After 5 Relapses - Now CURED! Here's how - Page 2 - Prescription Medications - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

After 5 Relapses - Now CURED! Here's how

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
131 replies to this topic

#21 IanRamsay

IanRamsay

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1062 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:12 AM

Bacteria are transient, so wont stay in the system boyond that of which they are needed, regardless of your "Clensing wave capacity". if the body wants them out, it will get them out. Gram postivie bacteria CANNOT harm a person. unless you are reading research papers that i dont know about. Honestly, i dont make this stuff up, or all my training has been in a fantasy world and i am in fact dreaming..........Ian
Emetophobic since 1987, IBS A (More C) since 1990, Chronic GERD + Chronic Gastritis since 1987. When people say it cant get any worse, i say at least you are still breathing! Keep the faith. Currently in remission thanks to specific strain probiotics and 12 years of probiotic reaserch.

#22 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6019 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:47 AM

Bacteria can't survive in acid which is why the small intesine is sterile - its very acidic. Bacteria themselves produce an alkaline (opposite of acidic) environment which makes a perfect environement for even more bacteria and the lack of acid makes it difficult for you body to digest carbs, giving food for bacteria and an even less acidic environment. -- its a vicious cycle.... Bacteria
From what little I know about the acid levels in the small intestine, it is that they are somewhere between pH 6 and 8. (7 is neutral.) It would make sense that if this has turned somehow basic either from the bacteria overgrowth or from another cause, GSE would neutralize that; but other than at the duodenal opening, I believe it is not acidic at all.Mark
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

#23 IanRamsay

IanRamsay

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1062 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 12:26 PM

spot on Mark. Ian
Emetophobic since 1987, IBS A (More C) since 1990, Chronic GERD + Chronic Gastritis since 1987. When people say it cant get any worse, i say at least you are still breathing! Keep the faith. Currently in remission thanks to specific strain probiotics and 12 years of probiotic reaserch.

#24 frantic1980

frantic1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:31 PM

Bacteria are transient, so wont stay in the system boyond that of which they are needed, regardless of your "Clensing wave capacity". if the body wants them out, it will get them out. Gram postivie bacteria CANNOT harm a person. unless you are reading research papers that i dont know about. Honestly, i dont make this stuff up, or all my training has been in a fantasy world and i am in fact dreaming..........

I was using these forums because I had Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth that means that bacteria were pooling in my small intestine and were not "transient" as they are supposed to be. I know that bacteria are *supposed* to be transient between the mouth and the beginning of the colon, working their way downwards like our food - but we're all here because things ARE NOT working the way they should be.... this is the SIBO forum. Just a few posts back you were talking about 'repopulating' the small intestine now your saying that the bacteria is just passing through there...I don't claim to be a bacteria expert or have 12 years of training/research like you. I've learned everything I have on the web and on these forums. I program web servers for a living, I am not a biologist or a doctor and therefore I'm no expert. But my understanding about what I read on wikipedia about Gram Postitive / Negative is that its a detection technique for bacteria: G-positive bacteria have a positive result on a gram-stain test and G-negative bacteria do not stain - you seem to imply that GP are all good bacteria and GN are all bad bacteria. What about Clostridium difficile (the well known hospital bug C-Diff!!!), Staphylococcus aureus - Clostridium perfringens, Bacillus Cereus all gram positive pathogenic bacteria that cause serious harm. There's even a whole book about gram positive pathogens.Yet you say and I quote "Gram postivie bacteria CANNOT harm a person"I spent hours writing a long post about what I learned since discovering that I had SIBO a year ago and how I applied it to finally defeat my IBS which has been with me for 8 years. I wanted to take time and write this to help other people rather than leaving without sharing my knowledge but I have been very upset by your efforts to wade in and totally dismiss my efforts based on your with your "so called expert bacteria training". You are the only person on these forums who asks other people to accept you as some kind of expert - yet you make totally astounding claims like "repopulating the small intestine with bacteria" and "Gram postivie bacteria CANNOT harm a person". I actually think its pretty scary that you come on here and give people advice and tell them that you are some kind of expert therefore giving false credibility to your advice. I don't understand what your problem is or why you're so intent on knocking down my efforts to pass on what I have learned, but I have no belief in your credibility or in your expert bacteria training. So in response to your question has "all my training been in a fantasy world and i am in fact dreaming.........." -- based on what i've read so far on your posts.... yes, I think it probably is a fantasy.

#25 IanRamsay

IanRamsay

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1062 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

Steady. And FYI, ii was talking about Probiotic bacteria being transient. (allthough in theory and practice all bacteria is transient in one way or another).Gram positive bactera cannot harm a person in the numbers that it enters the body from the natural world (within reason). once inside, thats a different story. do you know what, i cant be a***d. i have never once given anyone advice that has harmed them, and i sure as hell have never told anyone to do anything that may worsen their symptoms or illness. and judjing by the amount of people that contact me saying thankyou, i dont think my advice is all that bad. i hope your recovery continues. but if it dosent, dont ask me for advice.Ian

#26 freakzilla154l

freakzilla154l

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:02 AM

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't posted.... I've read all the post though. I'm on a mini vacation with my girlfriend. I'll be back home later tonight and I'll write more.Well, I feel extremely constipated. I still on the xifaxin. It's been 13 days today. I'm having blood in my BM, which I didn't have before I started the xifaxin. I just feel like I have to go. Even coffee isn't really making me go now, which always does......I've been only using a canasa suppository every other night, but I stopped my lialda when I started the xifaxin.I still can't believe this. I'm still tired, my skin and these plugs are awful, and i know i'm not absorbing zero!I will be back later and discuss things. Thanks for everyone's comments. BTW, I ordered the IBS book. Thank You! Can't wait to read.

#27 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:11 AM

If you have more than just IBS going on then it may take more than IBS remedies to get you really feeling well.If your IBD is flaring up with the bleeding and all that even if you get the functional GI problems you may have on top of the IBD under control you are still going to feel lousy from the immune system going nuts.I "just" have allergies which are usually not nearly as bad as an autoimmune problem (does the doctor know you stopped some of the IBD medication when you started the antibiotics, and was that for a particular reason, like an interaction) and they can leave me totally wiped out from the immune system freaking out.I think any antibiotic can set you up for a C diff infection and that can sometimes cause blood issues, but usually with diarrhea, not constipation.Constipated hard to pass stools will make any bleeding problem at the outlet somewhat worse as they tend to tear at tender tissue rather than pass out smoothly, so it could just be the stool consistency issue.Have you talked to the doctor about how bad things have gotten since you started this medication? It might be time.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#28 freakzilla154l

freakzilla154l

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:54 PM

It's tough... All the docs keep telling me it's all about my GI issues . I have to get this under control..... So that's all I can go by. It's so confusing! I stopped the lialda, b/c it really does zero for me. The canasa suppository do help though.What other medication should I be taking with the Xifaxin? I'm going to see my therapist tomorrow and I'll ask him for it... Is it neomycin or erthromycin? What milligram? I have to beat this. I have about 7 days left of the xifaxin.

#29 Patman75

Patman75

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:03 PM

I stopped the lialda, b/c it really does zero for me. The canasa suppository do help though.

Sorry, I dont want to but into this spirited thread, but.... Freakzilla, do you have IBD? Ulcertative Colitits or Crohns. The meds you discuss are used for IBD not IBS.
Diagnosed with UC November 2004, I felt aweful until until I started seeing a Nutritionist (CCN or DACBN) in Febuary 2008. Candida diet + supplements followed by a no processed foods diet without my triggers + supplements.
Take charge of your health. Find a support group, read books, change your diet, see a nutritionist
My Progress http://www.ibsgroup....showtopic=94551

#30 frantic1980

frantic1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:16 PM

Its weird that your skin is affected; I am pretty sure that coupled with digestive problems this strongly indicates a food allergy.http://www.healthy-s...lergy-rash.htmlhttp://www.gfree.co....intolerance.htmMilk, Wheat and Eggs are usually the biggest culprits. Have you tried eliminating any of these to see if things improve? You said in a previous post that you are taking LOADS of fibre and greens; surely these are causes of constipation rather than solutions?Another stab in the dark: What color is your pee? Anything darker than crystal clear or clear with a very light yellow indicates that you're dehydrated; which might make you constipated and make your skin dry. http://www.realbuzz....hart-small.jpg http://www.causeof.o...tionEffectsCons

#31 freakzilla154l

freakzilla154l

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:55 PM

Hey Patman, as of 3 weeks ago, there were no signs of proctitis, just alittle bit of inflammation and my GI said it was IBD. He lowered all my meds. But the lialda does nothing for me, so I only use the canasa.I really never tried to get rid of wheat. I stopped dairy for awhile, with the exception of coffee. I've tried the rice cakes with no gluten or wheat, but there is no alleviation of any sort. I do drink tons of water, but sometimes my pee is orange/brownish and tingles alittle. However, it's usually clear. It's only brown in the morning sometimes. I had a urine sample done about 3 months ago and there was a trace of leukocyte esterase. My doc at the time said that it could a slight UTI and not to worry. WHo knows?Gotta go. Be back in a few hours... Thanks everyone!

#32 freakzilla154l

freakzilla154l

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:20 PM

Can I take both Xifaxin and Neomycin at the same time? If so, what does of neomycin? Thanks

#33 frantic1980

frantic1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:48 AM

Yeah you can take them at the same time... Pimmentel prescribes this for patient's whose symptoms come back. The dosages of these drugs vary dramatically for some reason. The max dose of Rifaximin is 1800mg per day and the max dose of neomycin is 10000mg or something stupid like that. I was taking Neomycin at 1000mg 3 times per day along with rifaximin 400mg 3 times per day.

#34 freakzilla154l

freakzilla154l

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:34 PM

my therapist prescribed it for me. It's the same as the xifaxin. 400 mg 3/day... So 1200 mg total. This was not my GI.... SHould I take them both. I only have 7 days left of the xifaxin.. Don't know what to do????CAn it hurt at this point???? Really..

#35 frantic1980

frantic1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:14 PM

Hang on did your therapist prescribe you Neomycin or Rifaximin??Cos Rifaximin is the same as what you already have (Xifaxan) which is the American brand name. So whenever I say "rifaximin" in my posts what I mean is "xifaxan" they're EXACTLY the same chemical. You should be trying Xifaxan and Neomycin. I'm a bit confused cos it sounds like you got a prescription for the same thing in a different name! :(

#36 freakzilla154l

freakzilla154l

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:19 PM

hey frantic, No he gave me neomycin, 400mg 3/day. I didn't start it yet b/c it wasn't my GI who prescribed it to me. I've been on the xifaxin for over two weeks now. I have 5 days left i think. My BM are nothing but tons of gas, diarrhea, and some blood.... I dont get it... It's gotten worse since I started the xifaxin. Is this normal?Sorry for the confusion. Should I try the neomycin? If so, do I take it along with the xifaxin?BTW, i was looking on the internet and i came across something interesting...MASTOCYTIC ENTEROCOLITIS... Google this and check it out. Alot of this goes hand in hand with my complaints, especially the skin rashes.I'm also taking a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar 2x/day.... Thanks!

#37 frantic1980

frantic1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:26 PM

I think you have the best chance of success taking them both together.

#38 freakzilla154l

freakzilla154l

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:03 PM

Hey frantic1980,I just read the drug facts on neomycin and it seems dangerous. I'm surprised at this. Are there test I have to get done or things I should be cautious about?Let me know, cause I'll start later today. Also, should I take them at the same time as the Xifaxin? Thank you!What do you think about the Mass Cells?

#39 frantic1980

frantic1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:49 PM

Yes I read the same thing about neomycin toxicity.... this is why rifaximin is the preferred drug now. As far as I understand it Neymycin is a nonsystemic antibiotic and does not pass through the lining of the gut into the blood stream. Very very little gets through. the problem is when you take very high doses 14000mg per day the 'very very small amount' that does get through is now a much larger amount, so taking very high doses for months at a time has been known to cause problems.A small dose for 10 days or less is aparently fine though - this is why it has not been de-approved by the FDA. its only high doses for prolonged periods that are bad.I skimmed the Mastocytic thing quickly. The connection with the skin rash is a result of histamine production - as I understand it, this is what gets released when you are allergic to something. hayfever remedies are 'antihistamine drugs' because they relive symptoms of hayfever by blocking the histamine that your body produces in reaction to pollen.One of the symtoms of the MAstocytic enterocolitis is excess histamine production which is why you associate it to your skin rash. I think a much more likely explaination is that you are allergic to something you are eating, which would also cause a skin rash due to histamine. To rule out to masto... Get some hayfever remedies from your phamacy and see if they solve your digestive problems (apparently the treatmet for mastocytic.... are antihistamines). I doubt it though when you consider the number of people that have this illness and the number of people who have common food allergies, I think its a lot more likely that you have a food allergy.NB I am not a doctor or a medical professional so I am not qualified to give any kind of medical advice. This is just my basic understanding of things.

#40 freakzilla154l

freakzilla154l

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:31 PM

thanks for the comments. I gonna take...I still didn't get the IBS book. Is there a special diet i should have been doing all along?

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here