91 replies to this topic

#21 tonyboy

tonyboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:00 PM

Advertisement
hey all,i'm 24 and i'm sooo glad that i'm not the only one that is suffering from this presure buildup in the upper stomach, i have been suffering with this for the past 3 month's and not able to find a cure, i don't have IBS but yes i have the same symptoms as you all,to make matters worse for me i suffer from depresion, anxiety and panic attacks i also have a sleeping disorder so i'm finding it extreamly hard to live life.....what i find odd that i read you guys don't have is i don't have any presure when i wake up in the morning it comes back 20 mins after i eat something and stays with me till i finally manage to fall asleep at night (if i fall asleep) if anyone knows how to release this presure plz do saygood luck to you all

Advertisement

#22 caw001

caw001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:32 PM

Hello,My name is Chad and I am 36 years old. I have been reading these posts and find that I have a lot in common with most of you.The last few years, I began noticing that my stomach would start burring during certain periods of the day. One night, I had so much pain in my stomach and chest, I ended up in the emergency room. I thought I was having a heart attack and it felt like a balloon was trying to pop in my stomach area. I was admitted in the hospital for a week. They ran many tests and it was discovered that I have a fatty liver and a hiatus hernia. They treated me with morphine and Dilaudid while I was hospitalized. These actually made me feel worse and I asked that they not give me any more pain medication. To be perfectly honest, the only think that seemed to work was Alprazolam (Xanax).When I was discharged from the hospital, I was put on a Probiotic Supplement called Align. I was also give a prescription from my Doctor for Dicyclomine (Bentyl) to stop spasms in my abdomen and Omeprazole (Prilosec) to stop acid. These all seemed to be working fine and I thought I had everything under control up until about two weeks ago. Then, I started having a lot of pressure in my stomach area and ribs. Sometimes it makes it hard to breath. I went back to the Doctor and he X-rayed my abdomen. The doctor told me that I was full of gas and poop. He gave me a prescription for Magnesium Citrate 1.745 GM/30ML to flush my system out. I had to do it twice in a row (24 hours apart) and I felt great! Then, he instructed me to take Miralax Powder 1 tbsp daily and drink lots of water. This worked great until I ate something, then the same bloating/full feeling came back along with pressure in my chest. It feels like I am full of something and sometimes it feels like there is something caught in my throat.I am going to discontinue taking the Align. I really think that this has to be doing something to make things worse. It worked for the first few weeks. But, I am going to stop with it. I am going to change my diet and cut out all meat. My pain is worse when I eat meat. Also, I will continue with the Miralax Powder, Dicyclomine (Bentyl), and Omeprazole (Prilosec).Tonight it is uncomfortable. I am going to take in addition to everything else, 0.5 MG of Alprazolam (Xanax). I think that stress has a lot to do with this and that the Alprazolam (Xanax) will help with that and make things a little better. I will see what happens and report back.I am trying to get a referral to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I am going to do whatever it takes to find the underlying cause of this. Please be strong and do not give up. There has to be a way to manage or cure this problem. Let us all fight this together. Report anything that seems to make things better and maybe we can help each other out.I will continue to update the message board.

#23 caw001

caw001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:34 PM

Hello Everyone,Just a quick recap. I am 36 years old. I have had IBS for the last few years. Recently, I have been experiencing pressure in my upper abdomen. The following is my way of controlling it. I hope this helps you like it helps me:1. I went to the doctor and he x-rayed my abdomen and there was pockets of gas in my GI tract. Plus, I was pretty much plugged with poop or whatever you call it.2. Over the next two days, I cleaned myself out with Magnesium Citrate 1.745 GM/30ML SOLN 300 ml. Make sure you drink 8 ounces of water with it if you are an adult. I did this twice as there was a lot of junk to get out of my system. Pick the bottle that has lemon in it not the cherry. It is much better. I put it in a cup with ice and it tasted a lot like 7 up. Make sure you do this 24 hours apart!3. Next, I started myself on Miralax Powd 1 tbsp daily. This helped lubricate my insides so everything continued to flow correctly.4. Then, I ate breakfast, lunch and dinner. Your stomach is the same size as your fist. DO NOT EAT MORE THAN A FIST FULL OF FOOD at each sitting. DO NOT EAT within three hours before bedtime.5. Start exercising. Exercising does two things: (1) It is good for your body to keep it healthy (2) It helps control the level of stress on your body. Exercise is very important.6. Make sure you keep a food journal and identify which foods keep you feeling good and which ones make you feel bad! Avoid the ones that make you feel bad and make sure you drink lots of water during the day to keep your system lubricated!7. If you get yourself into a situation where you feel just really bad and you canít stand it anymore, I find that Flexeril, Ativan, or Xanax seems to help me out. Only one of these at a time not all of them. Make sure you check with your Doctor.8. Also, I am still taking the Dicyclomine (Bentyl) stops spasms in the GI tract, Omeprazole (Prilosec) stops acid and Align Ė a Probiotic. A few days ago I thought I would stop taking the Align. But, after further research, I have learned that continued use of anti acid medication can cause that pressure feeling in the abdomen and chest. So, I am going to stop taking the Omeprazole (Prilosec) and continue the Dicyclomine (Bentyl) and the Align and see what happens.I will report later and let you know what adjustments I am making to my plan and what is working. One more thing, cut back on drinking pop (soda)! The pop (soda) will trap gas in your GI tract. The pop (soda) is going to be hard for me to quit! I do not smoke so I am good there!Best regards,Chad

#24 Martongirl 37

Martongirl 37

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:51 AM

hi chadHow long have yu been on prilosec? when you give up a PPI you will get some acid reflux for a bit. You might need to cut it out slowly or get yourself some aloe vera juice and marshmallow root supplements to help with the burning you might get from stopping the prilosec.regardsjulie

#25 JillP

JillP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:56 PM

I have the EXACT same symptoms. I have always been "D" but out of nowhere I became slightly "C". I have the bloating right below the ribcage but above the belly button. I have a hiatal hernia and mild esophagitis. I have taken 2 doses a day of every PPI and nothing works. My GI said that if the PPI's aren't working then it's not the reflux. I also have a empty stomach feeling quite often with the bloating. I had a test called Gastric Emptying Study to see if I had Gastroparesis (delay of stomach emptying) and that was negative. I find that if I empty my bowels completely the whole thing tends to go away. I should also mention that with this bloating if it gets bad I have a burning in my throat BUT NOT anywhere in my chest and meds do nothing for that.

#26 Miss Lisa

Miss Lisa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:56 PM

I am old school(42 right now) when it comes to(hard diarreah) IBS. I have had it all my life and not once did my stomach swell like this until a few months ago. It always happens after I eat-a few minutes or hours later, the feeling I'm very pregnant(yes, it feels like a baby movin' in there!) comes back. Right in the middle, up high, the "balloon" is there. Mine actually shifts and causes a bit of nausea. Now please keep in mind that I do not have a panic disorder, nor do I have anxiety. I am pretty darn calm. Anyways, the "balloon" shifts side to side and up and down and sometimes, feels like it is going in circles. BEANO does help, but not always. I am tired of this but since I have no insurance, the Dr is not an option for me. Now I read one reply about gas bubbles and trapped ####....well, if you aren't constipated, could there be some still there? I mean, I am diarreah all the way~you know~like win dixie and all...LoLI have no other health issues other than asthma. Just overweight(normal blood pressure) which contributes some but I am seeing a~lot of skinnies with this! Mine also occurs with ANY FOOD....it does not discriminate! I also cannot be pregnant as I come close to bleeding out every month and the "balloon" does subside at times. Glad to find this board and see the other posts.....Lisa..:(

#27 torunafter

torunafter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:47 PM

I had some pressure in my upper chest couple months ago, I especially noticed it after a workout. I did a liver flush and it seemed to improve quite a bit. Give it a try.

#28 csteves

csteves

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:45 PM

Hello everyone,I have searched all over the internet to find an idea that fits for my symptoms as the doctors cannot come up with anything that makes since.I am 20 yrs old and have had this pressure/ pain under center of the rib cage since I was 16. From the time I was 16-17 the pain was much more frequent but it would not last more than an hour and a half. Last year I had the same pain after not having it for 8months I went into the ER where they took out my appendix. Last night I had the same pain. The pain is so severe that you cannot move. Before last nights episode, with the pain I would vomit bile. Last night this did not happen right away.. I felt very sick. later one when the pain subsided I then had vomitting. Today, the pain is fine as long as I am lying down. The minute I stand up right, the pain is back in full gear. I have been battling this pain off and on for almost 5 yrs. I have heard diagnoses from ulcer to apendicitis to gastritis. None which have seem to be correct.I am finding myself to be more irritable, very tired, and my bowel movements are often 3-5days apart. This has been normal for me.Id really like to find help with this issue. I never know when the pain will appear again. I plan to see a GI doc but with everyones comments I doubt they will find the issue

#29 IcanHelpU

IcanHelpU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:39 AM

My friend has IBS and has experienced all the symptoms that have been listed by everyone. After months of not finding any relief and after countless doctors visits and prescriptions we decided to try a colon cleanse. this has been amazing and though the symptoms have not gone completely away, it became obvious that the pressure in the upper abdomen was the result of backed up bowel movements. Her condition has definitely improved and and it has only been two weeks on the cleanse (which should be done for around two months for good results). the product that i would recommend is Colonix and can be purchased online. out of all the ones i researched, this seemed to be the most natural, most effective, and the safest way to go. Even if a cleanse doesn't eliminate all your symptoms, i can almost guarantee that this will help. Let me know your results and I hope this helps. Remember to drink plenty of water while on the cleanse to so you won't get more backed up.Something else that has seemed to have a link is foods high in acidity. Get enough alkaline foods in your diet and your body will thank you!

#30 IcanHelpU

IcanHelpU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:42 AM

COLON CLEANSE is definitely what you need. read my longer post above for more details :( also like one of the previous posts said, aloe juice helps a lot!

#31 aloemandy

aloemandy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:15 AM

Hi All, I don't have IBS but used to suffered from extreme pain under the ribcage. It would be brought on by eating something. I would burp a lot. Sometimes the pain was so bad I would roll around on the floor, not being able to move and struggling to breath. Having had 2 children I can honestly say that it was worse than childbirth (there was not subsidence between contractions) and sometimes it could last from up to 9 hours.At first Drs diagnosed everything from trapped wind to colic - mainly because I could only physically go and see them when it wasnt hurting because I couldnt move.Eventually got sent for a scan of the gall bladder, which revealed I had very small stones in it, kind of like gravel. Because your gall bladder sends out extra bile to digest fat, every time you eat it trys to excrete this and the stones move, block holes, get squished into you - the more fat you eat (even good fat) the worse it gets.Finally got my gall bladder removed and never looked back.If its some relief fro symptoms of IBS you are looking for, you need to make sure that you buy aloe vera GEL, NOT juice which has a much much lower content of aloe in it. You also need to be given advice on how to take it, what dosages to start on, how to build up the dosage and to what level and what you should expect from taking the drink. If you would like this kind of advice, please message me or use my name as a site to contact me through that. Hope this information helps someone.Mandy

#32 spearmint

spearmint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:37 AM

Hiya everyone, Susan from the UK here, I have been looking through your comment on IBS and especially the griping pains in the upper adominal pain. I was diagnosed with IBS only a couple of days ago. I must say that I am saddened to hear that all of you have some of the same simptoms as I have, and so far there doesn't seem to be an answer. Not only is it so sad, but also amazing, that in the 21st century, that there is no relief from these windy-type pains we all have. Although the messages I have been reading seem to have been posted quite a while ago, I am hoping there is someone out there who has now found something that works. Good luck to everyone and if I find any nuggets of information I will certainly post it on this page as soon as I know anything. One more thing, some of the pills and potions are american and probably the same thing is found in the UK but named differently, which is very frustrating. If anyone could translate this information, I would be eternally grateful.

#33 johi

johi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:14 AM

I know this is old like a year ago, but has anyone been tested for gluten intolerance, I know my symptoms are a lot of the same and same as my mothers, and we both are, try a gluten free diet and you might see a change. And you will be amazed on how much stuff has gluten, and gluten is just not wheat so do your research.

#34 johi

johi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:17 AM

Me again, I would also check for lactose intolerance, I have both, but the Doc can tell you if you are either gluten intolerant or lactose, I have had both since I was 7 so its nothing new to me, but I will say a lot of the times a doctor will not bring up either of them for whatever the reason, my mom says cause it doesnt make them money, but also maybe cause its not as severe as some, but both gluten and lactose causes pressure and some other side effects that also go with IBS. So I hope that helps.

#35 f_romania

f_romania

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:13 AM

Hello all. I just joined this forum so I apologize if someone has already posted a similar problem, but I am in great need of some help.I have had IBS my entire life. I've never been able to pin point it towards any specific foods but I'm used to eating something, then getting really bad stomach cramps, then having to go to the bathroom. I usually feel better after the BM.But 3 1/2 months ago something changed. I have had this constant (I mean, 24/7) pressure in my upper abdomen, right below my ribcage. It also tends to move into my chest so I have such great pressure that I feel like I can't fully breathe. I've seen many doctors and a GI and all tests have come back negative. They did find some small gallstones and a hiatal hernia, but I've been on antacids for the entire 3 months, but they have not helped at all. My main symptom is this extreme pressure. It feels like there could be gas in there but I haven't been able to relieve it for almost 4 months! I literally haven't had a moment where I didn't feel the pressure.Has ANYONE else had this same problem?? Doctors keep telling me it's probably IBS and "non-ulcer dyspepsia" related (so basically nothing serious) and I have been doing my best to eat right, but I really can't live with all this pressure much longer. It feels like my stomach is expanding and coming up into my chest, and everything I eat seems to make it worse.If anyone has had this problem PLEASE let me know, I'm desperate for help!Thank you, -Leeann

Hi! Did you guys ever try Wobenzym? It really helps me with the gas. I think you should definitely try it - it's the only one who really worked for symptoms like yours - domperidone, simethicone and trimebutine helped, but not very much... but with Wobenzym I really feel like another person. Gas is like 90% less than it was before, it's amazing.

#36 missy5180

missy5180

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

Well I'm glad I found this forum. I'm so frustrated with this pressure and bloated. I can't wear my normal clothes or anything form fitting because my stomach is so pushed out I look pregnant. its really depressing me. sounds like there little hope and relief. if anyone has any success please share. my husband just doesn't understand what I'm going thru and emotionally feeling.thanks, Melissa

#37 tiff125

tiff125

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:49 PM

I have had the same thing you are describing and it ended up being a mix of relfux and gastritis. I was told there was nothing much they could do for either one besides having me take an acid reducer which I am already on. Good luck! Hope you are feeling better already!

#38 screeb

screeb

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:06 AM

Acotiamide treats the Functional Dyspepsia and has passed Phase III and is being readied for marketing in the US, Europe, and Japan. It speeds up gastric emptying.

#39 leni

leni

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:00 PM

Hi guys,I was diagnosed with IBS as a teenager - I'm now 30. Theye didn't give me a specific type and I was prescribed mebeverine, which doesn't help at all. Also mint capsules, also nothing. In the past few weeks if I even drink a glass of fluid I get bloated enough that my clothes don't fit, I expand a whole dress size. I have awfully sulphur-smelling gas at night (luckily my partner is amazingly understanding) and in the morning my stomach is normal again, that is until I eat or drink even the tiniest thing... I normally have a loose bm first thing.I drink ginger tea, eat healthy, also trying charcoal and antacids/health salts, none of which help whatsoever.I can't fit in my clothes by the end of a day, everyday!It's comforting to know I'm not alone, although I wish none of us suffered from this, but I'm on stage a lot because of what I do and have to give the illusion of a flat stomach rather than looking 6 months pregnant so it's very very difficult for me. I have put on a bit of weight recently, but even though I've started doing cardio for an hour a day and cut out lots of calories the scales tell me I'm still getting bigger...I have to wear clothes that look like maternity-wear to cover up my huge stomach, and I feel as if I've eaten a ten course meal even after a boiled egg!Has anyone found anything to help??

#40 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,904 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

You might try probiotics as sometimes they help with bloating (as well as a low carb/low starch diet especially if you tend to diarrhea).You might try taking a digestive enzyme supplement with pancreatin at the start of meals as that sometimes helps with the bloating after meals.It may be worth adding up your calories (lots of online free sites will do this) and make sure the weight gain and the diet/exercise do not add up. If you are gaining weight when you should be losing weight consistently (eat less than than you need by 500 calories every single day to lose one pound a week) it may be worth getting your thyroid checked, but you need the numbers added up to be sure.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here