#1 leeballz

leeballz

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:34 AM

Advertisement
Does anyone else have this problem? I have posted on here about how I have this bloating/pressure feeling all the time in my stomach, right below my rib cage, and it seems to worsen after every meal. It seems that I"ll only be able to eat a little bit at a time (like a cup of soup) and I'll get really, really full. This causes the very bloated and pressure feeling in my stomach, which sometimes moves into my chest. It seems to last for about half and hour, then will sorta subside. I still have the pressure/fullness feeling all day, but it's dramatically worsened after eating.Does this sound familiar to anyone? I've only had this problem for about four months now- it's a new thing that just appeared one day.-LeeannPS Maybe gastroparesis?

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,890 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

Most of the time this is one of two issues.Functional dyspepsia, which is when the sensations are bad, but they are just sensations caused by screwy nerves rather than stomach not able to behave properly.I find digestive enzymes with pancreatin in them tend to helps with that full too fast, stay full too long, bloated as heck feeling.There can be something called gastroparesis. Often seen in diabetics. It can also be from issues in the nervous system, but the part that actually tells the stomach to empty rather than the part that just feels what is going on. They can tell them apart by feeding you a meal with a tracer and seeing how fast that leaves the stomach.That is seems pretty short term makes me think FD rather than GP. With GP you might be actually full for many hours after a meal, so that seems to point to a problem of feeling to full when the stomach normally tends to be full rather than it can't ever get unfull. You can have some discomfort during not full times as well as full times with FD but it sounds like you get the worst issues for the amount of time you'd expect the stomach to be full after a meal.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 leeballz

leeballz

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

Thanks Kathleen-The dyspepsia thing has come up alot, by people on here and by a couple of my doctors. Next time I see my doctor I'm going to ask them more about this and what else I can do to help fix this problem. I've been trying to eat healthier and eat very small meals more often during the day, and although it seems to be taking FOREVER to get better, I think week by week the pressure is there less and less (although I'm still uncomfortable most of the time.)Anyway, I am taking digestive enzymes but they don't have pancreatin- what brand do you recommend for these? Can I just go to any place that carries these and find some that say they have pancreatin? I know you've told me about these before so I really should go and get some!Does anyone else suffer from functional dyspepsia?? If so, how do you deal with it!!!!???!!-Leeann

#4 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,890 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:10 PM

I haven't found much problem finding them, I think my most recent ones are from Walmart.I'm lucky I don't need them often. There is a small study with the prescription version http://www.ncbi.nlm....Pubmed_RVDocSum is that abstract you might see if your doctor will be willing to give that a try.It seems to be more that the use the enzymes we have (they are signals as well as enzymes) so the ones that are only plant based may not have the same effect.
Ph.D in Biology

#5 IanRamsay

IanRamsay

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:54 PM

HiIT IS A HIATUS HERNIA, possibly with some GERD or reflux. those are teh symptoms that fit and as you have already been told that you have a hernia by your doctor you dont really need to look any further. cheersIan
Emetophobic since 1987, IBS A (More C) since 1990, Chronic GERD + Chronic Gastritis since 1987. When people say it cant get any worse, i say at least you are still breathing! Keep the faith. Currently in remission thanks to specific strain probiotics and 12 years of probiotic reaserch.

#6 leeballz

leeballz

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

Ok, and how do you suppose I treat this hiatus hernia? My doctors have all told me it's TOO SMALL to cause any real problems, and if it were causing problems it would be causing acid reflux problems. YET, antacids do NOT help, and since I've stopped taking them for the past month or so, my symptoms if anything have been improving.My gastroenterologist has said the hernia is not the cause of my problems, so THAT is why I am looking further into this. -Leeann

#7 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,269 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:26 PM

Well try the enzymes K suggested and see if that helps. With Functional Dyspepsia coupled with maybe some visceral hypersensitivty...sometimes the best "fix" is learning to ignore the sensations. :( You have been investigated six ways to Sunday.. and nothing is terribly wrong in there.. so you can relax about that anyway.But try the pancreatin and see how you do.All the bestBQPS My Mom had a hiatus hernia for years and ... she never treated it or needed to. Just avoided known trigger foods. She never took ANY medication for it. And I rarely heard her ever complain about it. It was a fair size too. But...for whatever reason she just coped well with it.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#8 leeballz

leeballz

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

Thanks BQ.I have found that this stomach problem may be something I just have to learn to ignore and just continue to self medicate and hope it will eventually "go away" (the symptoms, not my stomach, tho I wish!).I will definitely try the pancreatin and buy some when I get off work today! It's just so frustrating when there's so many things that could have caused this to happen in my stomach, and when not even doctors know the real cause, it's even harder to work towards healing it. I guess I've just had a hard time trying to figure out how and what to eat, which pills to keep taking despite their ineffectiveness etc.But I appreciate all the help and will continue to try things in the hopes they will work (starting with the pancreatic enzymes tonight). Thank you!-Leeann

#9 IanRamsay

IanRamsay

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

i was teh same with my hernia, it was a 2 inch one and was constantly sliding about all over teh place above and below. when it was below i was fine, when it was above i had all the pressure, and everything else. i could literally eat half a sandwich and feel like i had eaten a 3 course meal. reflux, burps etc. the best treatment i found was from a bone doctor who did something called "Pulling down teh stomach". in 3 minutes it was fixed. cheersIanP.S. have you been tested for H Pylori?
Emetophobic since 1987, IBS A (More C) since 1990, Chronic GERD + Chronic Gastritis since 1987. When people say it cant get any worse, i say at least you are still breathing! Keep the faith. Currently in remission thanks to specific strain probiotics and 12 years of probiotic reaserch.

#10 leeballz

leeballz

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:15 PM

I don't have the H. Pylori (came back negative) but I have sorta heard about massage therapists or whoever that can massage the stomach and help with hernias. I don't think mine is a sliding hernia, I think it's the unmovable kind but I really need to see that doctor again who diagnosed it and get some more details from her. I've seen so many doctors who seem to contradict one another, it's very frustrating. I guess i just have to keep positive and keep trying new things to help. I think my doctors are still unwilling to make a full diagnosis and for some reason they didn't seem to think my hernia is really the cause even though from what you say, it sounds like it could very well be. Does it bother you all the time, or have you cured yourself for the time being?

#11 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,269 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:40 AM

I guess i just have to keep positive and keep trying new things to help.

Absolutely keep positive. But... I would try ONE new thing at a time... give it a fair trial (more than a few days.... like maybe it could take up to and beyond two weeks for some things to have an impact on symptoms.) So sure... try new things... I would just make sure you are trying ONE at a time and so you can find out if one is helping or not before starting anything else.BQ
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#12 IanRamsay

IanRamsay

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:11 AM

Hiit used to bother when when ever i ate, and it would also bother me when my stomach was empty. basically when it had food in it it would start to slide back down beneath the diaphram, which would cause the food caught in the pocket back up in to my osophagus, and when it was empty it would start to slide back up above the diaphram. as i also had chronic GERD and chronic Gastritis i was pretty much buggered all the time, i couldent win, eat or not eat, i would only ever get a small brief period of respite. i drastically changed my diet, and started to eat small meals (really very small) every two hours to keep my stomach from ever being empty. and as long as i eat within 15 minutes of getting up in the morning it stays settled. but i go to have it "Pulled down" every 4 months at my bone doctor. but unless it is surgically fixed they generally stay in one way or another for life.to get a proper diagnosis that my hernia was teh root cause of my actual stomach issues and not my IBS, i had to have a barium x ray every 1 hour for 12 hours while i was eating my usual diet, and then have a stomach emptying test. having just one x ray or camera cannot diagnose the severity or extent of the problems that a hernia causes because it inly shows it in one state, not every state after eating, drinking, and fasting, exercising etc. Most doctors just dismiss the hernia as a mild irritation and are convinced that acid blockers will fix it. they just made my issues worse, way worse. no stomach acid means less digestion in the stomach. cheersIanP.S. trying one thing at a time is GOOD ADVICE. trying too many makes for a confusing time working out what works and what dosent.

#13 leeballz

leeballz

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

Thank you so much- I think I do need to have a barium x-ray done. I plan to talk to my GI next time I see him (which isn't for a freaking month!) and see what he thinks about that. I actually just had a hydrogen breath test done today (which I know wouldn't have anything to do with the hernia) but it may give me some insight into my IBS problems. Just another question for Ian- when you say you changed your diet dramatically, what types of foods to you eat/not eat now? I know there's a long list but just to name a few things that tend to bother you more or seem to be more helpful?Anyway, thank you again for all the advice!

#14 Lookin'foraLife

Lookin'foraLife

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:00 PM

Hi guys,Ian, what tests do you need to have to find a hernia in the first place?Kathleen, how many mg of Pancreatin should be in the digestive enzymes?

#15 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,890 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:15 PM

Well the ones I have now have 100 mgs per dose (3 tablets)I can't tell what the dose was from the abstract with the prescription version, and the dosing on that is in a different unit so hard to compare them.
Ph.D in Biology

#16 IanRamsay

IanRamsay

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

Hi LeeMy diet, that was complicated. basically i cut out teh following completelyAll DairyAll Red MeatAll Spicy foodAll Rich foodAll stringy fiberous foodsAll Artificial preservatives, colours, additives, flavourings, sweetners.that left me with very little to eat for 4 months. it was hard, but it was nessecary as a test. to be honest, it diddnt help teh hernia in teh slightest. what you eat generally wont make the hernia better, its just portion controll that was teh way foreward for me. on teh brighter side, cutting out all that from my diet had some unexpected results on teh bacterial balance in my gut which enabled me to carry out some more tests on probiotic bacteria that i would not have been able to do otherwise.I REALLY REALLY DO NOT RECCOMEND THAT ANYONE USES THEM SELVES AS GUINEA PIGS AS I HAVE, I AM QUALIFIED AND TOOK THE RISKS IN A CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT!any diet changes must be put past the doctor first. dont just go off on a bender as you may do your self more harm than good. as i am now in IBS remission, teh gerd and gastritis have all but gone away, i can now eat what ever i want. but the hernia still remains. as i refuse to have surgery for it it will be there for ever. as long as i eat every 2 hours, it generally dosent bother me. (i firmly believe that the hernia caused the gerd, and is teh root cause for all gerd, but it didnt casue the gastritis.)the one thing that i have found to be a huge problem for my stomach, was caffeine. anything that contained it made teh acid go postal. wheather that was to do with the gerd or teh hernia or the gastritis or a combo of all 3, i will never know.cheersIan

#17 IanRamsay

IanRamsay

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:47 PM

Hi Looking 4 a lifea barium xray every hour for 12 hours then a stomach emptying test. or at least that is what i told my doctor i wanted to happen so i could be sure that the hernia was the issue and causing teh gerd. he thaught i was out of my mind but agreed anyway. his smug smile was soon wiped from his face when i was proved to be right!cheersIan

#18 leeballz

leeballz

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

Hey all!!So I have an update on a new theory as to what could be causing this fullness/pressure problem in my stomach. My doctor told me it's not all that common but she believes I have one of two things going on.This all started when one night, I ate a HUGE plate of spagetti, and it seemed to all get stuck right below my ribcage and cause me to feel extremely full. Then the pressure moved into my chest, and I felt very short of breath. Since this happened, I've gotten this tight/bloating/pressure feeling almost 24/7 in my stomach, that seems to sometimes move into my chest causing the short of breath feeling.WELL, the reason I give you the background as to how this all started, is because, after ruling out GERD, gallbladder, my hernia, gastroparesis and other things, she believes that when I overexerted my stomach by eating that huge heaping amount of food, I probably damaged some stomach nerves, or one of my muscles in the esophagus. These nerves stretch to your diaphragm, which would contribute to the pressure/short of breath feeling. And if one of my muscles in the esophagus is spasming, this would explain the short of breath and tightness feeling as well.This also explains why the Ativan muscle relaxer pills are the only thing that seem to relieve me of this pressure when I get the tightness feelings. And if I eat too much in a sitting, I get way too full etc. All my symptoms fit with the theory that I damaged some nerves or have a spasming muscle (or sphincter). My constipation is probably being caused by all the changes I've made in medicines and diet, and this can also cause my nausea and irritated bladder.They can do a test where they put a camera in my esophagus and watch how it moves. You can eat or drink with it and they can measure if the esophagus tightens or not. this would confirm if I do have a spasming muscle, but they'll do the test only if I start feeling worse (but I've been feeling better, week by week).Anyway, I hadn't really thought this could be the cause but it seems to make the most sense to me, in my situation. I still have IBS, both C and D, and problems in my intestines but at least i seem to have an answer as to why this upper stomach problem suddenly appeared. It will just take lots of time and eating small meals and taking the ativan as needed but it should be able to heal itself. It's still the theory but I think it makes sense! what do you all think?-Leeann

#19 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,269 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:12 PM

You know it does make sense in a way. I have had esophageal spasms on occasion... and they are not much fun I gotta say. So I can sympathize with you a bit.So does your Dr want you have the test you mentioned?BQ

#20 IanRamsay

IanRamsay

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:54 AM

thats great!!! at least they now have something that they can target, test, and treat (the 3 T`s). i hope you can get some relief. cheersian

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here