IBS and Sciatica - Abdominal Pain - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS and Sciatica

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:45 PM

Advertisement
I sit all day at work and find my sciatica is acting up again, but I also notice that during this latest "bout" of IBS my sciatica is worse. I can actually feel the gas in my intestines pressing on the nerve.This is a new one for me.

#2 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:18 PM

Well if that sciatic nerve is angry enough..doesn't surprise me that you would be feeling this. Have you any treatment to ease the sciatica? Perhaps a trip to the Dr's or the Chiro may ease it for you. I know this can come & go and the severity of it varies from bout to bout.. but perhaps it is time to go see someone about it.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:54 AM

Honestly I am so tired of doctors, I don't want to see another one for a while, a long while. I used to work for Ortho MD, know the drill on sciatic....rest, meds, rest, meds.Just frustrated that IBS exacerbates other things I have that normally wouldn't bother a person.Thanks though, I appreciate it.

#4 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:42 AM

Wendaka I know it is miserable. I have had it twice and yeah I know the drill too. I remember being worried about making to the bathroom in time then because I sure couldn't move very fast. And the meds... oy... I had to take Benadryl with them or I would throw it all up. So I know it is an awful thing to have along with the IBS. Try to hang in there and give your gut a break with easy to digest comfort foods while on the meds. Hope you have a heating pad and perhaps when you get to feeling a bit better, you can try those heat patches if you haven't already. I didn't think they would work.. but they do and made such a difference for me. I even use them on my ab when my IBS pain is REAL severe.I *do* hope you feel better soon.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#5 Cal Mahoney

Cal Mahoney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

Just read the posts on sciatica , was treated for sciatica at local emergency room and suffered thru pain meds.. ( hydrocodone ) and found out that the bloating and swelling and back pain I get when I eat was associated with sciatica when finally diarrhea forced everything out and I felt better right away !!! I have tried everything from Amitiza , milk of mag. tabs, had all kinds of tests and everyone thinks I am crazy when I say everything I eat or sometimes when I smell food or think about it my stomach swells.. I don't know where to turn or what to do ,, How long can a person live without eating,,Something I am considering !!!I I welcome  all suggestions , Thanks

#6 ashishpatel

ashishpatel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

I suffered from sciatica and it was not a pleasant experience. well this website seems to be really useful for helping sciatica.

Thanks

Cure Sciatica Naturally - No Drugs, No Surgery, No Exercise, No Physical Therapy

#7 Linda76017

Linda76017

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:10 PM

OMG I nearly fainted when I read your post Wendaca. I have been trying to tell people I can actually feel when the gas and bowels move in correlation to my sciatica and IBS that they are connected somehow and nobody believes me
  • David L likes this

#8 David L

David L

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 10:34 AM

Hi, I'm new here and have this problem. It's definitely a vicious cycle. I have found some ways to help with the sciatica - yoga postures like pigeon and cobbler, but it's not always successful. I did convince my employer to get me a standing desk, which helps take pressure off the nerve. The symptoms you all are describing sound familiar!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here