13 replies to this topic

#1 Rich767

Rich767

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:06 AM

Advertisement
Hi I am supposed to be having both procedures a week on tuesday, has anyone else had them done on the same day?Do you only go in the room once so they do one and then the other or do you have to go in and out, and have sedation twice?Also what this I here about only having Sedation or Throat spray and not both together, why can't you have both?ThanksRich

Advertisement

#2 Ashers86

Ashers86

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:49 AM

Hi Rich,I too had both procedures done at the same time. They literally do have you lay on your side, spray your throat, then sedate you and do both. Then before you know it, it's over!
IBS-D since October 2006; officially diagnosed with IBS in November 2006. Switch to C in May - December 2008 caused by anti-depressants.
Current health issues: Depression, Anxiety, Social Anxiety, Asthma/Allergies, IBS, & GERD.
Current Daily Medications: Prozac 20mg, Prevacid 30mg, Seroquel XR 25mg.

#3 EarnestAccord

EarnestAccord

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:14 AM

I had it done awhile back, I guess its nickname is "the spinner". I think it refers to the visual of having tubes up both ends...They're actually not done at the same time as you guessed but right after each other. If you get the amnesiac/ sedation it won't even register until you're propped up in bed and its all over. Lots of love.
Earnestly seeking my Accord

#4 Cathy in CA

Cathy in CA

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:06 PM

This sounds like a great idea to me.... only lose one day of your life, sedation makes both easier and you get 2 test results.I never needed both done for diagnosis. Symptoms were always pretty straightforward; they were looking for ulcers in colon or stomach. I had UC + recurring gastritis. Now, my colonoscopies are just to make sure UC isn't returning or cancer starting. Nothing ever shows up to explain awful IBS-D. I think the person who said he had to choose throat spray or sedation was in UK. How much can those cost? It's worth it if you ask me.Cathy

#5 riddick

riddick

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:09 PM

I had them both done last week (i couldn't tolerate the gastroscopy..so having that again this monday)......you won't get sedation and throat spray (not in the UK anyway).......it will be one or the other!I opted for sedation and to be honest mate it didn't sedate me in the slightest....the colonoscopy was a bit painful but tolerable...the gastroscopy was a complete non starter..i couldn't swallow the tube as i kept gagging on it constantly....the consultant reckons it will pass much easer with the throat spray this monday.

#6 riddick

riddick

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:11 PM

The reason you don't get both in the UK is purely financial...there can be no other reason as both are on offer at the same time in other countries.

#7 bexster32

bexster32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:49 PM

I am in the UK and had both the throat spray and sedation.

#8 riddick

riddick

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

Hi bexster.which hospital did you have it done at? they won't let me have both..they say it's one or the other....the reason they give is that sedation and spray might compromise the airway! as i couldn't tolerate it with sedation (due to gagging...the level of sedation they gave me was so low as to be non existant)...so i have to have spray only on monday....needless to say i am absolutely dreading it.

#9 bexster32

bexster32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:56 PM

I had it done at bournemouth hospital. Maybe you could mention that I had them both done together. I have found that you have to keep on sometimes to get what you want. With me they did the spray 1st then the sedation and I dont remember a thing and I was really nervous. However I do remember the colonoscopy as it really hurt so they had to give me more sedation.

#10 riddick

riddick

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:48 PM

I'll ask on monday....i am absolutely terrified of the procedure..i can't even sleep because of it! the colonoscopy was traumatic for me as well and they didn't give me any more sedation...when i asked afterwards the nurse said i was given minimum sedation! when i asked why she couldn't answer.....a poor do all round me thinks.

#11 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,269 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

If you have a driver... as in someone able to take you home, and have had no problems with past sedation... I would insist on more sedation Riddick. The Doc told you last time something to the effect of .... 'some people have trouble with it'. Riddick.. of course SOME people have trouble with it. BUT not EVERYone has trouble with it. Tell them you need much more sedation than you had last time or they will have the same result! It is more time efficient for them too if you have little or no sedation (time wise.. they can clear you out faster)... but you obviously NEED heavier sedation and I think there is no GOOD reason for them to deny you that.Be your own advocate and Be assertive.I'll be thinking of you.BQ
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#12 riddick

riddick

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

I will insist on it! i'll give it a go...if result is same again i'll get it done privately with a general anaethetic.

#13 newscat

newscat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:29 PM

They gave me a little more sedation than they did before for my colonoscopy, I came to after both were done!

#14 Ausie one

Ausie one

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:17 AM

Sorry to hear your problems.I had both done last year and they just sprayed my throat before I went in the one room and had a injection in my hand and woke up back in the room I started at.So I can not understand why they are being like that not giving enough sedation. There is no need for a general if they do it properly the first time.I have had a few Colonospocies and always slept through them.I know I felt more nervous last time as I had to have both together as I had had the Endoscope years ago on it's own so was glad to get them done together.Good luck nothing to get upset about if they do it right for you and give you enough to sedate you.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here