Advertisement

Photo

ratio of soluble to insoluble fiber for IBS?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SteveE

SteveE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:45 AM

Advertisement
I got the idea today that maybe the reason fiber helps some and hinders others with IBS might be that there is an ideal ratio of soluble to insoluble fiber for IBS sufferers. Does anyone have any insight on what that might be? I was intrigued to see that a quick surf for such a ratio (regardless of IBS) yielded some extremely conflicting results. I found one page indicate it should be 3:1 soluble to insoluble and another that said the opposite!Wouldn't that be a great study, though? Take some IBS-C, IBS-D, IBS-A patients along with a group of "healthy" controls and give subgroups differing dietary ratios of 3:1, 2:1, 1:1, 1:2, 1:3 soluble to insoluble diets and see what happens.

Advertisement

#2 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:50 AM

That would be interesting. The one I use is 5:1 and I like it just fine.Mark
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

#3 SteveE

SteveE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:56 AM

5:1 which way? Soluble to insoluble or vice versa?

#4 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:38 AM

The dosage is 10 grams soluble to 2 grams insoluble.
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here