Lower Left Side Dull Constant Ache - Page 2 - Abdominal Pain - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Lower Left Side Dull Constant Ache

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:38 PM

Atlantic you might want to talk to your Dr about a script for an antispasmodic.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:12 AM

Mine is in the same location. Mine is a dull continuous pain during the day, but it generally goes away completely at night when I sleep. It seems to be slightly worse after a bowel movement. Gnawing is somewhat accurate, but it is not stabbing or sharp for me. Doesn't feel like a quick "spasm." It is a 1 or 2 on a scale of 1-10 for me. But it is annoying and I think about it a lot. My BMs are all over the place regarding shape. Sometimes they are long rectangle or square shaped with squared-off edges! Sometimes they are mushy strips. Sometimes they look normal. Weird.

Can anyone describe the pain they are having in there lower left abdomen, mine seems to be in the area of the hip bone also slightly over to the right and also near the top of my leg.. I guess I would described it as a gnawing burning pain or stabbing pain at times I can almost feel a spasm. I also have been having muscle spasms in other areas of my body like across my lower stomach which hold for a few seconds and release, that is painful... and on a scale of 1 to 10 I would say it is sometimes a 4 sometimes less and the stool seem to be thinner but that changes also and as someone has said in the middle of a bowel movement it has changed. These posts are helping me understand what is going on greatly, and I appreciate any replies Thank you...

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:14 PM

I have regular pain in my lower left quadron all the time. For me however, it is always before I have a BM. I have never had the pain anywhere else unless it is gas pain, then I feel it throughout my whole ab section. My gastro doc say's it is the sigmoid section of my bowel that narrows as my body is preparing for a BM. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but for me on a scale of 1-10 it's a 10, and I have two kids!!!!!!I just came across this forum today, I could have used it 16 yrs ago!!!!I hope this info will help you in some way.Blackizs

#24 atlanticdare

atlanticdare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:38 AM

Thank you for the reply, the pain is bad today. Two days ago it was totally gone . Now it's back and I can't make a connection with any certain food. I am beginning to think that it could be a a connection with my " mood of the day", maybe I need a antidepressant? (I also have a cold and the coughing is not helping one bit).

#25 IPPO

IPPO

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:19 AM

Hi all,Been reading through this thread and there is a lot of what is being described that I also suffer with.I too get left sided pain, can be from my ribs down to my hip area, can be located on the front, right on my side or round in my back. In terms of describing the pain, it can be anything, dull ache is very common, short sharp sort of pain and sometimes almost prickly/tingly/burning I guess.I have been suffering since May/June time last year. There are periods where I will be relativly pain free for a week to 10 days but then it comes back again for a week or so then can improve.I had bloods done last July which were all fine and also an untrasound June time which was all fine. Had some updated bloods done a couple of weeks ago which were ok again and also say a GI doc for the 1st time about 10 days ago. He has booked me in for a scope down my throat and one up the back, this is for the week after next, nervous about this....For the last couple of days I have been having very uncomfortable back ache on my left side, sort of lower and mid area, very annoying and I am wondering if this may be connected or something seperate? I can spend too much time thinking about how I feel and particually the pain, hard not too sometimes.In terms of BM's I tend to go anywhere between 2 and 4 times a day, typically 3 or 4. These can be soft, in soft bits/strips, or loose and mushy. Sorry if I have rambled a bit.Ippo.

#26 Nancy from Safety Harbor

Nancy from Safety Harbor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:22 PM

It sure is comforting to know that I am not alone with the left side ache all the time. At times it is a #3 pain but sometimes it is closer to a 10, but irregardless it is always there. Laying on my left side sometimes helps and sometimes it makes it worse. If I am at my computer for a long time it makes it worse. Can't tell you how many times someone has come into my office and there I am massaging the left side of my stomach. For some reason the warmth of massaging the area eases the pain. I really believe it is imflamation of the bowell that makes it hurt more sometimes and less at other times. Yesterday I had crackers, cheese and jalepeno's. I am awaiting the consequences, and I should know better. You just get tired of watchin everything and not being able to function like everyone else. However, as maddening as IBS is, it is not cancer, right? I guess we should count our blessings that "sometimes" are ok.

#27 rckclmbr

rckclmbr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:29 PM

I have the lower left quadrant pain as well. It's not a pain that I can describe very well though, because it's more like just this thing that's there ... a bit of a dull ache, I guess, and it varies in intensity. Sometimes I think it's gone, and then notice the sensation is still there.What's unfortunate is that I have severe anxiety, just learned that I have some diverticulosis in my sigmoid colon, have IBS-C, have a large left ovarian cyst, and have a hell of a time trying to distinguish one from the other! My fear, of course, is that it is diverticulitis. After learning that I have the pockets (from a CT scan -- the pockets were too small to see during my colonoscopy) I googled to try to find out all that I could about diverticulosis, diverticulitis, and how to manage things.Bad idea when you have health anxiety. So many horror stories.Anyway, my lower left side dull ache has me pretty terrified. Just knowing the diverticulosis is there freaks me out.It's comforting to know that sometimes the pain could just be IBS ... though I am definitely sorry that others experience the same sensation!

#28 Jillywindy

Jillywindy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:34 AM

I have read that everyone who lives long enough will get some diverticulosis in their colon - at 80 years old, nearly everyone has them. The only question is, are you getting them before you are expected to ? The fact that they couldn't be observed during the colonoscopy is good news. Certainly no reason to freak out -it will only make things worse.

#29 Tassekuchen

Tassekuchen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:50 AM

I can so sympathize, with all of you, that live with the terrible discomforts that IBS brings. I've had IBS for a very long time and only once an adult did I realize what I had. As a child, no one would believe what I was saying and so I just lived with it. I have constant cramps and stabbing pains, after eating, on the lower side of my left rib and it only temporarily goes away directly after a bowel movement. Then, the entire cycle starts back up again. I have a question for anyone who might know the answer to the following: I've developed bright red blood, intermittenly, in my stool and then I feel a hot and painful burning in my rectum directly afterward. From what I've seen, online, it seems that this is a description of a anal fissure?

#30 Jillywindy

Jillywindy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:20 AM

Yes it does sound like a fissure and, if it is, it should heal up pretty quickly. If it doesn't then get it looked at.

#31 MrRoper

MrRoper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:55 AM

Hi all,I just wanted to post on here to reassure some people, as when my symptoms first started I spent a lot of time worrying etc and used this message board a number of times.I have suffered now from my symptoms for about 5 years, having constant left side dull pain (literally every day) . Like a lot of you it is about 1-2 on the pain scale and does not cause me trouble while sleeping.I have had some pretty invasive procedures done in the first few years, including a sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy, and endoscopy. multiple barium meal x-rays and a CT scan.as a 34 year old male, this is probably to much! I know far too much about my insides now :(Nothing major has been found, apart from 1 polyp and a slight constriction in my small bowl. Although there is an obvious issue with my intestines, I think the stress and worry that i put myself through has not helped one bit. My digestion is now very much in the concious rather than sub-concious.so what have I done?The first thing is to try and eat healthier, not always easy but I try my best. Stop visiting the doctors! I was spending so much time there because I was convinced something was wrong. it became almost an obsession.Try and forget about my symptoms. This isnt easy because they are always there, but in my head i try and remember that other people are worse off and that im not dead yet, so if this, whatever it is, is killing me its doing it damn slowly!Get on with my life. I became very much a recluse, feeling sorry for myself, with a 'why me' attitude. I am only just now trying to get on with things that i enjoy in my life. I will be damned if this will beat me, and if it does I will go out fighting!Anyway I just wanted people to know that they arent suffering alone, and that sometimes alot of how we deal with this is up to us personally.
  • busymommy00 likes this

#32 cherrypie09

cherrypie09

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:08 AM

I also have left sided pain/ache from around the back over the hip bone and down the left side and towards the centre of the low abdomin. The pain is there all day every day , the only time it seems to go is at bed time. on a score of 1-10 I would say its a 7, it seems worse when sitting down, and eases when laying down. Ive had ibs-d for 11 years bad for 3 but the left sided pain has only come on over the last 6 months. Its like a gnawing hot ache with occasional stabbing, like you are on fire. Also get loads of wind,gurgling and popping noises and movements around the same area.

#33 qbsmik

qbsmik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

I have the same thing so how are thing going now? I see you have been off line since 2010 ish so maybe good, anyway please post update if you see this.

#34 Nazmul Haque

Nazmul Haque

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:55 AM

Ralph, wondering how are you doing with your pain now. Apprently, I am having exactly the same thing but with a clean colonoscopy test.

#35 sonarfred

sonarfred

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:46 PM

Hello Ralph! It has been a while since your last post.  I was wondering if you ever got a good diagnosis.  My symptoms match your description to the letter.  I have had CT Scans, x-rays, ultrasound, etc.  I think the most puzzling thing about the symptoms is that it is everyday in the same region (just under the ribs on the left side and sometimes a sore back).  I am a mid-50 year old male so that is different from you.  Also in my imaging I discovered that I was born without a left side kidney so it is not related to my kidney.  My spleen, pancreas and gall bladder appear to be normal.  Anyhow, I hope to hear from you and I hope your problem has been resolved by now.  BTW, my second CT Scan was more specific to my pancreas and I drank a solution in addition to the IV contrast.

#36 busymommy00

busymommy00

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:26 PM

Where is Ralph??? LOL! Maybe he is now fine and doesn't need us any more! I just joined, experiencing left, lower quadrant colon pain for the past month. Doctor thought it may be an infection and I took a round of Cepro. No help. Just had a CT scan today and await results. I had IBS years and years ago and have been fine until now. I thought it might be a lousy diet because we were redoing our kitchen for the past few months and I didn't eat healthy at all. I am assuming the CT scan will come back clean. I do not want another colonoscopy as I had one about 8 years ago and it came out fine. I strongly believe nothing is terribly wrong with my colon, just this annoying dull ache every day. I might try the peppermint Altoids and ask my doctor for an antispasmodic.

Nice meeting you all!

#37 busymommy00

busymommy00

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:42 PM

Abdominal CT scan results back. Wow, that scan sure shows a lot! Among other things, cysts on my kidneys and liver (not to worry, according to the doctor...they are very small); small umbilical hernia; .3 mm nodule on my lung (not a worry, but she wants me to have a chest x-ray in 6 months); lastly, LOTS OF RETAINED STOOL IN COLON. This is why she thinks I have the pain. Could this be the cause of others' pain? She suggested I have a clear liquid diet for one day and see if that retained stool can move on out. I will take her advice and see how this plays out.

#38 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:13 AM

busymommy00, my CT showed some retained stoo. I did the colonoscopy preparation that cleaned out everything and I'd say it made little (or no) difference to my symptoms.

• busymommy00 likes this

#39 busymommy00

busymommy00

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:35 AM

Dang! How are you feeling now? What are you doing to minimize the discomfort? I am trying the liquid diet today and will see what happens. I will have a follow up appt. with my doctor next week.

#40 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:35 AM

Probably our conditions are different and what I am doing not necessarily will help you.

Anyway,

- Aglaee Jacob elimination diet

- Boulardii

- Glutamine

- Celibacy/chastity

- Standing desk

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here