Lower Left Side Dull Constant Ache - Page 3 - Abdominal Pain - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Lower Left Side Dull Constant Ache

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 Leo41

Leo41

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:45 PM

Hi there... I too am wondering about Ralph. I have the exact issue, but much worse. My pain is always in the left decending area... right at the hipbone maybe 1-2 inches "in". It sometimes wraps around the side, sometimes wraps around the back, or is in the back on that side. I feel it every day at some point. Some days it will flare up and be unbearable for 1-3 hours, those days it can easily make you vomit, more than once.. this can even happen 2 or even 3 times in a day. It has woken me from a sound sleep more than a few times.

I have no doubt in my mind I am feeling spasms, it can be in waves that build to a peak then subside in seconds, and repeat, over and over. You can feel the pinch and flutter when it begins, oh how intimately I know it now. I have learned a great deal over the last few months. I have no doubt I now have visceral hypersensitivity that is making it a lot worse, and also have no doubt there is a strong mind to gut link that is also messed up. (Classic IBS, but nice to understand the process at least, gives a feeling of control even if there is little)

Anyway... would like to know how things are for you now Ralph. I guess until you return we fellow sufferers can talk amongst ourselves about it, but it is nice (twisted as it sounds) to know I am not going through this pain alone. 

Not to self-promote, only to try to help those seeking any information possible (I know the feeling well).. I go into detail on my story with this damned left side pain (spastic colon) in detail here ... http://www.ibsgroup....r-some-answers/

Ray

#42 busymommy00

busymommy00

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 02:13 PM

Wow, Ray, I am so sorry to hear of all your troubles! My ache went away completely after I increased fiber and water in my diet. My issue was stool that was "stuck" in the colon and once it was moved on out with more water and fiber, I am well now.

How are you doing? Did you ever have the colonoscopy? I read your original posts and I feel so bad for you and others who are still suffering!

#43 Leo41

Leo41

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:19 PM

Busy...

Hi there and thanks for asking, and caring. It's been a lot of learning, trial, and error, but at the moment things are better. I am using Heather's peppermint tea which recently has been nothing short of a miracle for relaxing the intestines, and stopping any spasming (the relief honestly has been incredible). Also using the levbid here and there as well. Overall eating more, some pain which I can shut down with a cup of tea. Nothing like where I was. 

We have a family vaca coming up, I plan the colonoscopy shortly after. I am now searching for a better GI, and also reading up on Habba's syndrome which was posted by another member on the IBS-D forum. I plan to get tested for that. 

Glad to hear your problems have resolved. 

Ray

#44 Cortillion

Cortillion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:52 PM

Hello, I'm new to site and very concerned.  I am awaiting a colonoscopy for lower left abdominal pain and a stool sample positive for microscopic blood.  The pain I have been experiencing has been either a dull pressure or a burning, usually at or above my hip but also around the side and back always left side.  It started as just a discomfort about four months ago but has since turned into a constant pain.  It is about a 2-3 on a pain scale.   My doctor says that the presence of blood is not part of IBS but that I likely have IBS with another illness as well.  I was constipated for a couple days at the onset of this and my BM have been a little more difficult.  My doctor told me to add fiber to my diet and since I have I think food is passing through me too fast as I have been having many undigested vegi's in my stool.  My concern is that my colonoscopy will come up with colon cancer because the pain has been there so long and I have blood presence in my stool.  I am 32 and the doctor says that is in my favor, I rarely drink and don't smoke.  I have two great uncles that got colon cancer in their 60's.  I was wondering if there is anyone who have had these symptoms, who have had blood in their stool with constant pain, and if they had similar onset of symptoms.  I have had slightly more pain over the past three weeks, but that was the time I was told about the blood in my stool and my anxiety went skyhigh.  I was also diagnosed with GERD which usually was only regurgitating acidy phlegm and that has started up over the last three weeks as well, despite taking Pantazole.  Thanks for any info.

#45 Prevost77

Prevost77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:37 PM

I have the same thing. The pain seems to radiate from my back to my front at only certain times.(This is new) Doc said it was probably a nerve from the back giving out pain to the front on the lower left side abdomen causing havoc across the board. Not sure if this is true but it seems to be caused by a blockage in the colon that is related to this nerve. Doc also said that you can be blocked up and still go normally to the washroom but at some point you will see ribbon flat stool. From that I think I found the pain... When you poop normaly it enlarges your colon at the blocked area and caves in that specific nerve and the pain starts.. when you poop ribbon like no pain will come of if because you didn't stretch the blocked area but you will need to go again in 30 min with more ribbons.. "Miraculously your pain is gone for the day untill you meet MR Flusher with a normal poop!  This is just my opinion and will talk to the doc for a "wash" I'm not dealling with this for years to come!!! Ribbon poop can only be a blockage.. It's slidding between your collon and whatever is blocking you. I think doc's are taking people for a ride with " I don't see nothing" BS! I bet it could be as small as a KFC tiny tiny bone or fish bone... Whatever it is it's going to be corected!

#46 Leo41

Leo41

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:42 PM

Hello, I'm new to site and very concerned.  I am awaiting a colonoscopy for lower left abdominal pain and a stool sample positive for microscopic blood.  The pain I have been experiencing has been either a dull pressure or a burning, usually at or above my hip but also around the side and back always left side.  It started as just a discomfort about four months ago but has since turned into a constant pain.  It is about a 2-3 on a pain scale.   My doctor says that the presence of blood is not part of IBS but that I likely have IBS with another illness as well.  I was constipated for a couple days at the onset of this and my BM have been a little more difficult.  My doctor told me to add fiber to my diet and since I have I think food is passing through me too fast as I have been having many undigested vegi's in my stool.  My concern is that my colonoscopy will come up with colon cancer because the pain has been there so long and I have blood presence in my stool.  I am 32 and the doctor says that is in my favor, I rarely drink and don't smoke.  I have two great uncles that got colon cancer in their 60's.  I was wondering if there is anyone who have had these symptoms, who have had blood in their stool with constant pain, and if they had similar onset of symptoms.  I have had slightly more pain over the past three weeks, but that was the time I was told about the blood in my stool and my anxiety went skyhigh.  I was also diagnosed with GERD which usually was only regurgitating acidy phlegm and that has started up over the last three weeks as well, despite taking Pantazole.  Thanks for any info.

Please report back, my pain has always been lower left. A dull ache at times to horrid 2 hr long spasms. This is at the hipbone, inside maybe 1" directly in my side, can wrap to bellybutton, or go across my lower-mid left back. I do have mucus and the very occasional visible blood. 

I am curious how this goes. 

#47 zboz78

zboz78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:39 PM

I am a male in my 40s. About 5 years ago, I started to have a burning sensation in my lower left abdomen. Sometimes it radiates to my back, or legs, but it is mainly in the lower left abdomen. It is at its worst when I’m sitting or lying down. Eating always makes it worse, no matter what food it is. I have tried all kinds of diets, including cutting seeds out of my life, and eating lots of fiber. I have been to at least 20 doctors, including gastroenterologists, urologists, radiologists, neurologists, and surgeons. I have had every possible testing done, some of them multiple times, including CT scans (with and without contrast), MRI, X-Ray, ultrasound, even a PET scan, which is usually only done for cancer screening. My blood work has never shown anything abnormal. I have had multiple colonoscopy and upper endoscopy done. Doctors have told me it was things like IBS, diverticulitis, ulcers, and many more things, but all have been proven to be false. I have taken several rounds of Cipro and Flagyl for the diverticulitis, and my last colonoscopy showed that even the pouches vanished, which is impossible, so I either never had them or they are still there. Recently, a doctor told me it was some type of hernia, so I had a laparoscopy done, but that showed no signs for hernias, only some twisting of the large intestine, which my surgeon said he fixed. Five days later, I ended up in the emergency room because my heart was beating too fast once I realized all my symptoms were back after the surgery. Afterwards, a doctor told me it might be cancer, which was proven false with the PET scan. Then, I went to a psychiatrist and she diagnosed me with depression and anxiety, which I think is a result from having so many scares over the years and always being on the edge of my seat while waiting for results, so I am taking many medications for that. The burning went away for a month or so, but now it is back and I do not know how to deal with it and the depression at the same time. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME! If you have had a similar experience or know someone with similar symptoms, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

#48 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:57 AM

I don't know the solution yet, but I am looking for it and really hope to find it.

#49 Mike Bailey

Mike Bailey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:27 PM

It's reassuring to read that my symptoms of a dull ache in my lower left quadrant isn't unique. Due to the fact we're all on here tells me we have a habit of turning to google for answers and that can be pretty scary.

I'm that guy who jumps to the big "C" when there is something wrong, I never thought the pain could be linked to my IBS (self diagnosed).

Aside from the sometimes urgent call of nature, and the annoying dull ache I guess things could be worse, right?!

Anyway, I have some tests booked in the coming weeks so hopefully it's nothing too serious.

#50 akathedude

akathedude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:26 PM

I remember my first pain started in the bottom left hand side of my stomach almost 4 months ago. The pain ranged between 1-4 in the scale of 10. When i first got it, i thought it would go away, but it seems to come and go and its always in the same place. A month later i went and see my doctor, he told me i must have pulled a muscle or twitched a nerve and see if it gets better over time, 3 weeks later i went to see him again he did a urine and blood test ( both results were fine). He told me to see if the pain persists to come back , which i did a month later and he requested a CT scan ,the results were fine, other than they spotted arthritic changes at the sacroiliac joint, the doctor said i need to reduce a bit more weight for the arthritics but he coudn't find any symptoms that is causing the pain on my left hand side of my stomach. 

He asked me to take tylenol to help with the pain and if the pain continues to bother me to schedule a colonoscopy. I really dont want to do this, i am going to try to be more conscious of what i am  eating , try to do some yoga/stretching/walking and going to see an ayurvedic doctor. A colleague i work with told me that Ayurveda helped him with his Ulcerative Colitis and IBS. 

I am going to try to see if this works, i dont want to live with the pain. I will keep everyone posted on how my progress is going.

#51 busymommy00

busymommy00

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:22 PM

I can't diagnose everyone's pain, but just ask yourself if constipation might your problem. I don't really equate constipation to few bowel movements, but rather "hard" when I do have one, which is almost daily. I now take Metamucil fiber powder, 2 tsp., twice per day with lots of water, and my left colon pain is gone! If it comes back, I know it's because I haven't had enough fiber and water that day. We need to drink lots of water and eat lots of fiber!

#52 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:09 PM

Good to know that psyllium helped you, busymommy.

#53 akathedude

akathedude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Busymommy - pain has reduced a bit but its still there :(

#54 johndear

johndear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:26 PM

I also have exactly the same problem as Raph. Does anyone have a follow-up on this strange dull LLQ pain?

#55 sonarfred

sonarfred

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:35 AM

Not sure what happened to Ralph.  If you look at my earlier post you can see my symptoms and history.  I wanted to post my outcome since there are many problems to share but the solutions are in short supply.  It turns out that the problem is costochondritis.  I really didn't want to believe in this diagnosis but now that the problem is less severe, I can tell that is is my ribs and the pain is more easily duplicated.  Might not be your problem but certainly something to look into.

#56 Veruca78

Veruca78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:40 AM

I just joined this group because I was searching for answers online about my constant abdominal pain.  I am relieved that I am not alone in this struggle!  I have had this pain for over 1 year now.  I have had x-rays, ultra sounds, a CT scan and colonoscopy to try to determine what is wrong.  Everything came back "clear" and blood work always comes back fine...but the pain persists and worries me to the point that my anxiety levels are always high.  After the colonoscopy, I was diagnosed with IBS, but not given any real good suggestions on how to reduce the pain other than taking fiber or getting on medication (and I try to avoid just taking medication if I can) and none of the doctors I have spoken to act like it is an issue or can give me any answers.  That has been extremely frustrating because I feel like a broken record and no one seems to care that I hurt...ALL THE TIME.  I take a very good probiotic every day and also take fiber 2-3 times a day, along with trying to eat better and drink more water...but it hasn't seemed to help with the pain and some days doesn't help with my loose stools either.  I am going to try the peppermint that has been suggested...and I will confirm that drinking alcohol does provide temporary relief from the pain, but my husband is now concerned that I am crossing into self medication with it (and he is probably correct).  I also know that this isn't a good idea mostly because after the brief relief, it actually aggravates my IBS and causes very loose BMs.  

I am looking forward to reading more and hopefully getting a handle on this because it really has affected my quality of life.

#57 busymommy00

busymommy00

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:12 PM

Hi, Veruca! I am so sorry for your pain. I have been there/done that for many years now. What is the right treatment plan for one person, may not help another, so it is experimentation until you find relief, unfortunately. With that said, I can say that my IBS has improved tremendously with seeing my doctor, experimenting, etc. I would strongly advise against alcohol consumption, for many reasons. You won't come out ahead with self-medication of this type.

I can tell you what I do to make myself feel better from my IBS symptoms. First thing in the morning, I take one VSL#3 probiotic bill, recommended by my doctor. I used to take up to 8 per day when my IBS was really bothering me, so you can take a varied dosage of this probiotic. I also take 145 mg. of Linzess, which is intended for constipation, although it is NOT a laxative. I would have left side colon pain due to retained stool. Don't know if this is your problem, but it was mine. The Linzess allows an easier bowel movement for me.

I always drink lots and lots of water during the day. I also eat plenty of fiber in veggies and fruits. I always have salad, spinach, apricots, bran cereal, just look at the labels for high-fiber foods.

Another thing I do is take powder Metamucil two times per day. I take two teaspoons in a very large glass of water twice per day. Again, this meets my water and fiber quota quite well.

That is what I do each and every day to get rid of colon/abdominal pain and it has been working quite nicely these days. I don't know if any of this will work for you, but when one is desperately seeking relief, you need to try, try and try again.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing!

#58 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 02:37 AM

I have been recently looking into the mindbody connection. The idea is that this is some kind of self-sabotage and the best approach is try to ignore it.

#59 Akn1965

Akn1965

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:18 AM

Best thing is ignoring.what happenes will happen.in this idea I spent my past years. The more you brood on it the worst it becomes.
Thanks jaumeb.

#60 PolyVinalDistillate

PolyVinalDistillate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:56 PM

I'm a little worried about Ralph - hope they're ok

I came across this thread searching for various combinations of "lower left abdominal pain" and most of the posts here seem to mirror my current symptoms very closely. I wonder if anyone can describe how their symptoms began? With me, it was fairly sudden, after a noctournal computer programming marathon. It began with a fullness round the back, like needing a poop, but nothing was willing to make its way out. I put it down to a bit of constipation- after this, the lower-left abdominal pain began to set in. Initially, it was like the cramps just before a bout of diarrhea (but with no diarrhea) and then became a bloated feeling. Aside from the initial cramps (almost doubled-up painful) which passed over the course of an hour or so, the symptoms continued for a few days - I found that walking long distances made the pain flair up more, but the bloated feeling stuck with me continuously. It wasn't debilitating to the point I couldn't get about, but it certainly made picking things up off the floor while sitting on an office chair uncomfortable.

As I'm completely unfamiliar with such sensations - I've never had problems with my bowels - and it continued for over a week, I made an appointment at the doc's, and the earliest I could be seen was the following week. By the time I got to the appointment, there was no symptoms! Just typical! But a few days after, the nagging discomfort / pain that's described here started. Anyway, back to the appointment - The doctor palpitated my belly, applied the customary gloved and slimey finger that's so common under these circumstances and announced all was apparently normal barring obvious signs of hemorrhoids. I think she noticed on my record that I had previously been flagged to have a hereditary haemochromatosis test (I completely forgot about that appointment a couple of years ago), so I was booked in for a blood test, then a fasting blood test.

At the fasting blood test, I asked the nurse if I should make another appointment for my sore gut and was told that if the symptoms are still present, I should. So about 3 or 4 weeks after my first appointment, I got up to go to the second appointment and once again, no symptoms! I've only got a sample of 2 to base this on so far, but this pain seems to be scared of doctors! It turns out my iron levels are twice the maximum however, and with the lack of belly related symptoms to show off the appointment turned into a haemochromatosis talk and firm admonishment not to overlook the genetics testing appointment this time! I've been back to provide blood samples for the genetics test and am still waiting to hear back, but I'm completely unconvinced that haemochromatosis will be the explanation for the gut pain. It tends to cause liver or pancreas problems if advanced enough.

The pain now seems to have settled into a pattern of sorts, unaffected by foods or coffee. It'll flair up for a few days, and then seem to be almost if not completely gone for a couple of days after. It never affects my sleep, although I have noticed the last couple of days that I can feel it when I lie down. When I wake up it's not there at all. My BMs are pretty much once a day and largely normal (although can cross between Type 3 and Type 4 on the Bristol stool chart in one BM) with the only notable change being that they're softer than they used to be since I started eating a lot of sunflower seeds for the fibre, and on the advice of my father who claims they've worked wonders for his hemorrhoids.

One thing I have noticed is that when lying on my back, if I feel around the source of the pain (sigmoid colon and above) with some pressure, I can feel a sausage-shaped lump that's almost as hard as cartilage extending from about a level with my bellybutton right down to near my bladder, following the path of the colon. It's not sore and there's no swollen lymph nodes I can find in the area, but it's an annoying and worrying lump. It seems to come and go too, sometimes feeling very worrying and at other times being unnoticeable unless I *really* look for it. I suspect it vanishes altogether at times. If I could find documented evidence of it being possible, I'd assume I was feeling faeces in my colon, awaiting escape. It's definitely not the tendon at the top of my leg/hip.

I intend to keep chasing this up with the doctors, but I'm due to travel for the first 2/3 of this month so the next appointment will be after that. Just thought I'd post here to see if anyone has any input. I'll also keep posting here because I know the mysterious vanishing of Ralph has slightly worried me!

Well - that's the first time I've ever talked so much poop (insert classic Scottish synonym) on a forum!

Oh - I'm 35 and male by the way, with no (known) medical conditions barring lifelong seborrhoeic dermatitis.

EDIT: I meant to add - I will try the peppermint tea that I've seen suggested a few times above. It sounds enjoyable and promising : )

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here