Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

quick question

9K views 41 replies 8 participants last post by  debibsc 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
hellojust a quick question for those who have ibs-c... if you take the stuff the drs give you to clear out before a colonoscopy, does it clear you out?i'm asking, cause when i take it, it's just turns everything in the colon into water, but it stays in there and sloshes back and forth without coming out and it can last like that for DAYS!!did any of you have the same problem?thanks for you reply!!

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Usually once everything it turned to water it should come out pretty easily.Generally IBS-C types have near normal transit times so they may go 2-3 times a week without taking something. Mostly the colon can move things along, it just isn't always doing it in a way that is well coordinated. Mouth to out time will be close to the 72 hour maximum of the normal range.Colonic inertia has abnormal transit times. So they may go 2-3 times a month without taking something. The colon can't move things along anymore. Mouth to out time will often be 5 days or longer.The other issue is pelvic floor problems. If your pelvic floor won't relax to let things out that can also screw things up and keep things in and sloshing as you can't let it out.Does this mean they do not do your colonoscopy? If they are able to do it they do fill you up with air and that gas can sound or feel sloshy until it all comes out. I don't think we can really feel much difference between gas moving around and liquid moving around.

#3 ·
thank you Kathleen for your reply!!well, the situation with me is that i don't even feel the urge to go at all for at least a week - 10 days. i just feel really full, bloated and gassy. my transit time test showed all markers still in the left colon and don't even reach the rectum after 10 days. the x ray i took after 5 days showed they were all in my transeverse colon, after 7 days they started reaching the left colon and after 10 days they were all in my left colon not reaching the rectum yet, so i guess it shows exactly why i don't feel any urge to go.i'm just really confused as for wether i have ibs-c or colonic inertia. my drs recomend i have a colectomy, so i guess i'm just trying to make sure that i'm not making the biggest mistake of my life going for surgery. i've had this situation going for 16 yrs now and it's only getting worse and worse. i've tried all kinds of diets, increased my water intake up to 3 liters a day, doing sports, tried abdominal massages at a osteopath (sp?), colonics and non of those helped. it only continue to get worse. i just want to go for surgery when i feel most sure it's the right thing to do.thanks again.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sitz makers should be out in 3 days.Your results sounds like colonic inertia to me.That they are recommending a colectomy also sounds like colonic inertia to me. They don't recommend that for IBS-C.Surgery usually is a last resort even for colonic inertia because you can't put it back and there can be issues with pain from the internal scars or adhesions. So there usually is some tipping point where the pain and risk of doing nothing is worth the risk of the surgery.Have you had pelvic floor testing? Sometimes they make sure that if you got stuff to the end in a normal time you will be able to pass it.IBS does have a tendency to come and go. I think colonic inertia pretty much seems to only get worse. Most of what you have tried would only help IBS-C rather than colonic inertia. They are worth trying as sometimes people can get enough movement to get more years of functioning out of the colon.

#5 ·
well actually, i had a prolapse and rectocele repair couple of yrs ago. had the pelvic tests before the surgery and i had them again post op like defecography, manomatry and a U.S of the pelvic. now after the surgery they're o.k except that they show i have a certain level of anismus, but not too bad and my drs say it won't come in my way post colectomy.... i sure hope so
it's all just so scary...

#6 ·
That definitely sounds like calssic colonic inertia. I have it, too. It pretty much never goes away. I have avoided the surgery thus far with pretty aggressive "conventional" treatments. I am guessing that I will eventually have to have a subtotal colectomy at some point later in life. Not looking forward to that at all.

#7 ·
yeah, i know exactly how you feel.. i'm having hard time excepting it too. how long have you been suffering from it? it's just so hard to believe that that's our only potion. how do you manage every day? i'm having a real hard time.. i can't have normal life with this problem. it takes over my life and i'm in pain most of the time, bloated and the laxatives hardly help me, i'm really miserable. are you able to have relief still?i wish you the best of luck with anything you decide to do!!!

#8 ·
I have been suffering with it for over half of my life. I had a lot of constipation issues as a kid, but no one ever thought much about it, even though I had some pretty awful and frequent stomach aches. The constipation became chronic at about age 16 and I started seeing a gastroenterologist who did a battery of tests. He kept trying to treat it by filling me up with fiber - which did not help. Finally, he put me on a combination stool softener and stimmulant laxative that worked. When I was 25, I finally got a diagnosis of colonic inertia from a new gastroenterologist at a university teaching hospital. He thought to do a Sitzmark study in addtion to everything else. All 24 markers were still in me after five days. A repeat showed the same thing. I am 37 now and things are no better. I have taken almost everything known to man including Zelnorm before it was taken off of the market. Nothing has helped consistently. I go twice a week now with the help of the only thing that seems to work - Dulcolax. I use the tablets most of the time, but also take Dulcolax suppositories when the tablets are not convenient. It seems that a stimulant lax is the only thing that gets my colon to contract. How long that will continue to work is anyone's guess. I can also get a large (2 quart) tap water enema to work if I don't do them too often. My system seems to get used to them and they lose effectiveness if I do one too often. When that happens, I have trouble getting enough water to go up my colon and get painful cramps. Then I seem to have trouble getting it all to come back out in a reasonable amount of time.

#9 ·
it all sounds so familiar. i'm still hoping to find some miracle to help me. i saw the post about the source naturals women's life force multiple vitamin and was very impressed at how it helped so many on this board. kinda tempted to build a new hope.. did you see that post? what do think about it, do you think it can help us? i live in israel, and the only pharmacy i know that orders source naturals products said they'll have to order it for me and it'll take about a month for it to get here. i'm gonna give it a shot.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
היי lookinforalifeמצאתי את זה בבית מרקחת ברעננה בית מרקחת בר אילן ברח' בר אילן 29 טל 097487525לפי האתר של החברה שמייצרת את הויטמינים, נראה שזה המקום היחיד בארץ שמייבא מוצרים שלהם. הם לא מחזיקים את כל הסוגים כל הזמן אבל איזה סוג ספציפי שאתה רוצה הם מזמינים ותוך 3 שבועות בערך זה אמור להגיע. תתקשר מהר אולי הם יצרפו את ההזמנה שלך לשלי!!בהצלחה!!!תעדכן אותי אם הצלחתאל תשכח לבקש ללא ברזל

#13 ·
היי,מאיזה בעיה בדיוק את סובלת אם זה בסדר שאני שואלת? אני למשל, סובלת מחוסר יציאות ספונטניות, כלומר אין לי יציאות ספונטניות והרופאים מציעים לי ניתוח לכריתת המעי הגס. במה מתבטאת העצירות שלך?

#14 ·
הזמנתי את זה ואמרו לי שיגיע תוך חודש. נותר לי רק לחכות. קראתי למעלה את הסיפור שלך וההצעה של כריתת מעי הגס באמת נשמע קיצונ, אך מאידך גם הסמפטומים שלך קיצוניים. אם רופא המליץ לך על ניתוח אז הוא כנראה השתכנע שזה הכרחי. אצלי הרופאים דווקא לא מספיק מתייחסים לסבל שלי ברצינות ואומרים לי "זה תסמונת המעי הרגיז. תלמדי לחיות עם זהץ" מה שכמובן לא עוזר בכלל. גם אני סובלת מעצירות קשה שהיתה כרונית כמה מספר שנים לפני שפיתחתי מעי רגיז. בעבר היתה לי יציאה פעם בשבוע או אפילו קרוב לפעם בשבועיים. היום המצב השתפר בעזרת מגנזיום סיטראט של סולגר, 1200 מ"ג ליום. אבל אפילו כשיש לי יציאות זה לא מעלים את הבעיות האחרות: נפיחות, גזים, בחילות, כאבים חזקים בבטן התחתונה, קשיי שינה, הפרעות בריכוז ובזיכרון, חוסר יכלת לסבול כ-95% ממאכלים.ניסיתי כבר הרבה מאוד טיפולים "טבעיים" ומלבד הומיופטיה שעזרה קצת תקופה מסויימת, כלום לא עזר. אם הייתי חושבת שניתוח היה יכול לפתור את בעיותיי הייתי עושה את זה, אבל איך בדיוק מתפקדים ללא מעי גס?נראה שהבעיה של שתינו קשורה לתנועתיות לקויה של מערכת העיכול. הרופאה שלי מנסה לשכנע אותי זמן רב לנסות תרופות אנטידיכאוניות ורשמה לי מרשם לציפרלקס. זה אמור לשפר את התנועתיות במעיים לאחר כחודשיים, אני רק מפחדת לנסות בגלל תופעות הלוואי. האם זה משהו שכבר ניסית? אם לא, אולי תנסי לפני שתקבעי תור לניתוח.

#15 ·
בס"דהיי,בדיוק אתמול התקשרו אלי מהבית מרקחת להגיד לי שזה הגיע, אני חושבת שזה לקח רק שבועיים מאז שהזמנתי, אז יכול להיות שלא תתצטרכי לחכות הרבה.אני כ"כ מבינה את התסכול שבתשובה "יש לך מעי רגיז, תלמדי לחיות עם זה.." גם לי הרופאים אמרו בהתחלה שזה מעי רגיז, אבל מה שאת אומרת יציאה פעם בשבוע-שבועיים זה בעצם מאוד דומה למצב שלי.. האם זה היה מצב קבוע או שמדי פעם היו תקופות באמצע שזה היה משתנה? (משתנה, הכוונה בלי משלשלים, כמובןהאם הלכת לקבל כמה חוות דעת? איזה בירור עשית? הרי הבעיה שלנו היא יותר בעיה תפקודית מאשר מחלה אורגנית, האם עשית בדיקות תפקודיות, כגון: זמן מעבר במעי הגס, דפקוגרפיה, מנומטריה, אולטראסאונד פריאנלי, חוקן בריום?בעזרת בדיקות אלה אפשר לאתר איפה בדיוק הבעיה בחוסר ההתרוקנות - אם זה כל המעי לא מתפקד או שיש רק הפרעה ברקטום.במה מתבטאת העצירות שלך? האם את מרגישה צורך וזה פשוט לא יוצא בשום אופן, או שאת יכולה להתסתובב ימים שלמים בלי להרגיש אפילו שום צורך ליציאה, אבל הבטן, כמובן נפוחה וכואבת? אני שואלת את זה, כי אם רוב הזמן את כן מרגישה צורך ממשי ליציאה, אבל זה פשוט תקוע ובשום אופן לא יוצא, אז במקרה זה סביר להניח שהמעי עובד טוב וישנה רק הפרעה ברקטום עצמו, אבל אם את יכולה לעבור ימים ושבועות בלי אפילו להרגיש צורך ממשי ליציאה, מלבד הרגשה לא נוחה ואף כואבת בבטן, אז זה יכול להיות קולוניק אינרשיהאני מניחה כי עשית כבר קולונסקופיה? האם גם לך קרה שהמרוקן שנותנים לשתות כהכנה פשוט נשאר בפנים? זה פשוט מעניין אותי לשאול כמה שיותר אנשים עם עצירות אם זה קרה להם גם, כי זה יכול לעזור לי לברר אם אכן המצב שלי קיצוני שמצדיק ניתוח, או שיש עוד אנשים שהחומר הזה פשוט לא משפיע עליהם? מעניין.... כל הבעיות של חוסר זיכרון וחוסר ריכוז התחילו אצלי בדיוק באותו זמן שבעיית העצירות הופיעה!! את חושבת באמת שיש קשר? לגבי הסיפור שלך... בגלל שאת מדווחת על כאבים בבטן תחתונה, יש סיכוי לא קטן שאצלך זה רק הפרעה ברצפת האגן - כלומר ברקטום בלבד. אני מאוד מקווה שזה כל הסיפור אצלך. האם עברת לידות? האם הן היו טראומטיות? אם עדיין לא עשית את הבדיקות שרשמתי לך, אני ממליצה לך מאוד לעשות אותם, ואם רופא הגסטרו שלך לא משתף פעולה, אפשר ללכת לרופא אחר, אני הלכתי דרך המושלם למבין הרופאים הכי טובים בארץ ופשוט ביקשתי את הבדיקות האלה. גם לי הרופא הנוכחי שלי הציע ציפרלקס, אבל אני לא מוכנה. אין בזה שום בושה, אבל אני עדיין לא חושבת שאני זקוקה להם.באופן כללי ובקצרה, אחרי שכורתים את המעי הגס, יש תוצאה של שילשולים מרובים, מכיוון שהמעי הגס תפקידו לספוח את כל המים מהצואה ובכך למצק אותה וכשאין מעי גס, אין מה שימצק את הצואה. אבל המעי הדק לומד עם הזמן לעשות גם את התפקיד הזה ואחרי כמה חודשים בעיית השילשולים אמורה להתמתן.מצאתי פורום עם עשרות בנות שעברו כריתה של המעי הגס עקב עצירות כרונית קשה ורוב התוצאות הן די מוצלחות, שזה מעודד, אבל יש גם סיפורים עצובים שזה לא הצליח ויש גם - אולי 10% מהבנות שבסופו של דבר לא הייתה להן ברירה והיו צריכות לעבור לסטומה לכל החיים.לי עדיין אין ממש תאריך לניתוח. הייתה התייעצות לפני כחודש וחצי של 5 רופאים שדנו על המקרה שלי והם אמרו שאכן יש מקום לניתוח, אבל הם רוצים שאני אראה פסיכיאטר קודם שיאשר שאני כשירה ויציבה נפשית לעבור ניתוח כזה. פשוט עוד לא חזרו אלי לגבי קביעת פגישה עם הפסיכיאטר וזה לוקח כבר יותר מדי זמן.הייתי מאוד שמחה לדבר איתך, אם את מרגישה נוח עם זה.. הטל שלי 0503091239סליחה על המגילה..

#16 ·
במשך שנים העצירות היה מצב קבוע למדי מלמבד בתקופות בהם לקחתי "עזרים" בכדי להקל ובמשך תקופת המחזור גם היתה הקלה טבעית. היום עם המגנזיום זה פחות או יותר הסתדר כל עוד אני ממשיכה לקחת. הבעיה היא שאפילו כשבעיית העצירות "נפתרת" בדרך זו, נותרות הבעיות הנוספות הקשורות למעי הרגיז, כך שלא נראה לי שטיפול בעצירות יפתור לי את כל הבעיות. במידה ואין לי יציאות, אני פשוט לא מרגישה צורך פיזי בכך בכלל.הלכתי לקבל חוות דעת ממספר רופאי גסטרו שלא היו מוכנים להתייחס אליי ברצינות. אמרו לי לאכול יותר סיבים ושלחו אותי לדרכי.רק כשהלכתי לרופא מומחה באופן פרטי (עלה לי הון), הוא נתן לי בדיקת סיגמודוסקופיה (לא גילה גבר) ולאחר תחנונים רבים קיבלתי אנדוסקופיה באמצעות קפסולה שבדק רק את המעי הקטן ודווח על זמן מעבר תקין.על רבים מבין הבדיקות שהצעת מעולם לא שמעתי ולא הציעו לי. עברתי הרבה בדיקות לשלילת בעיה אורגנית .אבל אפילו קולונוסקופיה לא עברתי כי אמרו לי שזה מיותר והאמת כל הבדיקות החודרניות האלה מפחידות אותי נורא ולא הייתי מתעקשת על בדיקה סיוטית.שתיתי מי מרוקן לבדיקת האנדוסקופיה באמצעות קפסולה שעשיתי והמים לא נשארו בפנים כמו בסיפור שלך.לגבי בעיות בריכוז וזיכרון אין לי ספק שקיים קשר ביניהם לבין בעיות במערכת העיכול. דבר משפיע על דבר.אגב, לא עברתי הריונות.האם ישנן בדיקות שהמלצת עליהן שלא היו כואבות או חודרניות מדי? קשה לי להאמין שהבעיה מסתכמת בחוסר פעילות נורמטיבית של חלק מאוד ספציפי של המעי בגלל ריבוי הסמפטומים שלי ללא קשר ליציאות. אגב, הדבר שאולי הכי מפריע לי זה שאני כמעט לא מצליחה לאכול דבר מבלי לקבל "התקפה" של גזים , נפיחות וכאבים שברגע שזה מתחיל יכול להמשיך אפילו מספר שבועות!מי רופא הגסטרו שלך אגב?האם הבנות שעברו כריתת מעי הגס עדיין סבלו אח"כ מתסמיני המעי הרגיז?בכ"ז האופציה של ציפרלקס נראה לי פחות קיצוני מהניתוח!תודה על מס' הטלפון. אולי באמת נשוחח בהזדמנות .

#20 ·
well, have been to few drs, they didn't give me much hope, the first one said that nothing's wrong with me and it's all in my head, the second one said it's just IBS and i should learn to live with it, the 3rd one did more tests and said i have a major prolapse of the rectum + a 2.5 cm rectocele and that should be fixed, but as my colon is also not working and should be removed (that was the first time i heard this and was in REAL shock!!), he said he didn't want to treat me, cause he's affraid he'll make things worse. i asked him over and over how it could hurt me if he fixes the rectum, but he didn't really give me an answer. so he simply said.."i can't help you.." i was sooooooo shocked and discouraged that i couldn't stop crying for weeks.to make a long story short, i found dr Ron Greenberg, a colorectal surgoen and he took me to a consultation with him at proffesor (sp?) Zamir Halperin, the head of the gastroenterology ward in ichilov hosp and dr. Roi Dekel, a gi from ichilov too. now they are all examining my case. also dr Ron Ishay is examining my case too.i really think you should have these tests done. if you want, you can either e mail me at hodaya@orange.net.il or call me and i can explain those tests to you. really there's nothing to be affraid of. i think it can really help you.about the chiparlex, i don't think it will solve my constipation issues.

#22 ·
hi Postmortem,i'm not sure what you know or don't know, so i'll tell you what i know.constipation can be caused by few obstractive probs in the rectum, such as: rectal prolapse that blocks the stools from passing, rectocele - which is a prolapse of the wall that's separates between the rectum and vagina and a kind of a pocket is created towards the vagina. this pocket get filled with stools that can't come out, anismus - in a normal way, our pelvic is sqweezed in a certain level in order to prevent our secretes from pouring out without control. for this job we have a muscle called the "puborectalis", which holds our rectum, vagina and bladder from bein too loose. now, when there's a bm, then this muscle MUST relax and by relaxing it allows the stool to pass. in anismus the problem is that when there's a bm the muscle paradoxicaly sqeezes even more and not allowing the stools to pass, enterocele - a situation in which there's kind of a prolapse of the small bowel and they just press on the pelvic and this presure causes inability to pass stools (not quite sure if the info i have on the enterocele is accurate though) - these are the obstractive probs within the pelvic, and they are all defined as a pelvic floor dysfunction.there's also a condition where the whole colon doesn't function, a condition that also called colonic inertia, or slow transit constipation, if that's the case, the whole colon should be removed. usually, ppl (it happens mostly to women rather than men) who have colonic inertia also tend to develope a pelvic floor dysfunction, due to the long yrs of being constipated and bearing down.now, i had a rectal prolapse and a rectocele (had that fixed 2 yrs ago with the STARR procedure), BUT i also have colonic inertia, which means that fixing the rectum only can't solve my problems, so in that case there's no other choice but to have my colon removed as well (and to hope the results are successful). it's important to fix the rectum as well, cause it's like if the plumbing is not working then it should be removed, but if the fauced is also broken, then it should be fixed too!! i assume that the dr who told me that he can't help me, said that only b/c he didn't want to deal with this type of prob. i got the impression that there are certain drs that don't want to deal with ppl with colonic inertia w/pelvic floor dysfunction, but that's o.k, cause there are many other great drs that ARE willing to deal with it. just have to find the right drs.hope that answers your question.

#23 ·
Hi, Wow, you sure seem to have alot of info on this subject. Sounds like you've been through alot dealing with it. Is constipation your only symptom or do you have others alongside of it such as nausea, intestinal hypersensitivity, indigestion and so on? I have so many different symptoms that I dont think that in my case just dealing with the constipation would help all that much. I feel ill even when I'm all cleaned out.

#24 ·
hi, i've learned some about my prob, which involves the pelvic floor and the colon, but i don't know much about probs in the upper digestive system though. i don't get nausous or have any more probs, except for not having any spontaneous bms, so i get real gasy, bloated, crampy and uncomforatble. most days the pain is so bad that i can't stand straight. i feel o.k only when i keep empty. so i eat only breakfast everyday and i have a cup of black coffee at 4 pm and that's it. some days i get hungry and eat more, so then i'm hurging BAD. on sabbath i eat all 3 mealls and then i take the yobsolax that helps a lot to make me go. if i eat 3 meals every day, i'll won't be able to function or go to work at all.what i do know is that there's a condition where the small intestine are slow and there's a condition called gastroparasis (sp?) where the stomach is also very slow and ppl who have these probs can feel really nausous all the time and feel really full even after eating a single peanutd, cause it takes their stomach and small intestines way too long to empty. were you dxed with gastroparasis? fortunately, i don't have these issues, but i've talked to ppl who all their dygestive system is slow from esophogus to rectum. they always feel nausous and full like they've just have a feast. they also vomit (involuntary) if they eat a little more than they should. do you have that prob too? and oh yes, i've just remembered that i've read that these ppl are usually prescribed with reglan. do you take that medicine too?

#25 ·
It sounds awful to eat so little throughout the day! I live on a very limited diet and eat a little for every meal. What has helped me and might actually work in your case as well is drinking Ensure Plus energy drinks during the day. Each has the caloric value of a meal and is filled with vitamins, is well absorbed and can actually have a mild laxative effect. It saved me from anorexia when all this began.From your description it does not sound like what you have falls under the category of IBS.I have only been diagnosed as having IBS. My docs won't prescribe me anything besides antidepressants. I'm not nausous all the time, but some of the time. Sometimes I'm full without eating a thing and sometimes I'm starving. I never vomit.For some reason alhtough I try to stick to my diet, my condition seems to get worse during the Sabbath. Strange...I'd love to try the Reglan, I just need to find a doc who'll prescribe it to me! Do they carry it in Israel?

#26 ·
couple of comments..having your colon removed seems like a drastic choice.I can appreciate that you may already have tried every avenue you possibly can, and that having surgery seems like the only remaining choice.and i don't want to project my own feelings about this on to you, when it may have taken you a really long and sober length of time to come to this decision.I am a nurse by background, and have taken care of patients who have had total colectomies, and now live for the rest of their lives with a bag at their waist.you have so much of the rest of your life ahead of you, and medical progress is always developing by leaps and bounds.once you let them take your colon there's no going back, and this will be a devastating loss for you to cope with.SJ

#28 ·
hi Sarah-Jane,For myself, I feel exactly the same way. I don't want my colon removed. I keep thinking that they will find an answer for my problem and that I'm just going to have to battle on best I can until then, if possible. And I don't have any bms without strong laxatives and now, not even those it seems.This week, after taking the one laxative that usually doesn't fail me actually did fail, and following it up with a fleet enema used in desperation to get things moving also failed, I was very upset and distressed. Then on Thursday I had my first colonic irrigation (I figured what had I to loose except a whole lot of fecal matter if lucky) and it feels like it has emptied me out well. I was careful to research a reputable place and the person who conducted the colonic was great -- also massaging my stomach the whole time. It's Saturday afternoon now and I still feel well. I'm going to continue along this road. I'll try the Epsom Salts again next week (can't get an appointment for colonic irrigation because Easter is coming up here) but have a follow up for a colonic the following week. Hopefully this will be the answer. My gi prescribed his 'last resort' for me -- colgout. A medication for gout that also causes a lot diarrhea in people with gout. I was wary of taking it as I didn't know what I'd do if it didn't work, and also because it can cause some liver problems and you have to be tested for those fairly regularly, as I understand it.I don't want to lose any more organs if I can help it. The thought of a colorectomy scares me. And I'm not exactly young. I'm 53. Once it's out they can't put it back in.deb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.