Domperidone ... ? - Constipation Prescription Medications - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Domperidone ... ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Beckette

Beckette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:48 AM

Advertisement
Has anyone tried domperidone? If so, did it work for you? What were your side effects? I'm currently on it now. Last summer I was put on Reglan to see if that might help my IBS-C and it did (a lot!)... but I started to have side effects and the Doctor was apprehensive because Reglan carries the risk of tardive dyskinesia. However, I don't get the same results now as I did with Reglan. Just curious as to what others have experienced with domperidone. Thanks for the input.
"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." -Khalil Gibran.

#2 conniev

conniev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:11 AM

Hi-My mom takes domperidone for her gastroparesis. She too was originally on reglan and experienced some nasty side effects. The domperidone works for her up to a point but she also has ibs-c and severe abdominal pain so it is hard to say how much. I can definitely tell you that she really hasn't experienced any negative side effects other than tiredness with the domperidone however. I do know that lactating breasts are one of the more common side effects one could experience but in my moms case this did not occur. I wish you luck.ConnieV

#3 em_t

em_t

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:37 PM

hey, I take Domperidone for severe nausea associated with IBS and suspected delayed gastric emptying (or gastroparesis) I can honestly say its one of the better prescription drugs I've taken for CC, particularly the debilitating nausea I get. It not only stops the nausea and increases the rate at which food is released from the stomach but it also has a small effect on how quickly food moves through the intestines, so I read somewhere!I was on Metaclopramide as well but suffered really bad side effects, but been on the Domperidone for 3 months now and no side effects at all, so hopefully it will work well for you.I still need by Dulcolax and Magnesium for constipation but Domperidone definitely helps build an appetite, which is good if you're like me and suffer from a lack of it!

#4 GAgirl

GAgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:13 PM

I also had good results with Reglan, but had to stop taking it because I couldn't stay awake when I took it. They put me on Domperidone after that and it didn't really help me that much.

#5 lorilou

lorilou

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:49 PM

hey, I take Domperidone for severe nausea associated with IBS and suspected delayed gastric emptying (or gastroparesis) I can honestly say its one of the better prescription drugs I've taken for CC, particularly the debilitating nausea I get. It not only stops the nausea and increases the rate at which food is released from the stomach but it also has a small effect on how quickly food moves through the intestines, so I read somewhere!I was on Metaclopramide as well but suffered really bad side effects, but been on the Domperidone for 3 months now and no side effects at all, so hopefully it will work well for you.I still need by Dulcolax and Magnesium for constipation but Domperidone definitely helps build an appetite, which is good if you're like me and suffer from a lack of it!

#6 lorilou

lorilou

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

question!!!! for those of you who had side effects with reglan was it tardive d.? and if so were the SE permanet?im trying to wean off- did you just quit cold turkey???lori

#7 Lookin'foraLife

Lookin'foraLife

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:12 AM

I'm on domperidone brand name MOTILIUM and have been for a year and a half now.Excellent med and the ONLY ONE that managed to take away my debitilating nausea.I take it 3 times a day. NO SIDE EFFECTS whatsoever.

#8 Shell13

Shell13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:05 AM

I also take Domperidone for nausea and faster movement through the stomach. It works great for that, but does NOT help with constipation whatsoever. No side effects though, and I'm the Queen of getting terrible side effects from any medication. Hope it helps with your IBS-C, everyone is different, right?Posted Image

#9 faze action

faze action

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

I hated Reglan... it's the worst medication that I've ever been on, in terms of the side effects (thankfully I've been relatively medication-free for my entire life though).

One week at 5mg, once daily (a tiny dose) and I experienced all the breast enlargment side effects, plus the drowsiness, plus abdominal pain/diarrhea, plus by the end of the week I was extremely depressed (I know this was due to the drug because it all disappeared gradually over the next two weeks when I stopped it). I have never taken domperidone and I won't because of the lactation issue.

I can, however, give Iberogast a glowing recommendation for anyone who wants to try it. It's an herbal prokinetic that is backed up by research studies where it was shown to have comparable efficacy to Reglan (not sure if it was compared to domperidone, specifically). I've been on it for almost 8 months with ZERO side effects. I cannot tell if is (or will) prevent the recurrnec of SIBO, but it sure as heck helps with bloating and distension, trapped gas, etc. I've heard it can help with GERD too (but I don't suffer from that). You can order it form Amazon since it's not available in the States.

#10 ryan2801

ryan2801

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:15 PM

I used to take Domperidone for occasional bouts of nausea but decided to try 10mg daily for my IBS and was amazed that it reduced ALL symptoms by 90%! I then checked online to see if it was OK to take it daily and a recent report states that long  term use can result in a small risk of cardiovascular problems. Typical! I've no idea what to do now. sad.png

#11 miotres

miotres

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:49 AM

From what I have heard, Reglan has more issues with serious side effects such as depression and even seizures. I've heard some take it with no problem at all, but others can't handle it. I preferred the lower risk of side effect with the domperidone.

So happy biggrin.png  I found http://highrepute.net/go/Domperidone laugh.png and got domperidone a way cheaper with promocode "GET10"

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here