12 replies to this topic

#1 bumpkin

bumpkin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:43 PM

Advertisement
Two years ago I started to get odd days with severe stabbing/spasm pain always around my tummy button - it would prevent me sleeping and at the time I was sure it had to be my appendix.A year ago I ended up in hospital with the pain which had gone on for days - it stats as a tightening sensation building up to an excruitiating shapr pain that suddenly after about 30 seconds goes completely until a few minutes later when it all starts again.I had my appendix out and because it was normal I had large exploratory operation and had my snall bowel examined plus pancreas liver gallbladder and right kidney and my female bits and everything normal ( apart from small gallstones long standing and no complications - so surgeon left it in). I had abdominal and pelvic utlrasounds and stool tests for evrything and thena fter I recovered from op I had colonoscopy which was completely normal. Told it was bowel spasm aka IBSI did notice after the colonoscopy that the gas they used caused me same excruitianting stabbing pains around navel as I was getting myself.I had an attack 2 months ago it lasted one day and the pain literally floors me and I am terrified it won't go away.Last night I woke up at 3am with severe stabbing pains just below and slightly to right of navel. had 3 bowel movements in quick succession all loose and the pain and come and gone all day. Have tried buscopan but as yet can't tell if it works or thep ain jsut eases off itself for a few hours.I need reassurance that it is possible to ahve such severe pain from something like IBS

Advertisement

#2 Volleyball Girl

Volleyball Girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:27 PM

hi,I read your story and I just want to reassure you that, yes, it is possible to have very severe abdominal pain. Ive had that terrifying pain non-stop for 6 months now, and i cant go to school or even walk around anymore(im 14). The hospital told me that it happens, although very rarely, that ibs can be extremely severe but that it wont be like that for the rest of my life. As for the buscopan, ive tried that before, although it didnt do a thing so id go see your doctor to check if its the right med for you. Personally, whats worked best for me was gabapentin (which is supposed to reverse the cycle of ongoing pain) and acupuncture(it may look painfull but once your used to it, it really helps ease the pain.I hope that helps you a bit!!! :( Melissa

#3 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,890 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:46 PM

IBS can cause extremely severe pain.It is a problem in the nervous system and nerve generated pain from any disorder is often much worse than pain from damaged/ulcerated/broken body parts.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#4 Ashers86

Ashers86

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:24 PM

Hi bumpkin,I wish I could say it wasn't true, but you're not alone.The gas causing pain & discomfort is common with IBS; and not just from the colonoscopy. If you think about it though, when you start to spasm, do you feel all the uncomfortable movements in your stomach as the pain elevates? When I notice that, I just know I'm not crazy and that it is the drastic change in movements (or contractions, I want to call them sometimes :( ) that's causing all of that.I have been in so much pain that I couldn't get off the toilet... My legs had already lost sensation and all I wanted to do was go to bed, but I've had to have someone help me move.With that being said, I think that clarifies that the pain can be severe. It just depends on you.
IBS-D since October 2006; officially diagnosed with IBS in November 2006. Switch to C in May - December 2008 caused by anti-depressants.
Current health issues: Depression, Anxiety, Social Anxiety, Asthma/Allergies, IBS, & GERD.
Current Daily Medications: Prozac 20mg, Prevacid 30mg, Seroquel XR 25mg.

#5 bumpkin

bumpkin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:38 PM

thanks everyone great to know I am not alone here. The description of contactions is so right as you can feel the tightness build up before the severe stabbing pain and its so weird that sudden stop like someone switching it off.

#6 Ashers86

Ashers86

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:13 PM

:(I am female, but have never been pregnant which is why I never bothered to describe it that way before....\But it is a build up like "Oh no, what's going on!?".
IBS-D since October 2006; officially diagnosed with IBS in November 2006. Switch to C in May - December 2008 caused by anti-depressants.
Current health issues: Depression, Anxiety, Social Anxiety, Asthma/Allergies, IBS, & GERD.
Current Daily Medications: Prozac 20mg, Prevacid 30mg, Seroquel XR 25mg.

#7 Gemma D

Gemma D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:16 AM

Hi I am new to this site and don't know if this will help but I also suffer with a high level of constant pain which gets worse when bowel spasms and have ended up in hospital on a couple of occasions only to latter be dismissed and told 'it's just ibs' which really doesn't help at all. I wondered also if i was the only who suffered so badly but looking through this site it has been a comfort to know that there are other people who experience similar symptoms as myself although it is also a shame to find out that other people have been through the same frustrating and painful journey to getting diagnosed and then the subsequent frustration at the lack of medical knowledge or ability to really help,or at lest thats what I have found so far .

#8 30years

30years

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:20 AM

:( where is your severe pain? mine is from hip bone to hip bone qcross the bottom of my guts. 30 yrs ai have had this and Im still getting the same severe pain. I went gluten free almost two yrs ago and that helped tremendously, a chinese doctor diagnosed me gluten intolerent. but still I have this pain after I have a stressful situation, usually first sign, then the foods are secondary, and just add to the pain. I have to wear a girdle and walk around like and old lady shuffeling my feet ,The longest the pain lasted was 28 days and I though Iwas going to die. For thirty years I have been told that it was my uterus, although it was perfect she said after the continual exams over the years. Our sex life has been well the worst for both of us cause it always seemed to happen after sex, what I didnt know is I was adding to the pain by eating gluten, and a stressful lifestyle on top of that didnt help. last night I drank about 8 sips of a coke and boy have I regreted it. It not only causes diahrrea well in my case soft stool cause I usually have constipation all the time, but for many many years it has also beenlinked to my leg pain, since I was at least 8. And I had the constipation back then too, with the leg pain. I have been high fructosecorn syrup free for a very long time only a little in ketchup which I gave up six months ago. So it had a profound effect especially with my legs, its my sign everytime that in the next ten hrs or so I will have a soft stool and maybe even diahrrea which is a gift to me due to the chronic constipation all my life. I was told in the 90.s I had Ibs but no one explained it too me, I had been diagnosed with Raynauds phenomen secondary, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue ebstein barr virus and Ibs was the least on there minds and they did not knw what they were talking about anyway. I do get pain right after eating inthe lower left rib , then it moves to the right side, always on an empty stomach and spinich has been a culprit for that pain. but the severe pain below the uterus and from hip to hip is so painful and unexplainable, I would like to know if there is anyone that has this same thing happening to them ? Idont want tospend the res of my life like this and am willing to chang my diet to whatever I havre too. dairy and sugar are going next just to see if it helps. I have read two books in two days and they bboth say different things , I dont get it, oner does sugar in all her receipes and no yeast in her breads except sd and the other says yeast could be one of the culprits. I already have had to go off gluten hfcs and most preservatives and just bought juicer today to see if it will help. I feel for you all so dearly, had lots of tests and they find no inflamation but it feels like someone took out my intestines and twisted them and put them back all bruised to heal . I hope this helpes someone , this is my first post and I will look forward to see if we can all help each other, we are our own caregivers and only we can take care of ourselves but knowledge is power , so we will look toward each other for help, and find more like this than most people would paying to talk to someone. my best to all of us. Mahalo from Hawaii

#9 geniveve

geniveve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

30 years, i could have written that post myself, word for word. i have always been constipated. been diagnosed with "severe and chronic ibs" and had every test known to man!! many times.two months ago i lost the sensation to go poo, i just have no urge. after several weeks i take a laxative and i've tried many. miralax doesn't seem to work so i tried a shaklee herb-lax. unfortunately it gives me a great deal of pain but i do go.i have constant mind numbing pain below my navel, mostly on the left side. i cannot bend over and have to be careful walking. in fact i've been up since 3 this morning, walking the floor in pain. the gastro gave me robinul forte which is useless. i was taking elavil but he wouldn't give it to me anymore and i can't find a doctor who will. it really seemed to help.i've had three bm's now and the pain has lessened. it does seem to go from an 10 plus to a 6-7 after i go poo, but the pain is constant. i usually have to go on water. food only aggravates it. i've lost 11 pounds and am still loosing because i can't eat Anything.i am truly lost. i'm 60 and weight 189. plus i was just diagnosed with a heart condition and am on high bp meds. i can't exercise now because i think it causes more pain.surely somebody on here can help. i have no life now.

#10 Lookin'foraLife

Lookin'foraLife

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

Genevive, it's awful the doctors won't prescribe you painkillers for the pain.The pain needs to be managed before anything else.I can tell you that when I had it that bad, the only thing that really gave me relief was XANAX.It's a strong drug but it works! In your condition and at your age quality of life must be taken into account.If your current doctor won't help you, find one who will!

#11 Lookin'foraLife

Lookin'foraLife

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:38 PM

I highly recommend a much safer option which has restored much of my quality of life by controlling the pain:L-ORNITHINE from Solgar. It's OTC supplement.I take 2 pills of 500mg before sleep and started out taking 4, then 6, then reduced to 2 eventually since it worked so well.

#12 cherrypie09

cherrypie09

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:58 AM

I suffer with extremely bad pain, left side from the back over the hip bone and down the left side, I have this pain 24/7, sometimes it reaches a very high peak and is so bad i cry with pain, its worse than giving birth. The doctor has me on Dihydracodeine 30mg I can take 1-2 every four hours if needed. I didnt realise ibd pain can be so pain and I have ibs-d.

#13 cleung

cleung

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:06 PM

Yes it can be severely painful... well at least for me it was extremely painful. As Kathleen's posted the pain can be worse than broken body part. The most difficult part is we don't know when is the pain really come from some severe damage or it is "just" ibs. I became a regular in the ER which I hate to do. Pain management is also not being taken seriously here compare to other illness.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here