#21 postmortem

postmortem

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

Advertisement
the thing i have trouble getting is why doctors say fixing a rectocele would not help constipation... doesn't that sometimes in turn cause constipation? it's not always an effect of constipation.

Advertisement

#22 alwayshappy

alwayshappy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:14 AM

hi Postmortem,i'm not sure what you know or don't know, so i'll tell you what i know.constipation can be caused by few obstractive probs in the rectum, such as: rectal prolapse that blocks the stools from passing, rectocele - which is a prolapse of the wall that's separates between the rectum and vagina and a kind of a pocket is created towards the vagina. this pocket get filled with stools that can't come out, anismus - in a normal way, our pelvic is sqweezed in a certain level in order to prevent our secretes from pouring out without control. for this job we have a muscle called the "puborectalis", which holds our rectum, vagina and bladder from bein too loose. now, when there's a bm, then this muscle MUST relax and by relaxing it allows the stool to pass. in anismus the problem is that when there's a bm the muscle paradoxicaly sqeezes even more and not allowing the stools to pass, enterocele - a situation in which there's kind of a prolapse of the small bowel and they just press on the pelvic and this presure causes inability to pass stools (not quite sure if the info i have on the enterocele is accurate though) - these are the obstractive probs within the pelvic, and they are all defined as a pelvic floor dysfunction.there's also a condition where the whole colon doesn't function, a condition that also called colonic inertia, or slow transit constipation, if that's the case, the whole colon should be removed. usually, ppl (it happens mostly to women rather than men) who have colonic inertia also tend to develope a pelvic floor dysfunction, due to the long yrs of being constipated and bearing down.now, i had a rectal prolapse and a rectocele (had that fixed 2 yrs ago with the STARR procedure), BUT i also have colonic inertia, which means that fixing the rectum only can't solve my problems, so in that case there's no other choice but to have my colon removed as well (and to hope the results are successful). it's important to fix the rectum as well, cause it's like if the plumbing is not working then it should be removed, but if the fauced is also broken, then it should be fixed too!! i assume that the dr who told me that he can't help me, said that only b/c he didn't want to deal with this type of prob. i got the impression that there are certain drs that don't want to deal with ppl with colonic inertia w/pelvic floor dysfunction, but that's o.k, cause there are many other great drs that ARE willing to deal with it. just have to find the right drs.hope that answers your question.

#23 Lookin'foraLife

Lookin'foraLife

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:43 AM

Hi, Wow, you sure seem to have alot of info on this subject. Sounds like you've been through alot dealing with it. Is constipation your only symptom or do you have others alongside of it such as nausea, intestinal hypersensitivity, indigestion and so on? I have so many different symptoms that I dont think that in my case just dealing with the constipation would help all that much. I feel ill even when I'm all cleaned out.

#24 alwayshappy

alwayshappy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:24 AM

hi, i've learned some about my prob, which involves the pelvic floor and the colon, but i don't know much about probs in the upper digestive system though. i don't get nausous or have any more probs, except for not having any spontaneous bms, so i get real gasy, bloated, crampy and uncomforatble. most days the pain is so bad that i can't stand straight. i feel o.k only when i keep empty. so i eat only breakfast everyday and i have a cup of black coffee at 4 pm and that's it. some days i get hungry and eat more, so then i'm hurging BAD. on sabbath i eat all 3 mealls and then i take the yobsolax that helps a lot to make me go. if i eat 3 meals every day, i'll won't be able to function or go to work at all.what i do know is that there's a condition where the small intestine are slow and there's a condition called gastroparasis (sp?) where the stomach is also very slow and ppl who have these probs can feel really nausous all the time and feel really full even after eating a single peanutd, cause it takes their stomach and small intestines way too long to empty. were you dxed with gastroparasis? fortunately, i don't have these issues, but i've talked to ppl who all their dygestive system is slow from esophogus to rectum. they always feel nausous and full like they've just have a feast. they also vomit (involuntary) if they eat a little more than they should. do you have that prob too? and oh yes, i've just remembered that i've read that these ppl are usually prescribed with reglan. do you take that medicine too?

#25 Lookin'foraLife

Lookin'foraLife

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

It sounds awful to eat so little throughout the day! I live on a very limited diet and eat a little for every meal. What has helped me and might actually work in your case as well is drinking Ensure Plus energy drinks during the day. Each has the caloric value of a meal and is filled with vitamins, is well absorbed and can actually have a mild laxative effect. It saved me from anorexia when all this began.From your description it does not sound like what you have falls under the category of IBS.I have only been diagnosed as having IBS. My docs won't prescribe me anything besides antidepressants. I'm not nausous all the time, but some of the time. Sometimes I'm full without eating a thing and sometimes I'm starving. I never vomit.For some reason alhtough I try to stick to my diet, my condition seems to get worse during the Sabbath. Strange...I'd love to try the Reglan, I just need to find a doc who'll prescribe it to me! Do they carry it in Israel?

#26 sarah jane

sarah jane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:02 AM

couple of comments..having your colon removed seems like a drastic choice.I can appreciate that you may already have tried every avenue you possibly can, and that having surgery seems like the only remaining choice.and i don't want to project my own feelings about this on to you, when it may have taken you a really long and sober length of time to come to this decision.I am a nurse by background, and have taken care of patients who have had total colectomies, and now live for the rest of their lives with a bag at their waist.you have so much of the rest of your life ahead of you, and medical progress is always developing by leaps and bounds.once you let them take your colon there's no going back, and this will be a devastating loss for you to cope with.SJ

#27 sarah jane

sarah jane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:09 AM

I completely understand your reluctance to eat only breakfast..then some coffee.but you need to put nourishment into your body...small amounts, soft foods perhaps...soups, shakes, fruit smoothies..i do a lot of this.the other thing i use, to curb my appetite, is from Okuma Nutritionals [based in Colorado]..they have a tea called Wu-Long and they also have herbal capsules [of the same tea]..this is an all natural product and in addition to curbing appetite, it also boosts energy levels and is touted as a weight loss extract.give it a try..you can order online.sj

#28 debibsc

debibsc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:35 AM

couple of comments..having your colon removed seems like a drastic choice.I can appreciate that you may already have tried every avenue you possibly can, and that having surgery seems like the only remaining choice.and i don't want to project my own feelings about this on to you, when it may have taken you a really long and sober length of time to come to this decision.I am a nurse by background, and have taken care of patients who have had total colectomies, and now live for the rest of their lives with a bag at their waist.you have so much of the rest of your life ahead of you, and medical progress is always developing by leaps and bounds.once you let them take your colon there's no going back, and this will be a devastating loss for you to cope with.SJ

hi Sarah-Jane,For myself, I feel exactly the same way. I don't want my colon removed. I keep thinking that they will find an answer for my problem and that I'm just going to have to battle on best I can until then, if possible. And I don't have any bms without strong laxatives and now, not even those it seems.This week, after taking the one laxative that usually doesn't fail me actually did fail, and following it up with a fleet enema used in desperation to get things moving also failed, I was very upset and distressed. Then on Thursday I had my first colonic irrigation (I figured what had I to loose except a whole lot of fecal matter if lucky) and it feels like it has emptied me out well. I was careful to research a reputable place and the person who conducted the colonic was great -- also massaging my stomach the whole time. It's Saturday afternoon now and I still feel well. I'm going to continue along this road. I'll try the Epsom Salts again next week (can't get an appointment for colonic irrigation because Easter is coming up here) but have a follow up for a colonic the following week. Hopefully this will be the answer. My gi prescribed his 'last resort' for me -- colgout. A medication for gout that also causes a lot diarrhea in people with gout. I was wary of taking it as I didn't know what I'd do if it didn't work, and also because it can cause some liver problems and you have to be tested for those fairly regularly, as I understand it.I don't want to lose any more organs if I can help it. The thought of a colorectomy scares me. And I'm not exactly young. I'm 53. Once it's out they can't put it back in.deb

#29 sarah jane

sarah jane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:03 PM

Hi Deb..I am new to this website/forum, so ..enjoyed getting a response, and hearing from you. it feels so helpful to connect w/others dealing with IBS..I'm pretty convinced I have colonic inertia..you and 'Sean' are the only other two people i have so far noted on this forum, who have the same.so, we can help each other with suggestions, since even when we take laxatives, they often still just sit there in our colon, w/the contents we are trying to flush out.Like you, I have had a series of colonics, and they have helped greatly..a good resource..but i couldn't keep up the expense, and i also want to try and figure out how to get my colon flushed out on my own, whenever possible. But i think having colonics available when i i feel like nothing i'm doing is working, is a major help.An ayurvedic practitioner recommended this to me, and it has been helping to flush me out, as well as being really good for the colon..it's an herb from India, used predominantly there for tons of health and digestive issues..it's called Triphala..you can order it at BanyanBotanticals.com..order the powder form..it tastes very bitter..follow a slug of it with tea or juice..use it on an empty stomach, starting with a teaspoon at a time.let me know if you try this.Because of the Inertia, i regularily use a suppository to stimulate my colon to 'git movin'..either a dulcolax, or a peppermint capsule [which needs to be 100%organic, otherwise you can't use it internally..not safe]..if you're interested in the peppermint oil I can tell you where to get it.Final comment on the idea of surgery..No! No! No!.. we can and MUST find ways to manage this without going down that road..EVER!..I, like you, am older versus younger [65] and by golly we're going ride this out OK..especially with this group support, which feels like a life line..anyone reading this, respond if the mood grabs you,and i am especially interested in connecting w/those who have colonic inertia in addition to the title of IBS-C..hugs to all of you out there dealing day by day hour by hour with this very challenging experience,sj

#30 alwayshappy

alwayshappy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:09 PM

hi all,lookinforalife, i've tried ensure and it gives me REAL BAD cramps and feels like dreaded whirlpools in my abdomen. it doesn't matter what i eat.. it just WON'T come out! i told you about my drs, have you heard of them? professor Halperin is actually one of the best gi drs in israel and also dr Ron Ishay. who's your dr? are you in Maccabi? if so, then i recomend you go to dr Ron Ishay, he belongs to Maccabi and specializes in motility disorders. i think it's time you try a new dr to get a second opinion and have some functional tests done. they can't say it's IBS, unless they've done ALL the tests to rule out anything else and in your case they didn't do ANY of those functional tests, so how can they just determine it's IBS???? i'd say it's totally irresponsible of them to do so!! i don't know wether we have reglan in israel.you're right... no matter what i eat on sabbath, i always feel the worse on that day.. it IS strange!!sarah jane, thanks for your comments and concern!! as much as i dread the idea of surgery, and believe me, i've tried EVERYTHING i can to avoid surgery, unfortunately, it does seem like it's my only option. i've been dxed with colonic inertia and have been struggeling with this for 16 years now!! i managed to live with it for about the first 10 years, but in the last 6 yrs it has gotten so bad, that it's literaly taking over my life and i can't go on living like this anymore. i don't have ANY quality of life anymore, so anything seems better than how i live my life now.. even surgery. laxatives hardly do anything for me, and even if i find something that helps, it helps for a short while and then stops, and even if i try to alternate, it won't help. i quit taking a certain laxative and tried it again after 6 months and it still doesn't do ANYTHING for me, once it stopped working, it'll never work again for me. same thing with all the other laxatives i've tried.colonic inertia only gets worse in time, no matter what diet you live on or life style. i've tried everything!! organic diets, doing sports, increasing my water intake to 3 litter a day, have been to an osteopath (sp?) and ALL kinds of homeopaths healers, biofeedback, therapy, hypnosis, mmmm.... what else..? i've tried SOOOOO many things, that i can't even remember them all... and while trying these things, my condition only got worse and worse, no matter what i do.my drs told me that at this point, there really is nothing i can do about it, my colon is paralized and that surgery is my only option. my colon is way too long and loopy and they say that if i don't do the surgery, i risk havin a perforation in my colon and that's too dangerous, and i don't want to have to have emergency surgery, that's for sure!well, about the ostomy, i'm happy to tell you that in colonic inertia patients, no bag is required!!! really. in colonic inertia there is no organic illnes like with crohns or colitis, so we get to keep our rectum.. yeah!! and they connect the small intestine to our rectum.. no bag, no j pouch.. in the first few months there's significant diarrhea, but after few months the small bowel learns to do the colon's job and the diarrhea lessens significantly. the success rate of this surgery is 90% and i've talked to women who had it and read about tens of them and they are all very happy they had it. they ALL say they actually got their lives back.only 4 out of about 40-50 women i've read about and talked to ended up with an ostomy. i've waited 16 yrs for medical progress to develope.. i'm 36 yrs old and ever since i was 20, my life is not considered a life at all, so i'm SO ready to start living my life again.

#31 sarah jane

sarah jane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:36 PM

OMG..I found your reply so helpful!I'm especially happy to hear that no ostomy bag is required after colon surgery..this is a huge piece of info..and from all that you just wrote I can TOTALLY appreciate your getting to this point, after all the years you have been through, and after all that you have tried.In your case, i can easily see the reason for making the surgery decision, and that you have indeed arrived at that place.Now I want to say GO FOR IT!..sounds like this is what you need to do..it helps to hear that people that have had it are happy, and have their life back.if you go ahead, please let the rest of us know about all of it..what you go through, the follow up etc.those of us with Colonic Inertia need the heads up, in the event that we get to that point also.I am twice your age, so am hoping that i can ride this out..but i am discouraged that those of you with many more years of having had to endure this, that the 'word' out there is there is 'no hope' for this condition to improve...but only to get worse...that's a big 'sentence' to wrap my head around..since there is such a psych factor embedded in this condition..everyone talks about when we get stressed how much worse we get..I am going to get some more therapy sessions this year, to at least try to unravel some of the life experiences i have had that obviously have played into this, and in the end, precipitated it.My dad was big time bi-polar, undiagnosed, untreated..and the family was very, very compromised because of it ..so i know full well that somewhere in my dna I have all these outcomes affecting me.thanks for writing at length..I appreciate the time you take to do this.sj

#32 alwayshappy

alwayshappy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

Sarha Jane,thanks so much for your reply and support!!yes, it was a HUGE relief for me too to find out that i won't need a bag. i was certain that every colectomy surgery ends up with an ostomy for life, but was very happy to find out that with CI it's a totally different oporation!i'm so sorry to have made you feel discouraged.. i don't know, but if the constipation situation doesn't seem to change and you can see there's a continueos deterioration of the symptoms, then it's not ibs, ibs ppl tend to have ups and downs, good days and bad days. in colonic inertia it is just permanent constipation. i guess that's the difference. the prob is that the constipation doesn't even stay the same, it just keep getting worse in time. how long have you been dealing with this prob? i hope you find relief too and feel better!!i sure will keep you updated!! if you also want to read some more about women who had this surgery for CI, you can google "total colectomy part 3" (parts 1-2 are hard to find) - there's a lot of reading to do there. you can also find me there starting from the end of part 19. we're in part 22 now, and there are lots of wonderful women in this forum who are also willing to share their stories. my screen name in that forum is "2b ColonFree" so you can join us at "total colectomy part 22" and learn more about it.good luck to you with everything you do!!

#33 Lookin'foraLife

Lookin'foraLife

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

Hi alwayshappy, your situation sounds very extreme if even liquids cause you so much pain and discomfort. I can understand why you are considering the surgery and thankfully it sounds like you are in good hands with those doctors. How long is recovery time afterwards?I'm in Meuchedet and best doctor I could find there is Dr. Fraiser who recommended only the capsule endoscopy I had. I agree with you it's irresponsible not to test for functional disorders.

#34 Lookin'foraLife

Lookin'foraLife

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

For me they mostly tested for organic disorders to rule them out.Perhaps I'll try to make a private appointment with the doctor you recommended since this sounds like his specialty.Let me know how you go on!(And of course good luck in any path you decide to choose!)

#35 alwayshappy

alwayshappy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:31 PM

thanks lookin, you know, if you are interested in a second opinion, then dr Ron Greenberg belongs to meuchedet too!! i highly recomend you go to him, he's truly GREAT!! the phone no. of his secretary for making an appt is 052-6428338, her name is יעל. are you living in Tel-Aviv? cause he's working in כירורגית א' באיכילוב - כירורג בכיר - don't worry.. going to a surgoen doesn't always mean you're going for surgery! just to go through the series of tests and it doesn't matter wether you do it with a gi dr or a colorectal surgoen. believe me, if he doesn't feel you're a candidate for surgery, he won't oporate on you, so don't freek out, o.k?also, i highly recomend you not ask only dr Greenberg's opinion, so i know that dr Oded Zmora and dr Moshe Koler (both from Tel Hashomer) are considered to be 2 of the best in our country - heard about them from so many ppl!! and they are extremely nice more then any other dr i've ever been to and very proffesional too. if i didn't already been to such a progress with my current drs, then i would go to either Zmora or Koler.about the surgery, well it is concidered a huge surgery, one of the biggest surgeries there are in fact. if all goes well, then recovery should be somewhere around 6 weeks, BUT most ppl who went through this surgery say it took them 6 months - year to feel like their normal self again. however, they all got back to their daily activities after 4-6 weeks, for some it has taken a little longer. i'm hoping to bounce back in 6 weeks to the most. i'll keep you updated, and please you do the same, o.k? i'd really like to know how things are going for you.let me know if you go to either drs i've listed - they're all great. tell them your story and if you see they don't order you the tests i told you about, then don't feel embarrassed to ask for them yourself.i wish you the best of luck with everything you do!!

#36 alwayshappy

alwayshappy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

you know.. dr Greenberg has his own forum too, it's in www.starmed.co.il, or you can just google פורום פרוקטולוגיה ד"ר רון גרינברג and you'll get just it. just thought you might want to check it out.

#37 debibsc

debibsc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

hi all,only 4 out of about 40-50 women i've read about and talked to ended up with an ostomy. i've waited 16 yrs for medical progress to develope.. i'm 36 yrs old and ever since i was 20, my life is not considered a life at all, so i'm SO ready to start living my life again.

Hi alwayshapppy, Sarah Jane,Alwayshappy, did the 4 out of 40-50 women ending with an ostomy have a colorectomy first. Just wondering. I don't like those odds. But I've had a lot go wrong with my health and I've got pretty pessimistic about the whole thing -- not as willing to take chances. But then again no bms without heavy laxatives (and sometimes not even then) has only been a problem for me for 4 years no. Not 16 years like yourself. I'd probably be thinking differently if I'd been dealing with this for 16 years.Sarah Jane,Thanks for your reply. It is great to connect with other people who have this problem to this extent. I will research the things you mentioned. I have to be careful as I have food, chemical, medication intolerances and I need to find out if any natural herb like med has medium or high salicylate content (or other things that could be problematical for me) and if it does it's out. My skin reacts painfully to salicyates in foods and herbs, amongst other things.I was painfree following the colonic irrigation until Sunday morning. Then I got a gut pain across the top of my gut, just under my breasts. I broke out in a sweat from the pain and doubled over (this is not unusual for me) and in pain I went to the toilet and although I had no urge to go I did push out a small amount of bm which led to a relief of the pain (usually I'd get no results at all with this pain). Once again I'm feeling uncomfortable but I'm not completely constipated -- a few pebbles here and there and another small bowel movement. Now I feel like I want to go but just can't. I've got to take the Epsom Salts (mag. sulfate) on Thursday and I'm going to have a ducolax suppository for back up if needed. This time I'm just going to have to up the dose of Epsom Salts which will make me feel like hell for a couple of days afterwards until I'm able to rehydrate my body by drinking lots of fluids. Can't believe I'm saying this but can't wait for next weeks colonic irrigation LOL. Just two and half days of painfree symptom free 'normalcy' was great. And I'm still doing better now than I would be normally. You are right about the cost thought. It's so expensive. But I used to be a smoker a decade ago. I live in Australia and cigarettes are very expensive here and I worked out the other night that a weekly colonic would cost a little less than being a packet a day smoker. So I guess it's going to be my new 'habit.' deb

#38 alwayshappy

alwayshappy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:38 AM

debibsc,all the women with colonic inertia have a certain degree of pelvic floor dysfunction, for some it's more severe than others, but in 90% (according to statistics and i've seen it my self) the pelvic floor dysfunction can be overcome after the colectomy. those women who ended up with an ostomy, only one of them had her rectum removed prior to the ileostomy. it didn't work, so she opted for ileostomy.i'd say 90% success rate is a pretty good rate, and my drs say that although i have a minimal level of pelvic floor dysfunction, it won't bother me after the colectomy, cause women with worse cases of pelvic floor dysfunction than mine went through the colectomy and their results are great, so in my case chances are good i won't need an ostomy. besides, if i stay this way, it won't get bette on it's own and i have a 0% chance to have a life, but if i go for surgery i have 90% chance to finally regain the life i've so missed.but to be honest, i've thought about it A LOT and i've come to the conclusion that even if i end up with an ostomy, that's o.k, cause it'll truly be a better way to live than the way i am now. it sounds like you never had your functional problems figured out yet. to me it sounds like you have a severe obstruction/anatomic problem within the rectum and it could be that a simple procedure can fix that (don't feak out, lol, i mean a simple surgycal procedure in the rectum only and NOT a colectomy). in order to find out what exactly is wrong with your rectum there are tests like defecography, manometry and a u.s of the pelvic. these tests can show exactly wether you have a rectal prolapse, rectocele, enterocele, anismus. i highly recomend you do these tests, cause if it's an anatomic prob, like prolapse/rectocele/enterocele, then it's very important to take care of that and it's only a simple procedure, cause these probs tend to only get worse with time. i'm sorry, and i really don't mean to stress you out, but you see, if the rectum is prolapsed, for example, then no matter what diet you try it won't help, cause it's an anatomic prob that blocks the outlet and in the future even liquids won't be able to go through, cause with all the bearing down it continues to prolapse more and more over the yrs.i had MAJOR rectal prolapse and a small rectocele (due to all those yrs of constipation and bearing down) and i had that fixed 2 yrs ago with the starr procedure (just so you know the starr is good for prolapse and small rectoceles, but not for large rectoceles). before the starr i coulden't pass even liquids and even if i took the strongest laxative, it won't come out. but now when i take yobsalax that still helps some (it's from a health shop in israel), at least now when the stools finally reach the rectum it can pass. having my rectum fixed was a HUGE help, but again it's not enough in my case. but maybe in your case it's only the rectum and not the whole colon, so i'd say it's worth to try and see if that's the case with you. the more you postpone it the more you risk having more probs.i recomend you go to cleveland clinic, they are one of the best and specialize in these probs and have a lot of experience with functional probs in the digestive system, and if i lived in the USA i would defenately go there!i truly wish you the very best with any path you choose!!

#39 sarah jane

sarah jane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:37 AM

Hi Deb..the epsom salts routine you do sounds pretty awful..to feel so bad for so long after..there are so many oral options to try..I'm still a fan of MOM, as needed, a super generous slug of it..[4 tablspns]or mag citrate tabs..600 to1400mg...do you get miralax in Australia? you can take up to 4 doses in a day.. and it works if you end up taking that much..prune juice, sesame oil,apple cider vinegar..all worth trying..smooth move tea..any product w/cascara..the thing i can't stand more than anything is feeling the need to go and not being able to, so i'll go to any length to get a decent movement...small pebbles, as you described, sounds pitiful, and bearing down a lot is soo bad for the body after a while..enemas can help..so..having weekly colonics sounds like a really important way to go if this can keep you sane..and several colonics will gradually work away at old impactions, if that's what's got you plugged also. you said 'pebbles' so you may have solid back up in there.. A colonic tech told me some people can have up to 20# of old fecal matter in the colon.any body else got ideas re oral stuff that works?sj

#40 debibsc

debibsc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

Thanks always happy and Sarah-Jane,I've had a number of tests but none that you've mentioned so it's worth looking into, and I will. I do have dysautonomia -- dysfunction of the Autonomic Nervous System (ANS), which involves the sympathetic nervous system, the parasympathetic nervous system and the enteric nervous system. My specific form (although forms overlap so specific may not be the right word is Potsural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (P.O.T.S). The kicker is in the word 'Syndrome' which simply means a set of symtoms that can also very from person to person with POTS. Besides troule with staying upright and increased heartrate I get daily migraine, skin reactions to many things, growing numbers of allergies, inability for my body to regulate it's temperature properly -- I'm nearly always too hot and walking around in t-shirt when people are in sweaters -- and a colon that stopped working completely 4 years ago. I also have loss of sweating -- although this is returning. The biggest factor in these forms of dysautonomia is that sufferers ( hate that word) have to battle dehydration all the time -- we don't hang onto fluids. This causes a lot of prolems and one of them can be constipation. Because the body is dehydrated not enough water in the body and this extends to the colon of course. So dehydration and also the overaction of the parasympathetic nervous system alone could just be causing my problems. The fact that my ability to sweat is returning a bit after being absent for 6 years in encouraging. And the fact that I can get pebble bms this week is also, believe it or not encouraging -- my gastroentestonal system may just be starting to work again a bit. It IS possilbe then that my 'total' constipation problems will reverse themselves when my autonomic nervous system starts to work once again, in the way it should.We don't have MOM in Australia -- it's pretty much the same stuff as espsom salts but ES is a little stronger, and that's why the ES usually works for me --because it draws all the water from my body into my colon and turns everything to mush and I'm able to go -- usually. Although taking the water away from the rest of my body is heavy duty for my body as despite the huge amounts of water and salt I have to consume to stay hydrated I still easily dehydrate - and this is the worst state a pots person can be in. occasionally Epsom salts has not worked anyway. I'm due to try again tomorrow, larger dose as I said and hopefully it can work.Meanwhile I will ring and ask my gi about the tests you mentioned always happy to see what he has to say. He's a teaching specialist and knows his stuff but POTS and all other forms of dysautonomia have the doctors stumped.Sarah Jane, I havent' tried mag citrate yet. Found it hard to get in Aus so far but will try looking again today. All the other things you mentioned are high in salicylates and thus a no-no for me or I have tried them already. Except senna. Senna causes me to get a lot of pain with little result. It did work when I first started it -- was very effective when taking it with docusate but it only worked properly for a couple of weeks -- thought I'd found the holy grail only to be disappointed.One thing I have noticed about this bowel problem is that the longer it has gone on the more painful taking laxatives have become while losing effectiveness. Plus I have increasing gut pain levels also. And neither of the two gi's I've seen have ever thought to bring up the fact that constipation at this level can cause severe depression due to pain, interruption with a normal life schedule and all the things we have to do just to have a freaking bm. Although my gi assures me I have nothing 'atatomically wrong' he hasn't done the tests that you mentioned, alwayshappy. So I will get back to him about that. BTW, please, if I made you feel defensive about having a colorectomy I did not mean to do so. We know when we've had enough and as I said if I'd had this problem for 16 years like you I'd be exploring this option. I think I read that your docs had already recommended it. My gi (who is also a lecturer in his field at one of our top medical schools) does not do colorectomies and has explained his reasons to me.Your advice to have the other tests was great in my case. However, with the possiblity of the ANS returning to normal or even just symptoms morphing means that constipation may not always be a problem for me. In fact, I could suddenly kick into diarrehea mode if that sympathetic nervous systems stops 'underacting' (or in my case not acting) and kicks into overdrive or if the parasympathetic nervous system stops overworking and and slows down I could even see a return to normal. Either systems make up the larger ANS, as does the enteric system. This has happened to at least one other person with dys that I know of. Although if it continues and things become totally impossible to move along then I will have to rethink things. POTS can occur once and last for a couple of months or years never to occur again or it can wax and wane through your life or it can be the precuser to Pure Autonomic Failure which is a bit more serious. One in ten people with POTS go onto develop Multiple Systems Atrophy and that's curtains, unfortunately. I don't think this is going to happen to me and either does my pots specialist as I've had symptoms of pots (although only diagnosed with it not quite 3 years ago) on and off all through my life. They used to tell me it was 'all in my head' until I found some really top excellent docs who realized it couldn't possibly be all in my head. I'm very grateful to them for recognizing I do have this illness but I damn well wish they could come up with some permanent solutions to the many symptoms -- the constipation just being one of a number of symptoms. But dys docs just don't know enough about it yet even though much research is going on.Hope this all makes sense. Thank you to both of your imput, I really appreciate it and as I said will ask the gi about those added tests and try the mag. citrate (which as far as I can work out is magnesium with vitamin C or ascorbic acid -- is that right sarah-jane?).The whole thing is very complex. But what about our bodies isn't complex?deb

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here