Advertisement

Photo

Large Stool/Large Amounts of Stool...Please Help.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rjc

rjc

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:25 AM

Advertisement
Anyone else here having very large bowel movements? I am passing very large (in diameter, length and mass) stool and my GI says it's IBS related. I weigh myself before my morning BM and after and on some days when this occurs there is a 4 lb difference (yikes) and on normal days its about 1-2 lbs (I realize some of the weight is urine/water but the total difference between normal days and the heavy days is significant). I'm 5'9"s and weigh about 150 and usually go once a day. On the days I produce the large amounts of stool I sometimes have abdomial spasms/cramps that follow which can last from 3-12 hours. What usually also occurs is I pass the normal amount of stool first then I get a feeling that I must go more and that's when the trouble begins.Thanks for the help : )

Advertisement

#2 Quirky_kitten

Quirky_kitten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:13 PM

I get something similar I think. Its only started within the past 3 months or so, and I assume its ibs related, but I've started getting really wide stools, there is always a lot of urgency but they are so much of them and they're so big they cause quite a bit of damage on the way out and there's usually a lot of blood. Don't have a solution yet I'm afraid, but I'd be really interested to see if this is a common prob - none of the literature I've read mentions this. - and whether anyone knows a way to avoid it happening :( Take care of yourself

#3 rjc

rjc

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:21 PM

Try some stool softner (Colace) I need about three per day. You may have a fissure caused by the large sized stool which may be causing the bleeding...if not you may have IBD vs IBS. I would suggest seeing a GI doc asap especially if there's bleeding...mention the large stool size/amounts of stool to them. Have you been loosing any weight or have difficulty gaining weight. The two GI docs I've seen both say the large amounts/sized stool is IBs abd that's why I'm asking around here to see if anyone else has this issue.

#4 JenniferNS

JenniferNS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

While I haven't actually been diagnosed with IBS I certainly have lots of the symptoms. In the last two years I have at least 3 episodes where for a short period of time I would go many times a day (as much as seven!) and be producing rather large, firmish stools.

#5 rjc

rjc

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:01 PM

Did any of you ever get abdominal pain after these large Bms? I do sometimes and they can be quite nasty : (Thnx

#6 Quirky_kitten

Quirky_kitten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:18 PM

Yeah, I pretty much get pain right before i go and right after. Usually before its pain low down in the front tummy area and afterwards its right round front and back.

"The sun rose slowly, like a fiery furball coughed up uneasily onto a sky-blue carpet by a giant unseen cat." - Michael McGarel

#7 rjc

rjc

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

How long does the pain last after you go?Thnx

#8 Icoicoico

Icoicoico

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:27 AM

If you eat lots of fibers and take fiber supplements you will get large stools.Fibre enlarges 10 times in the colon so 10g of fibre=100 gram of stools.

#9 rjc

rjc

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:46 AM

Thanks. On the days I get these episodes the stool is not only large in size, but in weight too, about 4xs what it should be. I have been actually eating a very low fiber diet because my stool was too soft and mushy prior to all this.

#10 hewitson

hewitson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:27 AM

Hi I was diagnosed with functional bowel three years ago and I have to dive out of bed some mornings even if I didn't eat much the day before I do such a large amount of stool which is also a mixture of soft and hard but afterwards I am fine for rest of day so perhaps you have the same anyway keep smiling

#11 NancyCat

NancyCat

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:38 PM

I take fiber and I know that makes you produce more poop. I go huge amounts too, most of the time, sometimes it takes hours. My gastro who is an IBS expert said its IBS D, which I found really difficult to believe since its formed. She explained how even though its formed I go more times than is "normal" and that is considered to be IBS D by drs, though in my expereince some dr's dont even know about this defination.I get pain (spastic in nature often) before I poop and after, after I've gone a lot I think its from my bowels contracting back into place, I refer to it as afterpains.Hope this helps :(
Nancy

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here