After 5 Relapses - Now CURED! Here's how - Page 3 - Prescription Medications - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

After 5 Relapses - Now CURED! Here's how

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
131 replies to this topic

#41 frantic1980

frantic1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:45 PM

Avoid simple carbohydrates.... Sugars & fructose (the sugar found in fruit), Lactose (the sugar found in milk). Sweetners are even worse though - so diet drinks are totally out! Aparently Aspartame is not so bad but Sorbitol (Potasium Sorbate) is the worst sweetner. I'd avoid them totally though.

#42 freakzilla154l

freakzilla154l

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:03 PM

ok, so no fruit at all...? I usually make myself fruit smoothies and green smoothies. I use spinach, kale, apples, bananas, all berries, soy milk, and kiwi... I thought fruit was ok, not simple sugars from candy and chocolate?Also, I thought with taking this medicine that you should eat everything? I haven't been watching what I eat....

#43 freakzilla154l

freakzilla154l

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:11 AM

Is it ok to take coconut oil and/or olive oil?

#44 freakzilla154l

freakzilla154l

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I still haven't received the IBS book so I'm not sure what I should and should not do.Is there a type of protein supplement shake that I can take? I was taking the whey by Jarrow, but I dont think it agreed with me... This is important... I need a protein supplement, cause I'm shrinking to nothing..Thanks!

#45 frantic1980

frantic1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

yeah oils are fats which are fine because bacteria don't feed on them. Something like the Atkins diet (protein and fat only) would probably completely starve the bacteria.I didn't eat wheat when I had IBS symptoms because it made me much worse but I ate it whilst on the drugs and I was fine. There's a whole chapter in the Pimentel book about what to eat and what not to eat. But I can't really type it all out here.

#46 freakzilla154l

freakzilla154l

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:38 PM

I'm alittle confused, but whatever... I'll have to wait to get the book. thanks!

#47 frantic1980

frantic1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:08 AM

I think the book basically pretty much says the followingBad FoodsSugar (Surcorse)Corn SyrupLactose (milk sugar)fructose (fruit sugar)Sweetners-Mannitol-Sorbitol-Sucralose (splenda)LactuloseSugar free gumLimit or avoid high-residue foods which leave residue in the small intestine:BeansLentilsSoy Products (milk tofu)Yoghurt, Milk, CheeseGood/Acceptable Foods - no need to limitBeefFishPoultryEggsPotatoesPastaRiceBreadCerialsOats"believe it or not, white bread is best in this circumstance. Try to keep multigrain breads to a minimum...." -- didn't realise this before but just read it in the book."Fruits should be eaten in moderation - no more than two pieces a day. Fruits contain fructose which is difficult to digest. Fresh not dried fruit""fresh nonstarchy vegetables cooked or steamed, not raw, as they are easier to digest when cooked. Avoid large salads full of raw vegetables as this can lead to too much residue.... do not eat vegetables exclusively as they are hard to digest""dairy should be avoided because of lactose, use almond or rice milk instead; not soya milk" "coffee tea and soda in very moderate amounts" Diet sodas are totally out

#48 frantic1980

frantic1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:13 AM

I actually take protein for muscle building.... its amazing since I finally got rid of my SIBO I have stacked about 4 kilos of muscle!!I use CNP Pro Mass after my workout - it seems to be fairly easy to digest. Its got whey protein, casein and I think they put stuff in it to make it digestable. Put some drops of Grapefuit seed extract in. The carb in this one is Maltodextrin - I don't know what the story is with bacteria and maltodextrin; i've looked into it several times but couldn't find an answer. I wasn't taking this stuff while I was being treated though - stopped going to the gym for a while so didn't need to.between workouts I use egg white protein rather than whey protein - just seems like a safer alternative for IBS. Again I don't have any definite ideas when it comes to this. The pro mass is fine for me now that I am SIBO free, but I would probably avoid when being treated as I don't know if the bacteria feeds on maltodextrin or not.

#49 freakzilla154l

freakzilla154l

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

Thanks for all the details frantic. My diet is not exactly the way it should be. The white bread really surprises me too and so does the fruit. I thought most fruit wouuld be fine, but it makes sense as it is hard to digest.Well,, I only have today and tomorrow until I'm done the Xifaxin.... I guess I was expecting more out of it! If only I could get rid of my dry skin/rash, I think I wouldn't mind the IBS as much. I just feel that this is all related.I think I'm gonna try to eliminate a food soon. I may go with dairy first, then wheat. Wheat will definitely be much more difficult for me as I eat pasta and breads. I just never had this skin rash and dryness before any of this started.. Is there a substitute of cream or half and half that I can put in my coffee! This will be the only hard part with dairy. I also do use plain sugar, but it my coffee!I will hold off on the protein shakes, I guess.....Thanks again!

#50 freakzilla154l

freakzilla154l

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

Also, should I be on an anti-anxiety and or anti-depressant? I;m always stressed and worried and in my head... Would this help?

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:02 AM

Since ive been taking probiotic supplements my ibs symptoms arond my time of the month (when iget them) have improved alot. I dont get as badly bloated or constipated.They also work for my mum. i think that everyones body responds diffrently and that if probiotics dont work for them or make there symptoms worse they should stop, but for me its defintly been a help. I havent noticed any negative for it and my dr actually told me to take them as ive taken alot of anti-biotics in the past and 'bad bacteria' may be making my symtoms worse.

#52 frantic1980

frantic1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:07 AM

Hey AmzI also used probiotics to alleviate IBS symptoms, but I noticed that if I took probiotics during my treatment with antibiotics for my Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth that the probiotics cause the antibotics to have little/no effect. I also noticed that when I started taking probiotics after my treatment that it caused everything to return. I finally got rid of SIBO by cutting out the probiotics as recommended by Dr Pimmentel.If you decide to take the rifaximin/neomycin route then I would suggest you do the same. I took probiotics myself for over 2 years and they do provide great relief but my excperience was that to get rid of my IBS/SIBO completely that they need to be stopped. I tried 5 times before I finally cut the probiotics out and i've been IBS free for a few weeks now.I actually don't know anybody who takes probiotics who don't have IBS or other digestive problems. I am not saying that the probiotics are causing IBS, I just don't think normal healthy people need to take them - but they do provide relief for people with digestive problems. Some people on these board seem to think they are essential and its madness for anyone not to take them - we've all been brainwashed by the yackult advert if you ask me.

#53 frantic1980

frantic1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:12 AM

Hey freakzilla. No problem , hope the info helps.Do you think your Anxiety is related to your IBS? I've been on anti-depressants 3 times since I've had IBS, don't know if that's what caused it or not... I keep some 5-HTP handy for when I get on a downer - usually after a night of drinking. 5-HTP is the precurser to serotonin; the neuro-transmitter that promotes the feeling of happiness in the brain. I find it really helps, especially taking them before bed.

#54 IanRamsay

IanRamsay

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1062 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:30 AM

I take probiotics and i DONT have IBS or other GI issues any more. there are a few of us on here actually.....
Emetophobic since 1987, IBS A (More C) since 1990, Chronic GERD + Chronic Gastritis since 1987. When people say it cant get any worse, i say at least you are still breathing! Keep the faith. Currently in remission thanks to specific strain probiotics and 12 years of probiotic reaserch.

#55 freakzilla154l

freakzilla154l

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

I got the ibs book today. Gonna start reading tonight. Also my last dose of Xifaxin is tonight... My plan is to read the book, get the knowledge, and then start everything all over again with the meds. I didn't do any specific diet at all. So, this is my plan!When is the earliest I can start the Xifaxin again? Should I wait a few weeks? I don't see my doc for 3 weeks.

#56 IanRamsay

IanRamsay

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1062 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:44 PM

Christ alive man, speak to your doctor BEFORE you do anything else. please run the dosage, drug type, diet, additional probiotic supplementation and time frames for starting and ending the courses by him or her. basing your entire treatment theory from a BB is madness when Pharmaceutical drugs are concerned that can, in teh wrong dosages and in teh wrong time frames do you physical harm.Please speak to your doctor before you do anything else. get him on the phone if you have to, just run it all past him first.
Emetophobic since 1987, IBS A (More C) since 1990, Chronic GERD + Chronic Gastritis since 1987. When people say it cant get any worse, i say at least you are still breathing! Keep the faith. Currently in remission thanks to specific strain probiotics and 12 years of probiotic reaserch.

#57 freakzilla154l

freakzilla154l

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:31 AM

hey ian, i hear you... I'm done my xifaxin. its been 20 days and i feel worse believe it or not.. im actually having a lot of blood in my BM.anyways, im half way done the book. it's interesting. Im gonna call Pimentel's office to see if there's a doc in Philadelphia,PA that follows his protocol.. This is ridiculous!Ian, did you have success with his protocol or did you follow anther game plan? Probiotics have never given me relieve and I've used them for a long time!Thanks!

#58 IanRamsay

IanRamsay

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1062 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:19 PM

HiI diddnt follw pimantels plan. I have however tried a huge amount of single strain probiotics (alot of which i have cultured myself) untill i finally found the one that my body needed. it is very possible that you havent had any luck with probiotics because you havent found the one that you need. It took me 12 years.cheersIan

#59 freakzilla154l

freakzilla154l

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:37 PM

Hey frantic, What did you do the other 5 times that did not work? Did you use antibiotics all them times too? I'm just curious...Thanks!I called Dr. Pimentel office to see if they know a doctor in Philadelphia, PA that follows his protocol. They are going to call me back. I'm definitely constipated and I think this has held the xifaxin from working... I'm gonna take some senna tonight. hope it gives some relief.

#60 frantic1980

frantic1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:13 PM

Hey freakzilla,The other 5 times I took probiotics!!! I'm really getting annoyed now - Ian goes on and on about his bacteria (I thought he'd left after being exposed as a fraud). He has provided relief for his IBS by forcing his digestion to work in a way that is not normal and if he stops taking his probiotics things will go downhill again fast.I used to be dependent on probiotcs - I couldn't live without probioics before every meal at one point. I remember one Christmas going to visit my mother in a small village in scotland and was in a state of panic when I got halfway there on the train and realised I forgot mine! Had my sister running out looking for some on Christmas eve. Ian will sooner or later realise what i did which is that probiotics, although they provide relief will never cure you and when you stop taking them things will go back to normal. (See again the quotes from Dr. Mark Pimentel on my orignal post)This "one probiotic strain that your body needs" is the latest fantasy. There are over 500 bacterial strains in the Colon and ZERO in the small intestine of a healthy person. I fail to see how one magic strain can fix things and as usual his claims are not substantiated in any way. IAN: If you've got your own advice to share about your experience of curing your SIBO then I would kindly ask that you go start your own thread. Provide concrete details of your "magic strain" so other people can try it. Give citations of why this cures SIBO despite the small intestine having no bacteria. So far all i've heard is your self-declared status of 'expert' that has been exposed as false and fraud and a copy-pasted list of cultures with no proof, no citations and no credible scientific explaination.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here