Advertisement

Photo

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SpaceNeedle

SpaceNeedle

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:59 PM

Advertisement
Have any fellow IBS-C types tried taking any of the SSRI drugs for constipation? One of the side effects of SSRI's is supposedly diarrhea. I want to give it a shot!--------------------------------Prozac, Paxil, ZoloftDrugs in this class include (trade names in parentheses): (from wikipedia)* fluoxetine (Prozac, Fontex, Seromex, Seronil, Sarafem, Fluctin (EUR), Fluox (NZ), Depress (UZB), Lovan (AUS))* paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat, Sereupin, Aropax, Deroxat, Rexetin, Xetanor, Paroxat)* sertraline (Zoloft, Lustral, Serlain)* citalopram (Celexa, Cipramil, Dalsan, Recital, Emocal, Sepram, Seropram, Citox)* dapoxetine (no trade name yet; not yet approved by the FDA)* escitalopram (Lexapro, Cipralex, Esertia)* fluvoxamine (Luvox, Fevarin, Faverin, Dumyrox, Favoxil, Movox)* zimelidine (Zelmid, Normud)--------------------------------Please respond if you've tried this and had success! I'm scheduled to visit my GI doc this week to discuss...Thank yoU!

Advertisement

#2 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:38 PM

I'm also curious about it.
---------------------------------
-->IBS INDUCED BY NSAIDS NAPROXEN
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
-Permanent discomfort/cecum&sigmoid stuck/trapped gas-
---->IBS-Type constipation normal transit time(diagnose with non-relaxing puborectalis december 2005)
--->Pubic nevralgia
***WORST PERMANENTLY SINCE RIFAXIMIN

#3 Pilgrim

Pilgrim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:25 PM

I think you have bad information. I've been on almost all the SSRI's on and off for 20 years and it is has no effect on my IBS.

#4 distressed

distressed

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:16 PM

My advice would be to first try Effexor its an SNRI, more likely to help and have less side effects....SSRI's are supposed to be better for constipation, but you need to understand that using any antidepressant for the gut is treating the gut using the side effects of the drug not what it was originally developed for so it is a bit hit and miss....I have tried 16 different drugs in all the different categories with no real benefit...i dont have constipation though....mostly just pain, gas, nausea

#5 carrieline

carrieline

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:25 PM

I was using lexapro for awhile because my IBS had caused such anxiety and depression - i believe it helped my mood and therefore my IBS-C. But it never created diarrhea. It did have a weird sexual side effect that i didnt like so i stopped taking it...however my symptoms are back and i'm considering going back on a medicine for anxiety that doesnt have the side effect. My therapist said that all SSRI's tend to have sexual side effects and suggested I might consider Buspar - has anyone tried this? did it treat you IBS-C? I hate to be on "depression" medicine my whole life just because i'm CONSTIPATED, but I'll definitely do it if it works and doesn't affect other areas of my life....any thoughts?

#6 tummyA

tummyA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

Hi all! I was taking 10 mg lexapro for a few years and just recently switched to celaxa. I believe celaxa is very similar to lexapro, but is the generic and less expensive. For me the SRSRI takes the edge off. It helps me not worry so much about having a stomach ache. I don't know if it is more of the placebo effect (ya no because i take a pill I don't care as much), but it definitely helps. This past year has been a transitional year for me, i just moved to a new city and have had more anxiety then i did the last few years in college... I have considered going up a dose, but really don't want to have to.SSRI's can help people with pain and how much of it you feel. I don't know the science behind all of that, its best to act a doctor, but I know that people take them for many other reasons besides depression. I too don't like the idea of taking an antidepressant, but if it helps, then its worth it.

#7 Alexanderfromdenmark

Alexanderfromdenmark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:42 AM

If anyone try's SSRI's for specifically IBS, they should do so on doses much lower than used for depression and anxiety.

#8 pharmaprincess

pharmaprincess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:10 AM

i have been on lexapro for about 4 months for my ibs-c. ive always been a super anxious person but never thought id qualify for an antidepressant/anti-anxiety med. i am on 5mg a day and only had 3 days of some slight nausea. my mood is much more stable and i feel amazing. it really helped with my ibs too. the only down side is i can no longer achieve an orgasm.does anyone else have this?does anyone know of anything without the sexual side effects or are we all out of luck???

#9 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,911 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:38 AM

Read this http://www.mayoclini...essants/AN01739Buspar sometimes reduces them for some patients, is primarily for anxiety and sometimes helps with IBS as well.It also lists some of the other antidepressants that tend to be less likely to cause this.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#10 KElizabeth

KElizabeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:08 AM

I have had IBS-C for 10 years and since then been on Zoloft and now Prozac for depression and neither one has helped my constipation.

#11 neakybird

neakybird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:18 PM

I have been on zoloft for 5 years for depression and have never had any change in bowel habits (or lack there of in my case). As a matter of fact I have read that constipation is a side effect of Zoloft, but anyway, no, it did not help me. How ever I have found help and I posted just now to tell all about it if you are interested you can read that post and believe me I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy to have the results I do.Neakybird

#12 Lit'lNutz

Lit'lNutz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:34 PM

i was on paxil for depression and anxiety. Was working great. Noticed an incredible difference in my ibs . Ya it works. Yet paxil made me go a little loopy so had to get off it. lolBut ya, I went on paxil not even thinking about my stomach and then i began to not notice my stomach. When you don't notice it in your everyday life, that is a beautiful thing.

#13 Teacupmama

Teacupmama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:10 AM

Yes it is one of the side effects if you google Lexapro. I did that as i am going back on after being off for 5 years but my IBS is bad and I want to see if it has a positive effect. If you are in pain gassy and bloated you dont feel all that sexy anyway so I thought what the heck....I am hoping to get results for the IBS and then switch or wean myself off once I have the anxiety and stress under control.Hope this helps

#14 Lit'lNutz

Lit'lNutz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:34 PM

i have been on paxil for about a month for anxiety. Helping a lot with my ibs!!! Definitely nothing like a zelnorm cure but a great improvement in energy, bloating, bowel movements. Some days are gassy though. I find that the ibs is still there but once i get moving with my day, it kinda goes away, comes back a bit, decreases. Not scared of how im going to feel in the am.. so that is for sure a plus. Ibs can be a cause of depression.. which doesn't help the ibs. Give paxil a shot!

#15 gfactor

gfactor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

Hi there,I was on Lexapro for awhile for IBS-C and it worked wonders. Absolute wonders. I mean...within 2 days of being on the drug, things were starting to regulate, and the symptoms were almost completely relived. Apparently that's not completely unheard of: SSRI's can have a much faster impact on GI issues than they do on mood.Also, of relevance: I do *not* suffer from anxiety or depression. Which is simply to say that the effect that Lexapro had for me really wasn't mood related - it really corrected something in my gut.Unfortunately Lexapro *is* a mood altering agent, and so it has some unfortunate side effects: brain fog, in particular, for me. And so I've been trying to stay off it, despite its success. At the moment I'm having a pretty bad bout of it, and so I'm considering going back on it for awhile. But I'd obviously prefer not to be a life-long SSRI user, especially since I don't need it for mood issues.Anyway...from what I gather SSRIs work for some, but not all, people. But boy did it work for me.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here