#1 leeballz

leeballz

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

Advertisement
Hello all. I just joined this forum so I apologize if someone has already posted a similar problem, but I am in great need of some help.I have had IBS my entire life. I've never been able to pin point it towards any specific foods but I'm used to eating something, then getting really bad stomach cramps, then having to go to the bathroom. I usually feel better after the BM.But 3 1/2 months ago something changed. I have had this constant (I mean, 24/7) pressure in my upper abdomen, right below my ribcage. It also tends to move into my chest so I have such great pressure that I feel like I can't fully breathe. I've seen many doctors and a GI and all tests have come back negative. They did find some small gallstones and a hiatal hernia, but I've been on antacids for the entire 3 months, but they have not helped at all. My main symptom is this extreme pressure. It feels like there could be gas in there but I haven't been able to relieve it for almost 4 months! I literally haven't had a moment where I didn't feel the pressure.Has ANYONE else had this same problem?? Doctors keep telling me it's probably IBS and "non-ulcer dyspepsia" related (so basically nothing serious) and I have been doing my best to eat right, but I really can't live with all this pressure much longer. It feels like my stomach is expanding and coming up into my chest, and everything I eat seems to make it worse.If anyone has had this problem PLEASE let me know, I'm desperate for help!Thank you, -Leeann

Advertisement

#2 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

Perhaps Google sphincter of Oddi dysfunction.
---------------------------------
-->IBS INDUCED BY NSAIDS NAPROXEN
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
-Permanent discomfort/cecum&sigmoid stuck/trapped gas-
---->IBS-Type constipation normal transit time(diagnose with non-relaxing puborectalis december 2005)
--->Pubic nevralgia
***WORST PERMANENTLY SINCE RIFAXIMIN

#3 Guest_Petrushe_*

Guest_Petrushe_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

Hi,I have just joined this forum today and reading through all the messages, I am finding that I am not alone with all this pain, bloating, gas etc.I've suffered by IBS for about 10 years now and I've had most of the syndroms. I know what you mean by preassure in upper abdomen. I usually get it in the late afternoon or evening. I did not work out how to release the pain yet, it is not exactly the same as gas that I can just let go out and it helps a bit. This bloating in upper abdomen really hurts and makes me not being able to inhale fully. In the night it stops me from sleeping and makes me cry. I feel very low and desperate for help too. I wish my partner understands more.I am sorry I cannot help you, but at least, I can understand what you are experiencing. It is really awful, but you are not alone!I wish you get some relieve soon!Petrushe

#4 leeballz

leeballz

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:29 AM

Petrushe,It feels nice every time someone responds to me saying they have the same symptoms (which isn't that often). It's been really hard dealing with this upper abdominal pressure because I have no idea what's causing it, which makes it difficult to treat it. It's been about 4 months of dealing with this pressure and the only thing I can really say about it is that over time (mainly the past couple weeks) it seems to slowly be getting better. I haven't really done anything in particular to ease the pressure/bloating feeling in my upper stomach except take digestive enzymes before meals, drinking aloe vera gel with juice each day, and probiotics (and just trying to eat healthier). I also drink ginger tea which seems to help. if i'm really feeling bad, I take half an ativan, which seems to relax my muscles and make me feel like i can breathe better.I know what you mean when you say it's not exactly the same as gas, because I cannot seem to burp or release it at all- it's just this "pressure" or fullness feeling right below the ribcage.This problem has also caused my IBS to be more in the C category, which I've never really dealt with til now. I usually had problems more with cramping and D, but lately I find I'm hardly able to go to the bathroom (i probably go every couple days now). And now that I have this constipation, this contributes more to the crampy, gassy, bloating feeling, all over my stomach area.Anyway, what tests have you had done? So far doctors have said I could have acid reflux, or it could be my gallbladder, or something called "non-ulcer dyspepsia." But they haven't given me any sort of real diagnosis and I've stopped seeing doctors for a while. I guess I figure since they didn't find anything serious, it must be related to my IBS and sour stomach, and I'm just self medicating right now. It's hard, but feel free to talk with me anytime you need! I certainly have gotten relief through talking to others on this forum.-Leeann

#5 RedJohn

RedJohn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:00 PM

Hi. I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to let you know that I have the exact same symptoms as you. It's driving me crazy. Have you found any relief??

#6 Jackmat

Jackmat

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:10 PM

leeballz,Just for two days try restricting yourself to a very bland diet. No fat, no oil, no cheese, no nuts etc.Eat something along the lines of boiled chicken, boiled rice, steamed vegies. Document what you eat and how you feel.See how you go. Jackmat
J A C K M A T

MY RECOVERY STORY ...... http://www.ibsgroup....535#entry810535

#7 eternalpain

eternalpain

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:29 AM

Hello leeballz, petrushe & heathermes,I am so glad I found this thread as I've been suffering with the pressure in the upper abdomen for several weeks and have been getting really worried it was serious. I was diagnosed with IBS 4 years ago but usually have pain in the lower left quadrant.However, this pressure is terrible, I feel as though I have an inflated balloon in my chest and its so painful, I think I'm about to "pop". I have to see a gastroenterologist but, theres no appointments at present & I may have to wait up to 11 weeks!! I had a CT scan about 6 weeks ago and that was clear.Have any of you found anything to help yet? I'm getting desperate with being in pain and not being able to get comfortable. Do you find difficulty in lying on your side? I also find walking painful as my pressure feels worse.I'd appreciate your support and anything you've found that helps. Many thanks, best wishesPatsy

#8 vegangothkittie

vegangothkittie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:26 PM

Oh god I know how you feel!I'm dying here. My IBS is so bad. I have severe pressure in my stomache and chest. It feels like a swallowed a watermelon whole.It's like that 24/7 too. I can't find a doc that will help. I've been trying everything from eating fennel seeds with meals and candied ginger, doing yoga,I follow this diet vegan style http://...com ,drinking lots of really strong mint fennel chamomile tea, walking, ab exercises, drinking apple cider vinegar. Nothing will get rid of it. All the gas is trapped. It's so unbearable and I look like I'm seven months pregnant.:(

#9 GracieMet

GracieMet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:55 PM

Im right there with all of you!! Ive had these exact tsame feelings for 6 full months. i carried on as normal for 4 and then one day i just broke and ever since im afraid to eat and cry quite a bit. I was only diagnosed with IBS yesterday, so im really trying to stay positive. What can i say? Its a scary experiance

#10 seoreh

seoreh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:51 AM

HII have the same symptoms, how do you feel now, I would like to communicate with you as I have the symptoms and it's terrible! I get stressed very easily and think it's all connected. thanks!Lisa

#11 seoreh

seoreh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:42 AM

HI I am having the same symptoms as you were. Are you feeling better? My symptoms started when I got very stressed a few weeks ago. Upper abdominal pressure that goes and comes, feels like air trapped there. I haven't been diagnosed but would like to connect with you and see how you are!thanks so much!Lisa

#12 seoreh

seoreh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:46 AM

HII read your message on the IBS group message board. I have the same symptoms as you had posted and I wondered if you feel better or found what caused this feeling of pressure? I also wake up with w feelign of pressure like air in the upper stomach but can't get it out!Thanks so much,Lisa

#13 What a Life

What a Life

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:09 PM

Hi I currently have the same problem, but I'm fairly certain I know the root of it. I do have Crohn's disease, but I keep it under control fairly well. When I'm on a probiotic for more than a week or two, my stomach gets very bloaty and I feel tremendous pressure that really makes me just want to give up whatever I'm doing. This happened to me before and I stopped all my medication and go better.... Now, I started taking a probiotic again and the pain is back. I stopped taking my probiotic yesterday and I am starting to feel a little bit better already. I say, try laying off the probiotics for a week or two and see if the pressure is relieved at all. I dont care how good probiotics are for you, if they make you feel as crappy as I did/do, they aren't worth it! It may not be the source of your problem, but stop taking them and see how you feel. I'll be interested in seeing if that helps you!

#14 cherrypie09

cherrypie09

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:24 AM

HiI am so bloated and it feels like someone is in my upper stomach and chest pushing their way out. So much pressure, makes it difficult to take deep breaths, if i had a pin and could pop my stomach it would be fine, I dont know what is causing it, burping doesnt help not that i can do that much, nor can i fart, had a CT scan a few weeks back, waiting for results, ive IBS-D.

#15 What a Life

What a Life

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:14 PM

Does anybody feel that the pressure starts to build more on the left side on the stomach than work its way up towards the chest and rib cage?

#16 madge

madge

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:03 PM

My upper abdomen gets so bloated after dinner each evening that I can't stand a waistband. I also get a tickly cough that lasts for an hour or so. Doctor says it's probably that my acid reflux is getting getting worse and I may have to take stronger meds. I do know that reflux and GERD can cause the feeling that your stomach is bloated, and also the sensation that food is stuck in your chest. I have IBS-C also. Bummer to have both. Really have to watch what I eat. By the way, if you have acid reflux, or might have it, mint is one of the worst things you can use. It actually causes more acid reflux because it relaxes the top stomach valve so more acid gets in your esophagus. Tomatoes, Citrus, Chocolate, and coffee or tea are also problem foods. So are fatty, fried, and spicy ones. Avoiding those foods and eating more frequent, smaller meals helps a lot.

#17 eternalpain

eternalpain

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:38 AM

HiMy upper abdomen & lower abdomen both get really bloated its horrible. I feel like I've got a balloon in there getting bigger & bigger its painful & ruining my life. I can't find anything to help the pain or the bloating & am getting very "down" with it.I had a gastroscopy on Wednesday & they took biopsies & also diagnosed oesophagitis & hiatus hernia so I'm waiting to see the gastro consultant again when the full results are back.Does anyone else feel that the pain is so bad they can't do "normal" things like shopping, ironing etc? I've had this for months now & am so fed up.This site keeps me sane!Best wishes to all fellow sufferers.Patsy

#18 eternalpain

eternalpain

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:49 AM

Hi allMy lower abdomen was so bad last night I thought I was going to burst! The pressure & pain was so bad I cried all evening. This morning its slightly better but still bloated & sore. I'm so depressed, anyone got any ideas for easing the pain & bloating? :( Thanks :)

#19 leeballz

leeballz

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:45 AM

Hello all!Sorry I haven't responded in a long time- I haven't been on here much lately because my problems have sorta (somehow) subsided. I've been dealing with headaches now which override any stomach problems i have =( Needless to say it's been a miserable 6 months.Anyway- to be honest with all of you, I haven't done hardly anything at all to deal with the pressure feeling I was having 24/7 in my upper abdomen. It lasted constantly for about 4 months, then slowly would come and go day by day. I still get the feeling maybe once a day, or only a few times a week, but I still don't know what causes it.BUT something that I find helped me greatly whenever the pressure seemed too great (it would move into my chest and make me feel short of breath) I would take 1/2 an ativan (aka lorazepam) and if anything, it would relax my stomach muscles and chest muscles and ease the pressure for me. I still use this often. This pill is also used for anxiety, which I know wasn't the cause for the pressure, but it at least made me feel more relaxed and know I wasn't going to burst or stop breathing.I also NEVER eat full meals anymore- I always try to eat small meals because if I eat too much in one sitting then the pressure is bad and I feel like it all sits in my stomach. I get super full and the pressure comes back so I'm careful not to overeat.Really other than that I have no answers for anyone- I saw lots of doctors and had lots of tests done but no real diagnosis. I have a small hiatal hernia and gallstones but neither were really directly linked to this "pressure" problem. OH but during the peak of my stomach pressure problems, I was also suffering from IBS-C alot, which I felt could have been related... (I "fixed" my IBS-C with the women's life force vitamin supplement which you can find a LONG post on in the IBS-C forum). Keep me posted on how you all are coping! I wish you the best of luck because I know how horrible the pressure feeling is!!!!!!!!-Leeann

#20 cherrypie09

cherrypie09

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:48 AM

This pain/pressure in my upper abdomin is realy getting to me, its a cross between cramping, gas, and indigestion, it still feels like there is a little man inside me, pushing hard to try and get out. Its not easing at all.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here