trazodone? - Prescription Medications - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

trazodone?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kc99

kc99

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:13 PM

Advertisement
Hello all, The most recent idea from my doctor was that I try trazodone (25 mg/day) for my IBS symptoms. Has anyone else tried this? If so, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts or experiences. I'd be particularly interested to hear if you felt it made you shift more towards C,D, or neither.

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9204 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:00 PM

for the past five years i have been taking trazodone 75 mg/day (originally 50mg/day) for insomnia. i have ibs-c and it has not adversely affected my c thank goodness--c is supposed to be a side effect of traz. only side effects for me have been drowsiness --extreme at first then it mellowed out some---and dry mouth--fairly severe at first but that pretty much went away once i had been taking it for a while.but we all react so differently to meds so really the best thing to do is just try it yourself and see. hope it helps you.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 AZGuy

AZGuy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:42 AM

for the past five years i have been taking trazodone 75 mg/day (originally 50mg/day) for insomnia. i have ibs-c and it has not adversely affected my c thank goodness--c is supposed to be a side effect of traz. only side effects for me have been drowsiness --extreme at first then it mellowed out some--i take it at night of course for sleep--and dry mouth--fairly severe at first but that pretty much went away once i had been taking it for aa while.but we all react so differently to meds so really the best thing to do is just try it yourself and see. hope it helps you.

Been quite awhile since this post..but I'm curious if you're still taking trazodone and if that med give you any relief from your IBS? I have IBS-D but I see yours is C.

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9204 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 08:46 AM

yes, i'm still taking trazodone for insomnia and no, it never did help me with my C.  

(back in 2010,   the docs told me i had ibs-c but later on i finally had some tests and they showed that i didn't have ibs at all.  instead i was dx'd with colonic inertia, pfd and some other problems.)

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 AZGuy

AZGuy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:37 PM

yes, i'm still taking trazodone for insomnia and no, it never did help me with my C.  

(back in 2010,   the docs told me i had ibs-c but later on i finally had some tests and they showed that i didn't have ibs at all.  instead i was dx'd with colonic inertia, pfd and some other problems.)

Wow, sorry you had to endure so much for it not to be IBS at all. Glad they figured it out in the end though.

Well I hope to start trazodone for sleep but I hear its a light anti-depressant and anti-anxiety pill. So I'm hoping that helps with my IBS-D in some way.

#6 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9204 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 02:09 PM

good luck!  hope it helps!  keep us posted. 

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here