16 replies to this topic

#1 tummyA

tummyA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:25 PM

Advertisement
Does anyone else have the problem of gas occurring in the afternoon and evenings. For me I could have minimal gas throughout the day and then as soon as I eat dinner it all starts moving around and bothering me. I mean at night it is excessive. Usually when I go to bed I am gassy and then into the morning. However after a BM (if i completely go) in the mornings I feel pretty good for a little while. Why does this happen and any way to make it not happen? I have to say Gas and bloating are the worst part of IBS. Gas is so embarrassing!

Advertisement

#2 arym

arym

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:42 AM

HiHope we might help each other- I was up at 1am- so gassy- and the same - not so gassy during the day- I have more veggies )+(steamed of course at night)- and then i wonder about having some decaf and cherries and a half a plainshortbread cookie. Maybe the latter so called dessert( which was very tiny portion- did it- what can you do - cut out all veggies- I think that would help me- but not too healthy.

#3 Cherrie

Cherrie

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:15 AM

Hi that seems to be pertty prevelant for IBSers... me too find myself gassy in the evening...
Let your love flow outward through the universe, to its height, its depth, its broad extent - a limitless love, without hatred or enmity. Then as you stand or walk, sit or lie down, as long as you are awake, strive for this with a one-pointed mind; Your life will bring heaven to earth. -- Sutta Nipata

#4 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,389 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:48 AM

It takes several hours for the breakfast and lunch you ate to get to the colon.Gas is made when the bacteria in the colon work on the parts of the food that is indigestible by humans. Most bacteria make gas. Probiotics do not. I have greatly reduced my evening fart frequency by using them.Anyway back to the gas story.After meals, especially larger ones like dinner, you get a move things along signal. The gas made from breakfast or lunch now has the movement it needs to get to the end. It seems to move faster and more easily than the stool it was made from.Now it is normal to fart an average of 14 times a day, so you may not really be farting any more than a normal person, but with IBS it often is more uncomfortable than it should be.Reducing what you feed the bacteria (so limiting starches) and taking probiotics which don't release gas when they digest starches can help reduce gas levels to below normal.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#5 Kaizen42

Kaizen42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:51 PM

The reason you are getting gas in the evenings is because the bacteria in your gut produces gas as part of its digestive process. It is happily eating the food you have served up and equally happily merrily farting away thus causing you to bloat out and be "gassy".To reduce gas and all the other symptoms associated to your discomfort, you have to get rid of the bacteria that is causing the problem. And that of course is the problem...isolating what is causing the problem.As a Clinical Homeopath I can assure you that this problem does have an answer and would urge you to track down a Clinical Homeopath near you to help.Greg

#6 Volleyball Girl

Volleyball Girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:30 PM

Hi,I can completely relate to your story for since july ive been more prone to constipation, often causing gas. Its completely normal to have an excess of gas, depending on what you eat (try to avoid brocolli and all other gassy foods). It happens more after dinner because yous digestive system is prossessing all the food you ate during the day. You shouldnt worry too much about it, unless you have too much gas and trust me youll know when you do (ive learned through pain to try to control my gas levels with natural products). If your gas gets to be a problem, id suggest seeing an acupuncturist, and youll see ,that if you get a good acupuncturist, that they can work miracles.(its saved me on a number of times from excrutiating pain.... i dont visit emergency much anymore because she takes me when the pain is intollerable :( I hope this helped a bit!!!!Melissa

#7 IanRamsay

IanRamsay

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:21 PM

GREGWould it not be easier to simply say "Try taking a pro biotic supplement in the mornings, before food on an empty stomach" instead of not helping at all and saying things that may confuse and confound?CheersIan
Emetophobic since 1987, IBS A (More C) since 1990, Chronic GERD + Chronic Gastritis since 1987. When people say it cant get any worse, i say at least you are still breathing! Keep the faith. Currently in remission thanks to specific strain probiotics and 12 years of probiotic reaserch.

#8 helpneeded

helpneeded

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:43 PM

I have exactly the same problem and it's driving me to despair. I also know that I'm intolerant to milk and eggs and this exacerbates the problem. Before I was diagnosed with these intolerances I had no problem with gas even though I've had ibs for 10+ years, so I'm convinced it's not JUST ibs. It's so confusing there's so many mixed messages out there. Would really love to find something that actually works - any help much appreciated!Cheers

#9 JenniferNS

JenniferNS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:50 PM

When you talk about being gassy in the evening, are you only talking about farting?I haven't actually been diagnosed with IBS, but seem to be suffering from some of the symptoms.I tend to be fairly comfortable during the day, but by evening time I feel a little bloated - only I tend to burp not fart.Do any of you have that?Jennifer

#10 arym

arym

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:05 PM

No- I get stomache discomfort- gassy feeling- and pass gas-it happens mainly after I have had any vegetables( even one that aren't brocollai-or cabbage family-(the worst offenders)

#11 Lookin'foraLife

Lookin'foraLife

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

When I lie down before sleep the trouble begins and my stomach starts making LOUD digesting noises endlessly!Why working so hard to digest and why only when I lie down?!

#12 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,389 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:12 PM

It may be like a lot of other body things.You hear it or feel it more when you lie down because you have not much else for the mind to focus on.The GI tract makes noise all day long every day of your life. It is much easier to hear when all is quiet and you haven't anything else to pay attention to. (this is also why itching and pain usually get worse when you go to bed).Your brain may take in all information all the time but everyone's mind filters down the deluge of information to the few things we care about. So if you are also telling your brain to listen for the noise when you lie down because you have some emotion about it (dread, fear, curiosity, etc) you will be on the look out for it as your brain wants to give your mind the information it is asking for.You might get a white noise machine or a CD of nature sounds that is soothing so you have something else to listen to.The amount of noise really has nothing to do with how hard it has to work to digest. Most of the noise is from the colon and your colon has the stuff left over from all the digestion. It isn't doing any of the digesting.Noise will depend some on gas/liquid/solid amounts and activity level of the colon, but something like lying down may help you hear it. I know it does in a bathtub because the noise uses the tub to travel, it might be doing the same thing with the mattress.The only medically relevant noise the colon makes is when there is no noise at all. That means an obstruction bad enough that it likely is a medical emergency and you need them to go in and clear out the blockage right away. Noise mean all is working and moving and that really is a good thing, not a bad thing.
Ph.D in Biology

#13 Lookin'foraLife

Lookin'foraLife

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:49 PM

I don't think that's all there is to it, because when I lie down the pain usually hits as well, many times times even awakening me during sleep. This seems to be consistent. Any ideas?This illness is such a mystery to me!

#14 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,389 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:16 PM

A lot of IBSers have pain in the night, it isn't just you. Heck even people with no GI problems sometimes have abdominal pain at night while laying down.I can't recall, do you have any GERD issues? Those are worse when you lay down because it is easeir for the stomach contents to reflux in that position. I'm sure that position effects other things as well.
Ph.D in Biology

#15 arym

arym

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:33 AM

I sometimes am awakened by gas and farting in the middle of nite. Always thouht it was from what I ate- like last night had avacado- and I wondered if that was it- cause everything else was the same- chicken rice cooked zuciini

#16 tummyA

tummyA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:44 PM

Kind of thought this was a funny story/interesting. My best friend, who does not have IBS at all, was telling me how the other night she farted in front of her new boyfriend in the middle of the night. She didn't think he heard cause he was asleep, but she didn't really know. But see, even those without IBS have some gas at night too! I just think I still have more than the usual.

#17 seattlegirl

seattlegirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:40 AM

Lookin'foralife, I can completely relate to your issue of lying down and suddenly having a loud, overactive, uncomfortable stomach. It's not just louder because the room is quiet - I can feel my insides churning. It's not painful, but extremely bothersome, and most times I end up bloated and gassy. This can go on for an hour or more. Doctors have not been able to help me, and it doesn't seem to matter when/what I eat near bedtime, though it's definitely worse if I eat something bad right before bed.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here