I get the pain. I looked online and discovered that the active ingredient in this tablet is PHLOROGLUCINOL an antispasmodic, which is probably what we all need to take as soon as we begin feeling the first signs of cramping.

This morning i woke up with the usual unbearable cramps and I swallowed this SPASFON - LYON. I was surprised that it took effect in less than ten minutes. Although it did not stop the occasional diarrohea that came with it, I was spared the crippling spasms.

I hope this helps. This medication was purchased by a friend from France but I am sure you can get the same elsewhere perhaps under a different name.

NAME: SPASFON-LYON 80MG
ACTIVE INGREDIENT: PHLOROGLUCINOL (ANTISPASMODIC)

I really hope that all of you find a solution and put an end to your discomfort. I for one understand what you go through after having gone through it myself for almost ten years.

If you have any additional questions you can email me on sonam-d@graffiti.net

J. Sorel

#15 TracyM

TracyM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:37 AM

Hi everyone,

I know this is an old post, but I've been suffering from the exact same symptoms for several months now. I am a 31 year old male. After I've been asleep for several hours, I get a dull (but fairly strong) pain in my lower right abdomen. Some days it is so bad that I wake up my wife with my groaning (while I am half asleep). It usually goes away within minutes after I get up and start walking around. I also noticed that the pain is stronger, and I am more likely to feel it, if I have been laying either on my back or on my right side. If I sleep completely on my left side, I rarely feel it.

After doing some research online, I feel fairly confident that this pain is due to a problem with the ileocecal valve (a.k.a. ileocecal junction). The ileocecal valve is located between the small intestine and the large intestine in the lower right abdomen. It is suppose to open briefly to allow waste to pass from the small intestine and into the large intestine. If the valve is malfunctioning and stays open for too long, materials in this section can mix and cause gas, or difference in the pH levels between the two sections can cause discomfort to the nerves or tissue.

Most of the information I have read on this subject I read at http://digestiveawar...enting-backflow. I'm assuming this site is run by a chiropractor, as it claims that a chiropractor is best suited to handle problems with the ileocecal valve.

I do not yet know the cure or treatment for this, but I will post a comment as soon as I can find out exactly how to get rid of this annoying (and worrisome) pain.

#16 Lisalpharmd

Lisalpharmd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

I am a 33 year old female who has experienced a similar pain at different periods through my life since age 13. I've had it consistently for the past almost 10 years. Every single morning I wake up to abdominal pain on the right side, about even with my navel. Oftentimes, it's bad enough to wake me up. It's a dull ache but painful enough to keep me up. It is alleviated by standing and walking around. If I sort of push out my stomach, there is one quick, sharp pain, and then it starts to feel better. The pain goes away eve more quickly if I have a bowel movement

Tracey, I too, came up with the same conclusion about the ileocecal valve, which is very coincidental. Please keep me posted if you hear anything

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here