Does my TEEN have to eat like he is 80? - Parent's discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Does my TEEN have to eat like he is 80?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Billie.Goulet

Billie.Goulet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:38 AM

Advertisement
My son is 16. Has been suffering with IBS for most of his life. But, in the past few months it has gotten severe. He spends hours in the bathroom with severe cramping. I know I have to change his diet. But after sitting here this past week researching, I havent come across much that doesnt look like an elderly persons diet. And not to mention, my son isnt real thrilled about the food options we have come across. Isnt there some where to get some recipes that are teen friendly??? Please help. I feel horrible for him. The meds they gave him do nothing. So, I know its the diet that has to be changed now.

#2 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:52 AM

What are his symptoms besides the cramping?BTW IBS doesn't always have to do with the foods that are eaten it can have more to do with the simple fact that you have eaten. So it isn't always about just the food.There are many triggers... stress (positive or negative), extremes in temperatures, hormones.. etc
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#3 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:56 AM

Well sometimes diet makes a difference and sometimes it doesn't. There isn't a one size fits all diet for IBS, and I'm not sure which one you are using that sounds like it is only for really old people.That being said, high fat, highly processed junk food really isn't good for anyone even if teens can get away with eating a lot of that stuff.Eating healthy is a good idea even if you don't have IBS. That being said, the following types of food tend to cause more diarrhea than other options.High fat, fried, greasy foods.Raw or juices of high sorbitol fruits (apples pears peaches cherries--cooking them gets rid of the sorbitol)Some people have issues with fructose (so sodas may be a problem with the high fructose corn syrup) and some may have issues with lactose (but hard cheeses should be OK if he tolerates the fat, or lower fat cheeses that are aged rather than soft/fresh should be OK).Cooked veggies are usually easier than raw ones, but I ate lots of cooked veggies even as a child/teen as we always ate them every meal. I didn't think they were only for 80 year olds.Some people do better on a lower carb diet so limiting starches (rather than all bland all starch all the time) may be helpful.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#4 cookies4marilyn

cookies4marilyn

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:41 PM

There are so many IBS diets out there that it can be confusing - after having had IBS since 1983, I was down to crackers and water at one point because everything seemed to put me into severe pain and attacks. Common sense would say not to eat something that would already aggrivate his system, but we know from experience that sometimes if the person eats the 'trigger' food unknowingly, there are no problems.Take a peek at my links below- I no longer follow an IBS diet, and there can be a way forward for your son. In the meantime, he could probably have a modified pizza, keep it as bland as possible, and pasta usually is pretty safe - but some people have tomato as a trigger, others do not, so as mentioned, it is not a one-size fits all thing. And to add to the complications, many IBS patients can have one food one day with no problem, and another day it may be the opposite. If I can be of any help, please let me know - I speak (for free) with many IBS patients to share what has helped me after all else failed.All the best, and do not give up hope for your son! :)

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here