11 replies to this topic

#1 AEV

AEV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:22 AM

Advertisement
I read through some of these posts, and a lot of them seemed to address pain in the stomach and right regions of the abdomen. I get excruciating bouts of pain in my lower left abdomen, where the descending colon would be. The pain comes in waves, and when it gets worse, they get stronger and the frequency increases. The pain is localized in that one spot next to my left hip bone. I noticed that this happens in conjunction with constipation. Does anyone else experience this? I wonder if this is a form of IBS? It is ruining my life; I cannot study, and I cannot carry on conversations because it is so bad.

Advertisement

#2 atom09

atom09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:59 PM

sounds like it to me -go to the doctor

#3 Char N Florida

Char N Florida

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:01 AM

I have had that pain for the last 6 years, for a while it was not as bad. Lately awful, too much ice cream, but I actually blame the increase in pain on fresh orange juice. Doctor calls it diverticulosis, but he saw no diverticulum's during the colonoscopy. Same spot next to the left hip bone, have been doing some stretches for the psoas muscle, which is behind the intestines.

#4 Stamper

Stamper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:59 AM

I too have a pain in my left side. I have been diagnosed as having IBS-D and experience a lot of abdominal pain (cramping). Nothing I have tried has been able to get rid of the cramping and for some reason the doctor's are not worried about the pain in my side. I have had all the tests, colonoscopy, Barium enema, endoscopy, abdominal Ct Scan, you name it I have had it. Nothing shows as abnormal. Ten years ago I had 18 inches of my large intestines removed due to diverticulitis. The doctor even checked for "Short bowel disease" and no luck there.Sorry but I can't give you any suggestions on how to get rid of the pain in your side. Sometimes it helps just knowing you are not the only one with this problem.

#5 Char N Florida

Char N Florida

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:27 AM

Hey Stamper, I too have had many many diagnostic tests, all-normal. Somewhat like you I have had bowel surgery 7 years ago 4 feet of the ileum was removed because of obstructions from adhesions. The annoying pain started about 3 months after that surgery after a long bike ride. It is mostly burning pain and lately cramping, which I think is from poor diet choices. I find the cramping and generally not feeling well more of a problem than the burning pain. No diagnosis or professional guess on my burning pain, I am on my own.

#6 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,911 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:32 AM

IBS pain can be anywhere the colon is, so lower left can be very consistent with IBS.IBS pain ranges from mild to severe so that doesn't help with figuring out the cause of the pain. Diverticular pain does tend to show up in the decending colon more than anywhere else. If you get a fever with a bout of severe pain that needs to be checked out right away, but if this is your sort of normal pain pattern with no symptoms of other things (like bloody diarrhea or fever) then it is likely to be IBS.If you haven't seen the doctor, you should. There are some prescriptions that can help with the pain. About the only over the counter or herbal thing for pain is peppermint. I actually use Altoids (the curiously strong mint, the original peppermint ones) as they have a pretty good dose of peppermint oil. It usually takes 2-3 mints to reduce the pain, but it has the advantage of being cheap and readily available where I live. Some people prefer tea or enteric coated peppermint, but I find the Altoids work pretty well. Peppermint can make heartburn worse so some people can't use it for that reason.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#7 Stamper

Stamper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:57 AM

Thanks Kathleen, I am going to try the Peppermint. I had heard it was good for cramps but have never tried it. I'll let you know how it works out. The doctor did prescribe Dicetel. Any thoughts on this drug?

#8 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,911 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

No personal experience, but all of the drugs like that which relax the smooth muscles (which is what peppermint does as well) can help reduce the pain for some people.If you have a predictable pain pattern (like after meals) taking things like this ahead of time sometimes helps more than waiting until you can't take it anymore.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#9 arrianep

arrianep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:44 AM

Hey AEV. I also experience pain in my lower left abdomen, which I'd agree would be the Descending Colon! Although the pain I get is very annoying, I wouldn't class mine as excruciating. It seems to be a sort of line of pain, feels like a knife. I've been to my doctor who was pretty useless, the first blood test came back nearly abnormal for inflammation and the second came back negative (I wonder why they didn't do a third, it could've come back abnormal!). I haven't found any medication which has worked for me, although I haven't tried Peppermint just yet, the muscle relaxers I was given just made it worse. Feel like I've been branded a label and nothing is being done about it :/ Just thought I'd pop in and let you know there's another leftie :(Arriane

#10 cherrypie09

cherrypie09

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:29 AM

HiI too get left side abdominal pain, really painful last night, felt sick and shivery, so much pain, was a bit constipated, but i am IBS-D, and i always get a pain there nearly continuously, but worse when constipated.

#11 cajelidi

cajelidi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:50 PM

Currently right now, I am slightly reclined in my "recliner" and experiencing left-side pain (similar to "stitch" pain). It seems to almost always start up when I am sitting...straight or slightly reclined, but no pain when laying down! And very rarely, do I notice it when standing...occasionally, but usually it is a "left-over" pain from sitting. I asked my Gastro Dr. also if this was "IBS-related" and he said yes...that was it. I am supposed to follow up in 3 months...but it helps to know that there are "others" that have similar pains. :( ...but for some reason, I can relieve the pain somewhat by applying counter pressure to my side! Any explanations on this?

#12 pandi247

pandi247

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:31 PM

Hello all. I just found this board today and was surprised that such a thing existed. I'm very glad it does.This is the very thing that sent me to checking facts today... that awful burning and cramping pain in my lower left side. I was diagnosed with IBS-A about 13 years ago. I've managed to live with it without too much worry until recently. I knew what it felt like when it flaired up and dealt with it until it passed. This has included chronic bouts of constipation and diarhea as a matter of course. Ocassionally I would have serious flair ups with severe pain and cramping and get the shakes and cold clammy sweats. Sometimes I would actually go to the dr. and get the little black pills that would help with the painful spasms. It has been quite a while since a major flair up. About 2 weeks ago I started having a burning pain in my extreme lower abdomen, near my hip. I did actually think it was my hip since I have arthritis and other joint problems. It persisted and grew worse and began to spread to my pelvic area. I then began to feel pressure on my bowels and a feeling of needing to urinate. I realized I was also constipated. I've felt bloated and heavy in my lower abdomen with burning pain and cramps, and some pain in my extreme lower back. This is not how my IBS usually presents so I was beginning to worry (I actually had not even associated this pain with IBS) Then my daughter just casually remarked that I shouldn't worry, it was probably my IBS and lactose intolerance. It was like a light went on in my brain! Oh, yeah, that's what it is. I then began to put all the pieces together and realized a lot of the pain I was having was just like my usual IBS it was that new pain in my hip area that was throwing me off. What a relief to find this board and to find the very thing I was searching for. Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories, it has made my day!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here