5 replies to this topic

#1 Cat1974

Cat1974

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:43 AM

Advertisement
Hello everyoneI have suffered with IBS for a year or so. My Mom died of cancer last year and the grief triggered off a major episode. The last week or so I have experienced a great deal of pain mainly upper left abdo and huge amounts of burping with some chest discomfort. I have taken my diet down to low fibre and tried to relax. However, one thing is concerning me. My lowest rib on the left is actually tender to touch - it feels bruised. It does not hurt when I move or breathe but just to touch. I also feels a little swollen (don't know if I imagining this bit though). This happened to me before - and I had an x=ray which showed no abnormality so the doctor said to leave it. This was at the time when my digestive problems started. So I was wondering if the two things could be connected. Can IBS problems cause actual rib tenderness? Would love any reassurance. Thank you in advance.XXXX

Advertisement

#2 Car

Car

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:39 AM

Hi Cat,I logged in today due to rib tenderness and saw your post. Mine is right side though. I've had it a few times and my doctor thinks it's a swollen liver...which seems bizarre especially as she didn't seem remotely concerned about it. For the last few days I've had pain in my lower abdomen which is distinctly different to my normal IBS pain, it feels like premenstrual pain as it spreads to my back but it can't be that at the moment either. I have been told that pain under the ribcage on the right side can just be the colon. So maybe that's all it is. I don't intend seeing my doctor again unless it worsens significantly. Left sided rib tenderness I don't know but just wanted to let you know it's not that unusual. It's horrible, but not unusual. I feel like someone kicked me in the side! Car
Sláˇnte,
Car

#3 Tigercub

Tigercub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:13 PM

HelloI also have IBS with rib pain on the right side. I had gallbladder removed back in October but the pain is still there. It is worse when I eat a full meal. My dr thinks the pain is from my GERD. Anyone else had any idea why the pain is there??

#4 paticake35

paticake35

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:28 AM

My husband has left-sided pain, just below the bottom rib. Gastro said it was IBS three years ago. It has come and gone for months at a time, but it is always lurking around the corner. He is very tired of the whole thing.

#5 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,807 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:00 AM

IBS shouldn't make the bone or the joints of the rib tender.However there is a bend in the colon under the ribs on each side and the one on the left is a common spot for IBSer to have pain.There is something called costrchondritis that can cause rib pain. It usually is in the joints by the sternum so most commonly is centrally located but some people get it on the sides. It is just an inflamed rib joint and isn't that serious, but some people need anti-inflammatory drugs (like Motrin) or other pain meds while waiting for that to heal up on its own. I get that from time to time.Tiger--Two things with the right sided pain by the ribs. There is a bend in the colon on the right as well and it is a less common trouble spot for pain, but it can be a place IBSers get pain. The left is a bit more "classic" but it can happen on either side.The other thing is the sphinter from the gallbladder (Sphincter of Oddi) can cause pain. It is kind of like IBS pain in that there often isn't much they can see with medical tests. Usually they only diagnose that if you still have gallbladder like pain after the gallbladder is removed.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#6 lucyinthesky7

lucyinthesky7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:36 AM

Hi, have been having vague feelings of tenderness near lower left rib at front for months but this past week have had discomfort, like pressure as if something inside (bowel, stomach?) too big or ribs squashing. Feeling is all over my left rib cage at the back and coming round to sides. I'm so scared it's an ulcer (have long-term reflux) or diverticular or blockage or something. GP reckons could be bloating, which I am a bit - fullness, but it just feels so different. Also have had small urine or kidney infection, been on antibiotics for 2 days. Long-term constipation with Movicol have had loose motions for months now, but still get IBS-C and had supsected impaction few weeks ago. Just feel so uncomfortable and scared. Can't lie on left side, feel really vulnerable all the time... Could it all just be IBS? Thanks. Plus, achiness thing also down left side to hip.
It's not serious. No, it is. No, yes, no, yes. Argh!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here