Traveling and IBS - Traveling with a Health Condition - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Traveling and IBS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:18 PM

Advertisement
I'm going to be going on a 5 hour flight to Hawaii in a few months and was just wondering what I should do to prepare for this. I dont want to be stuck in the airplanes toilet the whole time either. I get loose stools , nausea , and anxiety when flying a lot of the time. Anyone else here relate?

#2 Slade

Slade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:28 AM

Hi Jason,Luckily (for me) long travels tend to constipate me but recently I had an issue with spoiled food and some really bad diarrhoea and cramps during a long travel. I managed to return home without embarrassing incidents thanks to a powerful combination of drugs. I'll share the international nonpatent names because I don't know what are the trademarks in your country:2 tablets x 10mg of antispasmodic drug butylscopolamine (also hyosciamine butylbromide, scopolamine). Trade name Buscospan, Buscolysin.1 capsule loperamide (Imodium)1 sachet diosmectite (Smecta)I took the above after a loose BM in the morning1 hour later I took another sachet of diosmectite and another antispasmodic tabletBelieve it or not my next BM was 3 days later...

#3 Cherrie

Cherrie

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4134 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:55 AM

Hi JasonI can relate to how you feel. Usually before I travel I'd start a few days ahead of time eating only my safe foods. And the night before, I'd typically prepare a backpack of "just in case" things, for example, meds, something to divert my attention (like music, book, etc), if I'm already having a hard time I'd also put a change of clothes in there (I never had to use it so far, but it gives me peace of mind), and also a note card that says "I have a medical condition and have to use the restroom immediately. Thank you for your understanding" (I've yet to have to use this, but again, it makes me feel much less anxious just knowing that i have it with me). On the day of the flight, it's useful to get up a couple hours early to prep. Take one imodium if needed and/or as a precaution. One other thing i always do is to try and go to sleep on the plane -- that slows my bowels down and I don't feel anxious when sleeping. Best of luck!
Let your love flow outward through the universe, to its height, its depth, its broad extent - a limitless love, without hatred or enmity. Then as you stand or walk, sit or lie down, as long as you are awake, strive for this with a one-pointed mind; Your life will bring heaven to earth. -- Sutta Nipata

#4 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6019 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:45 PM

In the last 11 years I have kept my D under control with a supplement. In that time I have taken several trips to California to visit my brother, a couple of trips to the Yukon to visit my sons--including a 10 day canoe trip down the Yukon River--and two flights to Europe for extended visits to Italy and Germany and England, complete with longish day trips on Eurorail and day long biking and walking tours. All without "events" and no extra meds or precautions necessary. Mark
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:03 PM

I too travel alot, mostly by car. Would like to know the supplement you use overitnow. Will be taking a trip to Mexico in June and really don't want to have my first accident.

#6 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6019 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

I too travel alot, mostly by car. Would like to know the supplement you use overitnow. Will be taking a trip to Mexico in June and really don't want to have my first accident.

Landimarie, I use a flavonoid supplement and it has pretty well healed my digestive system along with my cardio problems for years. Unfortunately, it is not a quick fix, but it certainly has proved to be a long term one. For a trip next month to Mexico, it would make more sense to look at Linda's Calcium protocol (pinned at the top of the D Board). If you want to talk about an experiment into this long term solution, send me a PM and I will provide you with what info I have been able to gather.Mark
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

#7 willow70

willow70

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

Great info for traveling. I am always worried about long car trips and finding a clean public bathroom to use which is like one in a million!!Thanks for the info on what to take

#8 Chris Jones

Chris Jones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 25 October 2018 - 02:02 PM

I have been told by my "invisible friends", my spirit guide, in spirit, that about next February next year, I will be travelling abroad to Canada/America, to settle down, and buy a house there, though I am not sure exactly where at the moment, I just know that I AM moving for definite......But the issue is this......I have NEVER EVER flown long hawl on my own before, this will be my first time flying......Though I have already been in a plane before when I was much much younger......when my dad was working, we flew down to Malaga for a 2 week holiday.

So this is a whole brand new experience for me, without them being by my side.

And as I have just recently suffered a panic and anxiety attack, with chest pains, I don't know how my IBS will cope with this, I know my spirit guide, and passed over family members will be at my side all the way, so that at least will take some of the worry, stress and anxiety away anyway....

I don't know how many of you are long hawl flight first timers, like me, but the main thing is to keep ALL YOUR STRESS, WORRIES & ANXIETIES to a minimum.we should have a more enjoyable flight then.

Chris Jones

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here